Question about Gedmatch Admixture Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Gedmatch Admixture Analysis

For some time I have suspected that one of my great great great grandmothers was a slave. I've run quite a few of Gedmatch's Ad-Mix Utilities which all give me results that include about 1.5 - 1.75% West African results. We have 64 3x great grandparents and 1/64 = 0.015625. Are the numbers a coincidence or can I assume this is more evidence that I am on the right track?

Originally posted by k.martin View Post
    For some time I have suspected that one of my great great great grandmothers was a slave. I've run quite a few of Gedmatch's Ad-Mix Utilities which all give me results that include about 1.5 - 1.75% West African results. We have 64 3x great grandparents and 1/64 = 0.015625. Are the numbers a coincidence or can I assume this is more evidence that I am on the right track?
    It appears that your Most Recent African Ancestor was 6 generations ago. She may have been a slave if she were born in slave state prior to Emancipation. It is not a given that this is the case. When was she born? Where was she born?

Whether or not your Most Recent African Ancestor was a slave or not does not reflect on her character. However, confirmation that an identifiable ancestor was enslaved will affect you. It gave me pause to learn that my paternal grandfather was born into slavery. Even if your Most Recent African Ancestor were not a slave, then it is likely that she was descended from people who were enslaved.

I just want to caution you not to read slave everything you see African.

Comment

Originally posted by k.martin View Post
      Are the numbers a coincidence
      Yes.

Comment

I have African showing up both from Dr. Mcdonald and several of the utilities on gedmatch. It's a fairly large segment on chr. 20, and in gedmatch it's usually 1-2%. How can I tell how old it is.
        My paternal is from Ukraine and maternal NW Europe but the latter were in colonial America very early, in New England and New France - British, Dutch, French, German, and Scandinavian in the paper trail.

Comment

Originally posted by MFWare View Post
          It appears that your Most Recent African Ancestor was 6 generations ago. She may have been a slave if she were born in slave state prior to Emancipation. It is not a given that this is the case. When was she born? Where was she born?

Whether or not your Most Recent African Ancestor was a slave or not does not reflect on her character. However, confirmation that an identifiable ancestor was enslaved will affect you. It gave me pause to learn that my paternal grandfather was born into slavery. Even if your Most Recent African Ancestor were not a slave, then it is likely that she was descended from people who were enslaved.

I just want to caution you not to read slave everything you see African.

Actually, I have only one tiny piece of information on her - her child, my 2nd great grandfather, was illegitimate. A deed record from my 3rd great grandfather to my 2nd great grandfather lists the son, Peter, as a natural child. So he was illegitimate but acknowledged. He was born about 1830 in Grand Cayman. His father was a slave owner, as was his grandfather. No records have been found for a wife of my 3rd great grandfather. But he did have a number of children, known to be born to a slave named Rose. In checking the 1834 slave census records, his neighbor lists a slave named Rose, of child bearing age, and a 4 year old named Peter, although there is nothing in the record to connect them. My 4th great grandfather also listed a Rose in that census. There are other little bits of circumstantial evidence that point me in the direction of her having been a slave.

Slaves were set free in 1835 in Grand Cayman, in accordance with England's Emancipation Act of 1833. It took awhile.

The thing that bugs me the most is that she is one of my brick walls. My most stubborn brick walls are women. Usually I have at least a name. In this case I don't even have that. I just hate the fact that these women are lost to history in general, and to me specifically!

Comment

Originally posted by fbirder View Post
            Yes.
            Thanks, I was afraid if that. It's never as easy as I try to make it. Sigh......

Comment

Working...
            X