Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The reason it takes so long to run a batch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reason it takes so long to run a batch?

Hi,
    Anyone know why it takes so long for ftdna to do the tests?
    Why are the batches so far away in time?

Somebody from FTDNA may chime in but, as I understand it, batches are created once a week, usually on Wednesday evenings. A batch comprises all orders received since the previous batch, so the number of kits and the types of tests can vary from week to week.

Periodically FTDNA puts various tests on sale and the orders come flooding in making some batches much larger than others.

Some tests take longer than others. For instance, a single SNP test (where your sample is already in storage) may return a result in a week, whereas an STR test for a new customer may take a number of weeks.

The due date for a batch is an estimate, presumably based on average turnaround time. FTDNA will sometimes revise batch ETA dates into the future for various reasons.

Comment

Ok, thanks.

I know it is a total different thing but when the police do a DNA check it takes like a couple of days which implies that the long wait isn't due to technical matters.
      They don't send in a batch a week to the lab do they? I guess they sit still till they have enough tests to reach some kind of threshold.

Any thoughts on that?

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
        Some tests take longer than others. For instance, a single SNP test (where your sample is already in storage) may return a result in a week, whereas an STR test for a new customer may take a number of weeks.
        There is also a large spread in the computational cost of the different tests.

The Family Finder (which includes Population Finder) requires a lot more processing than all the other tests combined.

Comment

Originally posted by klajsdfkjlkjlkjs View Post
          Ok, thanks.

I know it is a total different thing but when the police do a DNA check it takes like a couple of days which implies that the long wait isn't due to technical matters.
          They don't send in a batch a week to the lab do they?
          I imagine that police have arrangements with labs where they get top priority and lab staff may work around the clock on such jobs.

I guess they sit still till they have enough tests to reach some kind of threshold.

Any thoughts on that?
          Who sits still? If you mean FTDNA then as I mentioned they create batches weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
            Who sits still? If you mean FTDNA then as I mentioned they create batches weekly.
            If a kit arrives at FTDNA moments after a batch has been closed, that kit basically sits still for a week.

However, I consider such a wait of up to one week insignificant compared to the wait of several months for some test results.

Comment

Originally posted by Lklundin View Post
              If a kit arrives at FTDNA moments after a batch has been closed, that kit basically sits still for a week.

However, I consider such a wait of up to one week insignificant compared to the wait of several months for some test results.
              Yep.

Comment

Interesting that ancestry.com is turning around AncestryDNA kits in under two weeks from receipt, which is (correct me if I'm wrong) the same test as FamilyFinder. They did my Y47 test in nine days in 2011. I figured that was partially the impact of a smaller incoming rate for YDNA testing, but I think the autosomal incoming rate must be significantly higher at the moment.

I'm not complaining about FTDNA; they provide an expected date and almost always do a couple of weeks better. I like the tools and community MUCH better than competitors. But if you're going to talk about testing speed, I'm not sure why it takes FamilyFinder so much longer that ADNA.

Comment

I just uploaded a 23andMe transfer kit and got a message that it will take 6-10 weeks to process. I know there was a huge backlog on the transfers with added delays due to the Build 37 upgrade, but those issues are supposed to have been resolved. 6-10 weeks????

Comment

I mentioned this in another thread recently, but my experience was transferring my father's 23andMe to FF on 2 March, and getting the results about 18 April. So, about 6 weeks there. I'm sure I was told the same as you originally; 6-10 wks.

I didn't understand why it should take so long, either, but guess I figured it was the build 36>37 difficulties. Guess they are not out of the woods yet.
                    Last edited by KATM; 5 May 2013, 02:35 PM. Reason: add thought

Comment

They are working on turnaround time improvements.

I spoke with Bennett this past week and they are working hard to improve turnaround times at the labs. He cleared my 8 ala carte strs in less than a week, so I know that he is earnest in his endeavors.

It should only improve with the growth of competition...

Comment

It's good to hear that FamilyTreeDna wants to create quicker turn-around times for the test results.

Their words are "good" but I have to judge them on their actions. I upgraded my original MTdna HVR1 to the full sequencing test in the end of December at the holiday sale. The first expected due date was 2/18. The second was 3/1. The third was 3/18. The fourth was 4/29. On 4/28 I e-mailed customer service to find out if I should even get my hopes up.

It's now 5/5. I never got a response from FTDNA, but I did get a fifth expected date, 5/29.

I'm not trying to be a complainer. I know this test takes long. But like others have said, keep your word. Don't get my hopes up. Keep me informed. I feel like I'll never get these results.

I really like their product. The issues with this test will probably change whether I'll order tests for relatives through here or the competitor with the green leafs. I guess FTDna doesn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMark View Post
                          I just uploaded a 23andMe transfer kit and got a message that it will take 6-10 weeks to process. I know there was a huge backlog on the transfers with added delays due to the Build 37 upgrade, but those issues are supposed to have been resolved. 6-10 weeks????
                          You are correct. I transferred my brother's data just as FT-DNA was going into its Build 37 upgrade. The transfer of 23andMe data to FT-DNA is strictly a software issue. The data must be properly formatted which should require less than a second, run through the Population Finder admix model, which takes less than a minute, and then matched against every other autosomal genome in the Family Finder database which can be done overnight.

The fact that FT-DNA needs 6-10 weeks rather than 6-10 hours to complete the transfer indicates that it still has major problems. They could not have come at a worse time. As a 23andMe customer, I can assure you that it does a terrific job. As an AncestryDNA customer, I am not as enthusiastic. However, AncestryDNA's customer base is growing in leaps and bounds. FT-DNA is a pioneer in the field of genealogical DNA in particular and DNA sequencing in general (through its parent company).

Unfortunately, from where I sit, FT-DNA is a pioneering company with poor quality control and an archaic business model. I hope that it gets its act together before it is too late.

Comment

Originally posted by klajsdfkjlkjlkjs View Post
                            I know it is a total different thing but when the police do a DNA check it takes like a couple of days
                            I think you'll find that the police have to wait longer than like a couple of days. It's only on TV that they'll get a DNA result that soon. Besides, the forensic DNA test is a lot more simple than a genetic test, they're mainly used to eliminate suspects.

Comment

I hope so too. Since I'm half-Ashkenazi and am looking for my non-Ashkenazi ancestry, I don't share your positive view of 23andMe. It's virtually useless to me because of the cap, and the company's ongoing refusal to take measures, even temporary ones, to resolve the issues. Quite frankly, I feel ripped off, since the issue was not disclosed in advance, and the failure to address the issue adds insult to injury. I also think the recent site redesign is absolutely lousy and was clearly not done with genealogy customers in mind, so I can't say they do a terrific job. I've only had my half-siblings test there in the hope that phasing their data will be an option eventually.

Ancestry is perhaps worse. It doesn't prevent me from seeing my non-AJ matches, but because the system does such an appalling job of designating ethnic background, does not allow access to segment data, and does not adjust for Ashkenazi ancestry (how could it, since it can't reliably identify Ashkenazim), it's cumbersome and nearly useless.

The only meaningful information I've gotten thus far has come from FTDNA, whatever its flaws, and Gedmatch to a somewhat lesser extent, so this state of affairs pains me.

Originally posted by MFWare View Post
                              You are correct. I transferred my brother's data just as FT-DNA was going into its Build 37 upgrade. The transfer of 23andMe data to FT-DNA is strictly a software issue. The data must be properly formatted which should require less than a second, run through the Population Finder admix model, which takes less than a minute, and then matched against every other autosomal genome in the Family Finder database which can be done overnight.

The fact that FT-DNA needs 6-10 weeks rather than 6-10 hours to complete the transfer indicates that it still has major problems. They could not have come at a worse time. As a 23andMe customer, I can assure you that it does a terrific job. As an AncestryDNA customer, I am not as enthusiastic. However, AncestryDNA's customer base is growing in leaps and bounds. FT-DNA is a pioneer in the field of genealogical DNA in particular and DNA sequencing in general (through its parent company).

Unfortunately, from where I sit, FT-DNA is a pioneering company with poor quality control and an archaic business model. I hope that it gets its act together before it is too late.

Comment

Working...
                              X