Haplogroup w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haplogroup w

the roster of names on the haplogroup w match list is very pan ethnic.
    who knows--maybe there are more black Ws than we think.
    there are a fair amount of Ws in Ethiopia, theoretically from a backmigration.
    the national geographic project says that not much is known about the group, or even where exactly it orginated. even its parent haplogroup, N, may have originated in africa.

Comment

I never heard anyone mention haplo W. it must be scarce.

Comment

New member on the street

Just got my results:

W ........ 16223T, 16292T, 16311C, 16519C,

Close to many of you but no exact match.

Irish, Cornish, Scottish, and Welsh.

Always felt I was direct decendent of a Roman Legionaire.

Anyone with the 16311C?

Comment

another o'connor

I'm an o'connor too.
          maybe haplogroup w--which is present in spain and iran--is black irish.
          Originally posted by M.O'Connor
          I never heard anyone mention haplo W. it must be scarce.

Comment

Originally posted by BetteH
            Just got my results:

W ........ 16223T, 16292T, 16311C, 16519C,

Close to many of you but no exact match.

Irish, Cornish, Scottish, and Welsh.

Always felt I was direct decendent of a Roman Legionaire.

Anyone with the 16311C?
            Actually, I don't think it would show in your mtDNA even if you were a direct descendant of a Roman Legionaire. I haven't heard the Romans had females in their Legions.

Comment

And I don't understand why this marker should be linked to the Romans anyway...

Comment

Oddly, mtDNA haplogroup W is described with very different distributions in different sources. Genetree says:

http://www.genetree.com/product/mtDNA-haplotypes.asp
                ---
                Found along the borders of Europe and Asia, haplogroup W’s descendants are seen not only among the inhabitants of the eastern Baltic and the Urals, but in the population of India as well.
                ---

The map in this reference shows the largest percentage of W appearing among the Kurds:

http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/~mcdonald/Wo...groupsMaps.pdf

This paper shows the highest percentage of W (17.4%) among the Sindhi of southeastern Pakistan, with the Kurdish percentage at only 10%.
                lgmayka
                FTDNA Customer
                Last edited by lgmayka; 7 June 2006, 06:04 AM.

Comment

w also in ethiopia

there's also quite a bit of w in ethiopia--though, the theory has it that it was a backmigration via saudi arabia, which also has w.

Comment

New to Forum

I, too, just received my National Geographic results last night and found that I am a W.

I noticed an earlier posting that had the same points of difference that I do:

16292T, 16519C

How rare is that? Is that a common profile? I'm sorry to ask what may be a basic question, but I'm new to all of this.

On my mother's side, my family came from Finland in my grandmother's generation, and was there for as many generations as can be traced. My father's side is primarily from Ireland.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12 June 2006, 08:19 AM.

Comment

New haplogroup W member

Hi,

I received my mtDNA from National Geographic today and found out that I belong to haplogroup W with differences from CRS in 16223T and 16519C. I have Finnish (predominantly Karelian) ancestors but I have been told that somewhere in my maternal grandmothers side there was a romany gypsy (our family also shares common features with this ethnic group) so I have been thinking if that could explain why I belong to haplogroup W since it is common in North-Western India? Then I have also read that W is considered a Uralic stream (which would perhaps be a more probable explanation) but at the same time these sources say that only 5% of Finns and Estonians belong to this group. It's all very puzzling, especially if one is not an expert on genetics. Does anyone have any clarifying information on this? I would also appreciate if I could find a close match to my mtDNA through this list so please email me (in Finnish, Swedish, English or Spanish).
                      Thanks.

Comment

anne marie

I have 16223 16292 16519
                        my mother's family has maternal ancestors from ireland and eastern germany

Comment

Originally posted by Mariquilla
                          I received my mtDNA from National Geographic today and found out that I belong to haplogroup W with differences from CRS in 16223T and 16519C....I would also appreciate if I could find a close match to my mtDNA through this list so please email me (in Finnish, Swedish, English or Spanish).
                          On MitoSearch, your exact HVR1 matches are:

2MGKX, from Edmunton, Canada
                          SR9QX, from Antrea, Finland (this is probably you, isn't it?)
                          W2AZ4, from Ireland (or elsewhere)
                          XGAUT, from North Carolina, USA

This isn't much help, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by anne marie
                            I have 16223 16292 16519
                            my mother's family has maternal ancestors from ireland and eastern germany
                            Are you of haplogroup W? Can you give the letters on your mutations (e.g., C or G or T)?

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka
                              On MitoSearch, your exact HVR1 matches are:

2MGKX, from Edmunton, Canada
                              SR9QX, from Antrea, Finland (this is probably you, isn't it?)
                              W2AZ4, from Ireland (or elsewhere)
                              XGAUT, from North Carolina, USA

This isn't much help, is it?
                              Yes, I am the one from Finland in the list though Antrea is part of Russia nowadays. I haven't looked at the mitosearch stuff closely yet but will do it now. I would have expected more matches in North-Eastern Europe but maybe they will come as more people will add their results to mitosearch database. But then again, we are talking about common ancestry at least 50 generations back which I find a bit hard to bear in mind .

Comment

genetic markers

Originally posted by lgmayka
                                Are you of haplogroup W? Can you give the letters on your mutations (e.g., C or G or T)?
                                My mutations are 16223T, 16292T, 16519C

Comment

Working...
                                X