Help - Donor near end of life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Donor near end of life

Should I get the Geno 2.0 or one of FTDNA's products I will only have one shot and I need to get the right kit. He is male and last in family line. Please someone help.

Sincerely
    AnneC

I may not be the best one to answer your question as I only know about FTDNA and Ancestry products. It would seem to me that the goal would be to get both the man's Y information and his autosomal data. I know you can get the basic Y test from FTDNA for something like $39.00, and then can buy upgrades for the same sample later on. In other words, they don't send out another kit, but simply subject the old sample to additional testing. If they can also do an autosomal upgrade from the original Y test, that would perhaps be the way to go. You should call FTDNA and ask them about that, and if any of their kits can be upgraded to test for autosomal or mt dna, I would order one of their tests. I do not think Ancestry can be quite as flexible right now, as one of their reps told me they do not even use the same lab to run Y and autosomal tests.
    Someone else on the forum will likely give you a better answer.

Comment

Call ftDNA. You can tell them the situation and I think they will send extra vials for future testing. Order a yDNA test to start. Once they have the sample you can decide what additional tests to order. I don't think the Genographic Project will give you the specific detailed information you're seeking.

Comment

It is all quite confusing, the Geno 2.0 kit is done by ftDNA I just want something comparable or do I have to do more than one.

This is what the Genographic Kit determines:

Included in the markers we will test for is a subset that scientists have recently determined to be from our hominin cousins, Neanderthals and the newly discovered Denisovans, who split from our lineage around 500,000 years ago. As modern humans were first migrating out of Africa more than 60,000 years ago, Neanderthals and Denisovans were still alive and well in Eurasia. It seems that our ancestors met, leaving a small genetic trace of these ancient relatives in our DNA. With Geno 2.0, you will learn if you have any Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA in your genome.

Are there any FTDNA kits like it or better?

I will call FTDNA tomorrow hope I don't incur a huge long distance bill in the process.

Thanks
        Anne

Comment

Definitely agree, Call FTDNA may be good idea. However, I thought if you did Geno 2.0 - you could then have it transferred to FTDNA - and this meant the DNA was transferred, and FTDNA could then do all the rest of the tests.

If you haven't already made the decision, I would ask them about that possibility, and which path they suggest you follow.

Best of luck!

Comment

Thank you

I called as suggested and they were great. I will be purchasing one of the kits and will be requested extra swabs. I can upgrade with ftDNA and share information with the Genograohic Project.

Thanks to everyone for you advise!

Anne

Comment

Working...
            X