Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Formula for calculating Neanderthal Percentage?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The show is rather entertaining.

    Even more entertaining when I imagine what would happen if some hirsute humanoid jumped out of the bushes at them. Lol.



    Originally posted by 1796 View Post
    One of my guilty pleasures! Best "entertainment" from a "reality show" that I've seen.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
      The show is rather entertaining.

      Even more entertaining when I imagine what would happen if some hirsute humanoid jumped out of the bushes at them. Lol.
      Yep, that is exactly what I have been waiting for. They really need to step it up from just getting rocks thrown at them. Oh, and while we are talking about our wish lists. I do hope they get a dog on there as a regular. That would then cement the show for me as an adult version of Scooby Doo!

      Comment


      • #18
        ...or you could make extra cash on the side doing Geico commercials...

        Comment


        • #19
          I would definitely take any and all of those tests with a grain of salt. I seriously doubt modern homo sapien sapiens had much if any breeding with Homo neanderthalensis. Why would they?
          I think the current collective evidence points to inbreeding at some point in modern human history. Even the original non believers are coming around when confronted with the evidence. In this article DNA evidence is discussed.

          http://anthro.palomar.edu/homo2/mod_homo_2.htm

          Although I agree that current measurments should not be taken seriously the fact that it happened cannot be easily dismissed.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
            I think the current collective evidence points to inbreeding at some point in modern human history. Even the original non believers are coming around when confronted with the evidence. In this article DNA evidence is discussed.

            http://anthro.palomar.edu/homo2/mod_homo_2.htm

            Although I agree that current measurments should not be taken seriously the fact that it happened cannot be easily dismissed.
            Thanks for posting Brunetmj. Honestly I don't know much about this. They mentioned that they found different mito haplogroups for these guys. Is there an actual list of them somewhere? They would probably not match any of the known ones today correct?

            I am also surprised by how tall the average male was. I guess what I am trying to say is that somehow I always imagined Neanderthals being well over 6 feet tall.

            Comment


            • #21
              No offense but one article is not evidence of collective consensus, in fact, you cannot get Antropologists/Archaeologists to agree about most anything let alone something as controversial as Neanderthal modern human interbreeding.

              Personally I think it's kind of hogwash. I mean who is to say it would even be genetically possible and even if it were what is the offspring were sterile like mules?

              And no 1796- Neanderthals are portrayed as hulking brutes but they were actually about 64-67cm tall in males and about 3-4 cm less in females based upon the skeletal long bones. But if you think about it modern humans weren't 6 feet tall either. We have gotten taller with each generation due to better diet, medicine, etc. So we were actually about the same height as Neanderthals during that time period.

              But if people want to believe they are part Neanderthal, whatever.

              It reminds me of that Timothy Hutton, Lindsay Crouse, John Lone movie from about 20 years ago- Iceman. If you haven't seen it you might want to rent it. It was actually very interesting and somewhat current. Scientists in the arctic find a frozen Neanderthal (maybe it wasn't the arctic but somewhere mountainous) and figure out how to defrost him and bring him back to life. It isn't a comedy. Lol.



              Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
              I think the current collective evidence points to inbreeding at some point in modern human history. Even the original non believers are coming around when confronted with the evidence. In this article DNA evidence is discussed.

              http://anthro.palomar.edu/homo2/mod_homo_2.htm

              Although I agree that current measurments should not be taken seriously the fact that it happened cannot be easily dismissed.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
                No offense but one article is not evidence of collective consensus, in fact, you cannot get Antropologists/Archaeologists to agree about most anything let alone something as controversial as Neanderthal modern human interbreeding.

                Personally I think it's kind of hogwash. I mean who is to say it would even be genetically possible and even if it were what is the offspring were sterile like mules?

                And no 1796- Neanderthals are portrayed as hulking brutes but they were actually about 64-67cm tall in males and about 3-4 cm less in females based upon the skeletal long bones. But if you think about it modern humans weren't 6 feet tall either. We have gotten taller with each generation due to better diet, medicine, etc. So we were actually about the same height as Neanderthals during that time period.

                But if people want to believe they are part Neanderthal, whatever.

                It reminds me of that Timothy Hutton, Lindsay Crouse, John Lone movie from about 20 years ago- Iceman. If you haven't seen it you might want to rent it. It was actually very interesting and somewhat current. Scientists in the arctic find a frozen Neanderthal (maybe it wasn't the arctic but somewhere mountainous) and figure out how to defrost him and bring him back to life. It isn't a comedy. Lol.
                Lol Mollyblum, just for clarification did you mean to say 67 inches not 67 cm. I am actually 67 inches. Thanks for your input as you have more expertise in this area as my degrees are not in anthropology or archeology.

                It seems that there is always some kind of controversy no matter what the subject matter is with this genetics business. I am curious though, do they have any mtDNA groups for Neanderthals? I need something, I don't think they are going to find my buddy the Squatch....

                Comment


                • #23
                  Here's a video

                  http://m.video.pbs.org/video/2323758207/

                  No the Neanderthal genes found in humans are autosomal

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
                    Here's a video

                    http://m.video.pbs.org/video/2323758207/

                    No the Neanderthal genes found in humans are autosomal
                    Oh yes I knew that. Just wondering if they have mtDNA groups listed for them.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by ahernandez View Post
                      Does anyone know the formula for calculating an individual's Neanderthal percentage?

                      I tried to run my raw data through Interpretome and it didn't take the FTDNA file. So I ran it through Promethease and out of the 42 SNPs I got 22 (see below), that seems like more than the average of 7 to 10 SNPs for Europeans, but it doesn't give me the %. So given my result, how do I calculate the estimated percentage of Neanderthal DNA I have?
                      If you're still interested in calculating the Neanderthal component, I found a blog that tells you how to convert your ftdna raw data to [mimic] 23andme.

                      *section 6. "Converting FF data to 23andMe format"

                      http://cryokidconfessions.blogspot.c...ftdna-raw.html

                      Once you have done this you will be able to upload your new data file to Interpretome and hopefully obtain some interesting results!
                      I've just uploaded mine and I have 8 out of 84 of the Neanderthal alleles....

                      Not sure if this constitutes a percentage yet but will report back when I have more info:

                      http://science.kqed.org/quest/2011/0...rthal-are-you/

                      **Before you begin I suggest you ensure you save your original ftdna raw data in a safe location (don't want to gt things mixed up!).

                      Cheers
                      Last edited by N21163; 12 June 2013, 11:31 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Thanks. I'll try that.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          [QUOTE=N21163;364434]If you're still interested in calculating the Neanderthal component, I found a blog that tells you how to convert your ftdna raw data to [mimic] 23andme.

                          *section 6. "Converting FF data to 23andMe format"

                          My ftdna raw data is over 12,000 pages in MS Word and my computer freezes when I try and replace the characters as directed on the blog. Is there some other way to accomplish this?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by cokie View Post
                            Originally posted by N21163 View Post
                            If you're still interested in calculating the Neanderthal component, I found a blog that tells you how to convert your ftdna raw data to [mimic] 23andme.

                            *section 6. "Converting FF data to 23andMe format"
                            My ftdna raw data is over 12,000 pages in MS Word and my computer freezes when I try and replace the characters as directed on the blog. Is there some other way to accomplish this?
                            Try my little program (src code included).
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Thanks Felix, it works beautifully. The results I got from Interpretome are somewhat.. interesting..

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by cokie View Post
                                Thanks Felix, it works beautifully. The results I got from Interpretome are somewhat.. interesting..
                                Well Cokie...don't leave us in suspense!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X