Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Day Sale

http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.co...ight_3054.html

Is there any advantage to/difference in taking the Family Finder test vs. importing 23andMe raw data? I haven't yet imported my 23andMe data so am wondering whether there are any substantial advantages to paying more for a new test.

Comment

I would suggest that, if you have 23andme data to import, that is by far the most efficient and cost effective means of getting started. If, at a later date, you order another test, say y-str or FMS mitochondria, or an SNP test, Family Tree DNA will send you a kit to collect a sample, because that data can not be extracted from your 23andme data.

If you are planning to import your 23andme, you might want to take advantage of the sale on Family Finder to get a supply of generic kits for other close relatives to use.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Thanks so much!

Comment

The DNA Day Sale has been extended to 11:59PM April 25.

The promised Fathers Day Sale will include Y upgrades.

Comment

I'm re-stocking on generic kits with pre-paid Family Finder.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

I have a dumb question- this sale has me tempted to upgrate my mtHVR1 to Mega, but I'm wondering how will it really help me?
              I'm an adoptee and did Family Finder to try and answer questions about my ancestry. For that purpose, will the upgrade help me? Obviously I'm not as well studied (yet) as many of you and your opinions would be appreciated. Even on sale it's a fair chunk to spend if I don't need to.

Comment

Originally posted by idiganthro View Post
                I have a dumb question- this sale has me tempted to upgrate my mtHVR1 to Mega, but I'm wondering how will it really help me?
                I'm an adoptee and did Family Finder to try and answer questions about my ancestry. For that purpose, will the upgrade help me? Obviously I'm not as well studied (yet) as many of you and your opinions would be appreciated. Even on sale it's a fair chunk to spend if I don't need to.
                If you don't have any matches on HVR1 you're not going to have any matches on FMS/Mega, but you may in the future.

Getting a genealogically significant mtDNA match, on FMS/Mega, is like winning the lottery but you should get a much more refined sense of the geography of origin on your mtDNA through FMS/Mega.

Comment

I am in the same boat. I started out in December with HVR1+HVR2 and Family Finder. It was my mother’s side of the family I was most interested in (Polish…I have since learned this is a sparsely sampled group and not well represented in the database). I have zero matches HVR1+2 and zero matches HVR1. I keep checking and hoping though. Of course I did learn I was mtDNA J1 (and probably J1c)…so that was neat. On Family Finder I have nothing close...a handful of possible fourth cousins and page after page of possible distant cousins. Of those, one contacted me (we are still searching for a common ancestor) and of those I contacted, no one replied. I may try to contact a few more, but based on my first wave of emails I am not optimistic. I was hoping to see a close match, but no. The population finder didn’t even reflect my maternal Polish roots which I have documented back to my 5thGPs, highlighting only Great Britain (my father’s roots…the lack of Polish samples in the database I am told). I did add a Y-12 just for fun when they had the sale a short while back. I figured I would expand it to 67 later…but much to my surprise, zero matches again. I did learn I am Y-I1. After $400 of outlay I decided to not go any further. I was tempted by the full mtDNA but decided against it…if I had money to burn I would…but I don’t. So…I will continue to check back for matches now and then…but I think I’m pretty much done.

Comment

Working...
                  X