Kit Instructions - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit Instructions - Questions

I am going to be visiting my 94-year-old aunt, and hope to help her complete a test kit (no way her arthritic fingers can manage to remove the swab, open the vial, insert and release tip into the vial - hence my presence for the test).

In the FAQs, http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=15#530 it says "rub gently" but in the directions from the Kit Ordering, it says "rub firmly". I want good results, but I do not want her injuring herself - and I know on her arms or legs, she breaks the skin really easily - so which directions should I give her? How much difference does it make for test results?

Not as urgent, but also want to know - when they say wait at least an hour after eating or drinking - does that include water? (ie, if she has some water, do we need to wait at least an hour? )

I would do the rubbing for your aunt. Use one swab on the inside of one cheek and the other on the second cheek, that way you can finish it in one sitting.

Use your aunt as the determination as to how hard to rub; if it hurts, lighten up. You do not want blood, just skin cells (it will not invalidate the test if you get a little blood, but that is not what they are after).

A little cool water should be okay, but not food or hot drinks. Too much water will wash away the flaking skin cells, so do not rinse the inside of her mouth with water.

I believe that the instructions are probably a little too stringent on purpose. If you tell someone the minimum that you can accept, then they will inevitably do less than that.

Good luck, I wish that I had a 94 year old aunt to test, particularly on my paternal side.

Comment

The more rubbing, the more skin cells, it would seem

... and the longer there will be good cells for tests in a single batch.

You might also ask for a second test vial, so you can hold a sample in reserve for tests that come in the future. I believe ftdna will send you a second vial without charge.

My Dad rubbed and rubbed when he made his sample. It seems to have been a very good one! ymmv

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MerryB View Post
        You might also ask for a second test vial, so you can hold a sample in reserve for tests that come in the future. I believe ftdna will send you a second vial without charge.
        All kits come with two swabs & vials. The poster can indeed ask for extras though, especially given the aunt's age.

Elise
        Last edited by efgen; 1 April 2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

When doing my swabs I rubbed firmly and brought blood and made my cheek sore. As your aunt is elderly her skin is likely to be quite thin so don't rub too firmly

Comment

Working...
          X