Help with X Dna puzzle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with X Dna puzzle?

I hope someone can help me i am very closely related to a match on my FF and Gedmatch, i do know we share a 4xgrt grandfather on both our fathers side as well as matching on the Autosomal as expected we are connected 4.9 on the X Dna.

as far as i know there is completely no connection at all with our mothers and as i understand it a father dose not pass his X Chromosome to his son but my connection to this lady is through my grandmother(my fathers mother) although my grandfather also on my dads side was cousin to his wife through his mother, i wonder could this have caused me to inherit some of my grandmother and grt grandmothers X Chromosome.

the Lady i am related to would have inherited her fathers X Chromosome but if the father dose not pass the X to son i am baffled why i match her with X?

I am also matching other people from this line both Autosomal and X Chromosome but as i say the chances of my mother matching this line are at best very slim i just cant see it?

sorry its a bit confusing i wasnt even sure how to ask the question so hope someone can help even if its a short answer. thank you.

I can tell you this: A man cannot pass on his X chromosome to his sons. Only to his daughters. However, his X can be passed on to his grandsons through his daughters. Something like that might have happened in your family tree.

I first began to notice this when looking at my own X (and my mother's), as compared to our matches (mainly from Sweden) -- on GEDmatch. Then, on 23 and Me, my X has segments on it common with Swedish people and some Finnish people. As far as we know, my maternal grandmother had no Swedish or Finnish background -- but her husband (my maternal grandfather) had a mother who immigrated from Sweden in the 19th Century. In other words, my X, from my mother, came to me this way: my Swedish great-grandmother --> her son, my grandfather --> my mother --> me.

X's do recombine, but I'll leave that topic for others to delve into.

P.S. As far as my mother's X chromosomes go, she matches up with two general groups of distant cousins on GEDmatch: We'll calll the first group Swedes & Finns (part of the background of her father); we'll call the second group New England descendants (part of the background of her mother).
    Last edited by mixedkid; 14 June 2013, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mixedkid View Post
      I can tell you this: A man cannot pass on his X chromosome to his sons. Only to his daughters. However, his X can be passed on to his grandsons through his daughters. Something like that might have happened in your family tree.

I first began to notice this when looking at my own X (and my mother's), as compared to our matches (mainly from Sweden) -- on GEDmatch. Then, on 23 and Me, my X has segments on it common with Swedish people and some Finnish people. As far as we know, my maternal grandmother had no Swedish or Finnish background -- but her husband (my maternal grandfather) had a mother who immigrated from Sweden in the 19th Century. In other words, my X, from my mother, came to me this way: my Swedish great-grandmother --> her son, my grandfather --> my mother --> me.

X's do recombine, but I'll leave that topic for others to delve into.
      Thank you mixedkid my connection is from my dad so as you say it rules out the X being from my father it can only be another connection through my mother or Gedmatch are wrong? its had me thinking hard i wonder if the 4.9 result is so far back it could be cavemen lol?

Comment

Working...
      X