No announcement yet.

X dna help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I sort the results by total X-chromosome cM, I get 90 other matches before mine (52 if I use my kit as a reference), yet I have 500 more atDNA cM than the next closest match.

My total X-chr in common is 3.8 cM (largest block 3.8 cM) and I have 580 cM total of atDNA in common.

Just to give you an example, one of his highest X matches has 57 total cM of atDNA, yet has 18.3 cM total X-chr in common.

If I use your values on a 1-to-1 x comparison I get 0 cM total.
    Last edited by limbicognito; 4 October 2013, 12:07 AM. Reason: Was using my kit as a reference on one-to-many X comparison, changed it to my cousins

Comment

Just thought I would add that gedmatch defaults to 7cM in the one-to-many search for matches.

Comment

Originally posted by limbicognito View Post
        Just thought I would add that gedmatch defaults to 7cM in the one-to-many search for matches.
        Right which is why you want to use it for the X one to one as well.

otherwise this is the X one to one default:

Minimum threshold size to be included in total = 200 SNPs
        Mismatch-bunching Limit = 100 SNPs
        Noise Reduction Threshold = 0.90
        Minimum segment cM to be included in total = 3.0 cM

Comment

If I use your values on a 1-to-1 x comparison I get 0 cM total.
          Like I said before, unless I misunderstood, when I used one-to-one with the values you mentioned I don't have any match with my cousin at all.

Is there a chance that there is an error in the processing of either x-chr files? Just seems oddly low given the maternal nature of the connection.

EDIT: Did you miss my post #16?
          Last edited by limbicognito; 4 October 2013, 02:25 AM. Reason: Did you read post #16?

Comment

Originally posted by Neves View Post
            I like getting X matches because it is easier to find a common ancestors when you can automatically cross off 60% of them right off the bat. You can also find matches further back in time.

I prefer the chart in the first link which shows the ancestors you inherit x-dna from.

http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com...-x-chromosome/

also...
            http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.co...a-testing.html

check out CeCe Moore's blogs, they are very informative
            that first chart is completely wrong.. as is most of them. and you can't prove it because no one has clue yet what they are looking at. oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by purple flowers View Post
              that first chart is completely wrong.. as is most of them. and you can't prove it because no one has clue yet what they are looking at. oh well.
              The two charts in the first url linked to are right, scientifically valid. What makes you think they're wrong?

It sounds like you've made a common mistake and are confusing the x chromosome(s) and mitochondrial DNA. They're two different types of DNA. The x chromosome(s) are in the nucleus of the cell and mtDNA is floating freely in the cells. They perform two different biological functions.

Comment

Like I said before, unless I misunderstood, when I used one-to-one with the values you mentioned I don't have any match with my cousin at all.

Is there a chance that there is an error in the processing of either x-chr files? Just seems oddly low given the maternal nature of the connection.

EDIT: Did you miss my post #16?
                No I think I just misunderstood part of it.

If you would like to hit my username and send a private message with your gedmatch kit numbers (or post them publicly if you want) I will look and see what is going on with them.

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by purple flowers View Post
                  Why not simply tell the readers here where the charts are wrong in your opinion?

Comment

I need help with this x match "stuff". I understand as a female that I have two x chromosomes? Is that correct? How do I know if I have an X match with on of my matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
                      I need help with this x match "stuff". I understand as a female that I have two x chromosomes? Is that correct? How do I know if I have an X match with on of my matches.
                      FTDNA does not have a X chromosome browser however, they let you download the X raw data file. Once you have the file you can upload it to www.gedmatch.com.

Yes a female has two X chromosomes. This means you can have a match to another person who is related to either your father or mother if you and this person have a common ancestry within an autosomal DNA matching timeframe of say 1 - 6 generations, sometime farther than 6 generations as well, especially on the paternal side of a female.

Matt.

Comment

@limbicognito

You may have a problem with your xDNA of one of your kits at Gedmatch. They do have the following message posted. I would contact them and see if both kits in question have the x loaded correctly. A few months ago one of my kits x failed to load correctly and after contacting them they re-ran it and corrected issue.

Software Bugs: A couple of bugs have been discovered in the GEDmatch software. One problem resulted in X-DNA not being tokenized for some FTDNA kits. Those have now been re-tokenized, but still need to be processed for the one-to-many results. The other problem resulted in some kits not being compared to all other kits. Those will be reprocessed. The current estimate is for that process to be completed about Oct 10. In either case, you do not need to reload your kits.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
                          @limbicognito

You may have a problem with your xDNA of one of your kits at Gedmatch. They do have the following message posted. I would contact them and see if both kits in question have the x loaded correctly. A few months ago one of my kits x failed to load correctly and after contacting them they re-ran it and corrected issue.
                          Hi, thanks for the idea, I noticed the same notification when I logged into gedmatch, but I think they flag those kits that didn't load properly.

I'm guessing mine would have no matches at all or my cousins would but it doesn't seem to be the case, we are just very far down the list in both cases.

A person I know who definitely does have a problem with their x-file had 0 matches, whilst their father had very strong matches with people including my cousin.

Comment

Working...
                          X