Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob question-how to tell if an admix model calculates the smallest genetic distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question-how to tell if an admix model calculates the smallest genetic distance?

MFWare stated in an earlier thread that the best admixture model for a particular dna kit is the one whose oracle calculates the smallest genetic distance for that kit.

How do you tell which admixture model's oracle calculates the smallest genetic distance for a kit?

Originally posted by MerryB View Post
    MFWare stated in an earlier thread that the best admixture model for a particular dna kit is the one whose oracle calculates the smallest genetic distance for that kit.

How do you tell which admixture model's oracle calculates the smallest genetic distance for a kit?
    You cannot know this in advance. You cannot assume that the best model for someone else will also be the best model for you. Run each model followed by its oracle. Select the model whose oracle calculates the smallest genetic distance for your genome.

Comment

What determines smallest genetic distance, pls?

Okay. Thank you. What do you look for, to understand which oracle's display shows the smallest genetic distance? So far, I've run all variations of all admix protocols at gedmatch, and I just don't see-- or understand that I'm seeing-- much difference between the outcomes. There is probably a document somewhere that I should read but haven't found yet?

Comment

Ok, thank you, understanding begins.

Thank you, MFWare. I think I'm beginning to understand.

Comment

Remember that you need to take into account which populations are included in the utility you're using versus what your known ancestry is. Some of the utilities will give you small margins of error, but the results will be meaningless because of the populations involved. For example, I get small margins of error for some Sub-Saharan populations in the utilities designed for African ancestry, but I know from multiple sources that I have very little if any SSA ancestry. On the other hand, I know that I have a small amount of North African ancestry, so I pay attention to those margins of error.

Comment

Question about genetic distance in (oracle) admixture: is the distance, such as 1.47, 9.48, etc. referring to ancestral generations in the population groups?

Comment

Working...
            X