Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a genetic medical condition affect DNA search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a genetic medical condition affect DNA search?

My brother had the Y-DNA done to 111 markers last year under a surname project and had no matches, other than a distant one of a different surname.

My brother has a congenital medical condition with no known cause, could be a mutation (?)

Would this affect the results? We have two first male cousins and we're trying to convince at least one of them to have the testing done to see if the results would be different.

I don't understand the genetics at all, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Do not know BUT I have no such condition and I have only one distant 111 match. Ct

Comment

Nothing unusual about me so far as I know and I don't have a single match even at twelve markers. In fact my only perfect match is a ten marker match to a two thousand year old mummy.

It's good to keep in mind that people of western European descent have been tested far more than those of other ethic groups. This sampling bias probably explains why some of us have either very few or no matches.

Comment

>> My brother had the Y-DNA done to 111 markers last year under a surname project and had no matches, other than a distant one of a different surname.

That's common. More isn't necessarily better ;-) It also depends on what you are after, e.g. where do ancestor come from, finding nth-cousins? Adoptee? Unfortunately there are many people who spend $$ then they don't get any "matches" (whatever that means to them) and they drop out again.

>> My brother has a congenital medical condition with no known cause, could be a mutation Would this affect the results?

No.

It is better to get tested an as much as possible distant cousin (based on papertrail info you have). The difference in the ydna profiles tells which markers are more reliable and which ones not when trying to find "matches" Obviously you prioritise those markers where your brother and distant cousing have the same values.

Also it helps to spell out what you try to achieve ;-)

Comment

My father has zero matches at any level. My grandfather was born in Abruzzo, Italy. I think all it means is that few males from Abruzzo have tested with FTDNA.

Comment

1_mke

How do you find out if you match a mummy?

Comment

MoberlyDrake, I found the match on Ysearch. I match Egyin Gol #70 on all ten tested markers

A58E5 is the ID for Egyin Gol. My Y Search ID is below.

3QAN8 is my other perfect match but I don't think it is a real person as it is marked "DYS464 recLOH"

Most likely my Y-DNA is Eastern European.

Comment

Working...
              X