ydna 12 to ydna 111 upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ydna 12 to ydna 111 upgrade.

I have been debating upgrading my maternal uncles yDNA 12 kit to 111 whenever the next sale happens and was wondering off hand if anyone knows what the price would be....

Looking in the upgrade section I only see yDNA12 to 67.

His yDNA is out of Norway and surname was only standardized c.1850.
    Not looking for matches so much, as this line is extensively research back to the early 1700's with the collaboration of Distant cousins who still reside on Family Farm in Norway. Looking to gain more info on a deeper understanding of Haplogroup which is currently predicted as R-M198 (R1a1a).

I know Geno 2.0 is the best route, but that depends on my Uncle...
    May just do the 67 marker upgrade and then figure out which SNPs to test from there....

Edit: I had meant to post this in yDNA section, feel free to move it
    Last edited by prairielad; 15 April 2013, 01:12 PM. Reason: a

I can't speak for what the next sale prices will be, but in previous sales the upgrade price has been $148 (12 -> 67) and $109 (67 -> 111).

Comment

Phoned FTDNA ,as I suspected that ydna12 to 111 is not offered. Would need to upgrade to it in 2 step process. Either you order from the get go or do it in 3 steps if 1st step was yDNA12.

Should mention that testing to 111 is more just for my curiosity to see which other surnames(out of Norway) it will show and fact it may aid projects.
      Will have to look at projects pages and determine how many people have tested to this level first and then decide which level will suit my need (curiosity)

Comment

It's also something of an investment in the future. I was one of the "Beta" Y111 customers, and even now I only have four Y111 matches (none closer than GD6). Still, it will hopefully grow over time.

It's an option for your testing budget if you have no pressing relatives to get tested.

Comment

I would recommend getting the upgrade to 67 markers, then joining the R1a1a and Subclades Y-DNA Project. They'll be able to advise you on how best to proceed, either with an 111-marker upgrade or with individual SNP tests.

The Geno2 project is bringing forth results that are constantly changing the R1a1a tree, so you may well be advices to wait a while after the 67-marker test.

Comment

FYI.....I went from 67 to 111 markers. I learned nothing of value from the jump to 111 marker...for one thing almost no one in my group, J1c3d, has done the 111 test. Stick to the 67 marker test. Ct

Comment

The one person in my small J1 cluster who ordered 111 has provided me with the incentive I needed to upgrade. Since we're trying to learn as much as we can about this basal cluster, I hope all six of us will be at 111 eventually so we can determine the most accurate TMRCA.

Comment

good luck Vinnie. I have one 104 marker match and he was off by 5 on the 67 marker. He also did the Family Finder and we showed no FF connection. Qien sabe? Ct

Comment

Originally posted by thormalen View Post
                  good luck Vinnie. I have one 104 marker match and he was off by 5 on the 67 marker. He also did the Family Finder and we showed no FF connection. Qien sabe? Ct
                  Thank you, but I don't expect a "match" in genealogical terms; it's evident that it's been centuries since our lines diverged, but the TMRCA might actually be closer than it appears to be now.

Comment

I fully understand the limitations of 111, and never suggest anyone to upgrade to this level without a little research in their projects and advice from admins.

I too would only be doing the 111 upgrade on Uncles kit more so to aid project and others at this point, maybe in time it will give me an idea how closely other Norwegian names are related to this line in terms of TMRCA.

I am not overly concerned with finding matches, other then the curiousity of possible related surnames which will vary.

I originally did the 111 test on my paternal line knowing I wouldn't have any surname matches, did it more for the L165 project and fact that my direct line had multiple recent mutations(Total of 3 GD within last 2 generations). To date only 1 other in my matching surname cluster has tested and matches 105/111. He also matches as 5th to Remote on one of my paternal kits with common ancestor somewhere pre 1800 Scotland. Also have one at 102/111 with a different Scottish Surname
                    Last edited by prairielad; 17 April 2013, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Prairielad, which part(s) of Norway/Scotland? I don't have any Y-DNA kits--just MtDNA and FF for my mother--but those are her known ancestral areas and especially with Norway I'm curious what might turn up as far as population genetics. Her Norwegian grandmother came from Fyresdal (once-remote part of Telemark) and her Norwegian grandfather perhaps from the same area or perhaps not. Most of her FF matches seem to be Norwegian-ancestry. Anyway, I've been wondering whether her Norwegian and Scandinavian projects will reveal anything interesting.

If I can ever get hold of a male-line descendant of her Norwegian grandfather (there are a few), I want to do Y-DNA and see what I find.

Comment

Originally posted by khuebner View Post
                        Prairielad, which part(s) of Norway/Scotland? I don't have any Y-DNA kits--just MtDNA and FF for my mother--but those are her known ancestral areas and especially with Norway I'm curious what might turn up as far as population genetics. Her Norwegian grandmother came from Fyresdal (once-remote part of Telemark) and her Norwegian grandfather perhaps from the same area or perhaps not. Most of her FF matches seem to be Norwegian-ancestry. Anyway, I've been wondering whether her Norwegian and Scandinavian projects will reveal anything interesting.

If I can ever get hold of a male-line descendant of her Norwegian grandfather (there are a few), I want to do Y-DNA and see what I find.
                        So far I have only really tested my paternal side (father, aunt, uncle and their paternal 1st cousin). Their Grandfather was of Scottish descent, with yDNA out of the Outer Herbicides. Yet to pinpoint exact location as my oldest known paternal ancestor was born c. 1790 Scotland and died 1865 in Canada. My fathers paternal grandmother was Irish, and again I have yet to connect her lines origins in Ireland. Most Irish FF matches come from Cork and Tippery.
                        My Fathers maternal side is a mix of German and Unknown out of Romania.

As for my Norwegian side it is my maternal side. My maternal Grandfather was Half Norwegian/Half Swedish and my maternal grandmother was of 100% English descent.
                        So far on my maternal side I have only begun by testing my Uncles ydna.
                        My mother's paternal Grandfather was born in Inderoy, Sakshaug, Nord-Trondelag, Norway and immigrated to Minnesota c.1879, married a girl from Sweden, then c. 1905 family moved to Canada.
                        Some time this year I plan to start FF tests on this side of the family.

Comment

This is what shows in Admixtures for my paternal side.

Population Finder
                          Father
                          Europe (Western European) Orcadian 90.78% ±2.62%
                          Middle East Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish 9.22% ±2.62%

Aunt
                          Europe (Western European) Orcadian 92.38% ±2.51%
                          Middle East Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish, Mozabite 7.62% ±2.51%

Uncle (paternal one)
                          Europe Finnish, Romanian, Russian 26.87% ±4.10%
                          Europe (Western European) French, Orcadian 73.13% ±4.10%

Following is with Dodecad World 9

My Father
                          Using 2 populations approximation:
                          1 50% Dutch +50% Hungarians @ 1.715
                          2 50% German +50% Hungarians @ 1.742
                          3 50% Mixed_Germanic +50% Hungarians @ 1.777
                          4 50% N_Italian +50% Lithuanians @ 1.896
                          5 50% Lithuanian +50% N_Italian @ 2.032
                          6 50% CEU30 +50% Hungarians @ 2.111
                          7 50% Hungarians +50% Kent @ 2.157
                          8 50% Hungarians +50% Cornwall @ 2.166
                          9 50% French +50% Ukranians @ 2.210
                          10 50% British +50% Hungarians @ 2.358

Using 3 populations approximation:
                          1 50% Irish +25% Irish +25% Bulgarian @ 1.277
                          2 50% Irish +25% Bulgarian +25% Argyll @ 1.290
                          3 50% Irish +25% Bulgarian +25% Orcadian @ 1.301
                          4 50% Orcadian +25% Bulgarian +25% Argyll @ 1.311
                          5 50% Irish +25% O_Italian +25% Lithuanians @ 1.317
                          6 50% Orcadian +25% German +25% Bulgarian @ 1.318
                          7 50% Irish +25% German +25% Bulgarian @ 1.326
                          8 50% Irish +25% German +25% Bulgarians @ 1.328
                          9 50% Argyll +25% Bulgarian +25% Orcadian @ 1.341
                          10 50% Orcadian +25% Irish +25% Bulgarian @ 1.343

Using 4 populations approximation:
                          1 Irish + Irish + Irish + Bulgarian @ 1.277
                          2 Irish + Irish + Bulgarian + Argyll @ 1.290
                          3 Irish + Bulgarian + Orcadian + Argyll @ 1.291
                          4 Irish + Irish + Bulgarian + Orcadian @ 1.301
                          5 Bulgarian + Orcadian + Orcadian + Argyll @ 1.311
                          6 Irish + German + Bulgarian + Orcadian @ 1.312
                          7 Irish + Irish + O_Italian + Lithuanians @ 1.317
                          8 German + Bulgarian + Orcadian + Orcadian @ 1.318
                          9 Irish + Irish + German + Bulgarian @ 1.326
                          10 Irish + Irish + German + Bulgarians @ 1.328
                          11 Irish + O_Italian + Orcadian + Lithuanians @ 1.328
                          12 Irish + Bulgarian + Kent + Argyll @ 1.328
                          13 Bulgarian + Orcadian + Kent + Argyll @ 1.328
                          14 Irish + German + Orcadian + Bulgarians @ 1.332
                          15 German + Orcadian + Argyll + Bulgarians @ 1.337
                          16 O_Italian + Orcadian + Lithuanians + Argyll @ 1.338
                          17 Bulgarian + Orcadian + Argyll + Argyll @ 1.341
                          18 Irish + Bulgarian + Orcadian + Orcadian @ 1.343
                          19 Irish + Irish + Bulgarian + Kent @ 1.345
                          20 Irish + O_Italian + Lithuanians + Argyll @ 1.349

Aunt
                          Using 2 populations approximation:
                          1 50% German +50% Hungarians @ 2.324
                          2 50% Dutch +50% Hungarians @ 2.339
                          3 50% Mixed_Germanic +50% Hungarians @ 2.738
                          4 50% Hungarians +50% Argyll @ 2.763
                          5 50% CEU30 +50% Hungarians @ 2.783
                          6 50% Hungarians +50% Ukranians @ 2.884
                          7 50% French +50% Ukranians @ 2.955
                          8 50% N_Italian +50% Lithuanians @ 2.985
                          9 50% Hungarians +50% Kent @ 2.989
                          10 50% Lithuanian +50% Bulgarians @ 3.000

Using 3 populations approximation:
                          1 50% Argyll +25% Polish +25% Bulgarian @ 1.624
                          2 50% Argyll +25% Bulgarian +25% Argyll @ 1.673
                          3 50% Lithuanians +25% Greek +25% Cornwall @ 1.685
                          4 50% Lithuanians +25% Greek +25% Kent @ 1.700
                          5 50% Lithuanian +25% Greek +25% Kent @ 1.720
                          6 50% Lithuanian +25% Greek +25% Cornwall @ 1.733
                          7 50% Irish +25% Polish +25% Bulgarian @ 1.734
                          8 50% Lithuanians +25% Greek +25% British_Isles @ 1.755
                          9 50% Argyll +25% Polish +25% Bulgarians @ 1.756
                          10 50% Lithuanians +25% S_Italian_Sicilian +25% Orcadian @ 1.760

Using 4 populations approximation:
                          1 Polish + Bulgarian + Argyll + Argyll @ 1.624
                          2 Irish + Polish + Bulgarian + Argyll @ 1.656
                          3 Bulgarian + Argyll + Argyll + Argyll @ 1.673
                          4 Greek + Lithuanians + Lithuanians + Cornwall @ 1.685
                          5 Polish + Bulgarian + Orcadian + Argyll @ 1.688
                          6 Greek + Lithuanian + Lithuanians + Cornwall @ 1.691
                          7 Greek + Lithuanian + Lithuanians + Kent @ 1.693
                          8 Polish + O_Italian + Lithuanians + Argyll @ 1.700
                          9 Greek + Lithuanians + Lithuanians + Kent @ 1.700
                          10 Greek + Lithuanian + Lithuanian + Kent @ 1.720
                          11 Irish + German + Bulgarian + Belorussian @ 1.723
                          12 German + Bulgarian + Belorussian + Argyll @ 1.724
                          13 Greek + Lithuanian + Lithuanian + Cornwall @ 1.733
                          14 Irish + Irish + Polish + Bulgarian @ 1.734
                          15 German + Bulgarian + Orcadian + Belorussian @ 1.742
                          16 Bulgarian + Orcadian + Hungarians + Lithuanians @ 1.745
                          17 Greek + British_Isles + Lithuanians + Lithuanians @ 1.755
                          18 Polish + Argyll + Argyll + Bulgarians @ 1.756
                          19 S_Italian_Sicilian + Orcadian + Lithuanians + Lithuanians @ 1.760
                          20 Irish + Polish + O_Italian + Lithuanians @ 1.761

Uncle
                          Have to wait until Gedmatch back online.....

Comment

Thanks (I have to ask, was Outer Herbicides intentional or spellcheck? either way it amused me). We haven't had many matches who are obviously on the Scottish side (coastal Angus), which is disappointing.

At some point I should sit down with bygdeboks and trace descendants so that I can figure out which matches are definitely with my great-grandmother and which might be her more mysterious second husband. Both my mother's and father's Norwegian ancestors settled in Minnesota--Clay County specifically.

Comment

lol, not intentional or spell check, it was just my brains spell check error which I missed.

Great Grandparents where in Hennepin County, then St. Thomas, ND briefly before coming to Canada.

2 Brothers came over also, one lived in Kittson County, another in Ottertail County. They both stayed in the States.

Comment

Working...
                              X