Clear All

Haplogroup W

I'm another National Geographic participant. Classified as
    Halpogroup W ,16223T,16292T,16519C. My maternal lineage
    is German, Austrian-Hungarian.
    This is a fascinating study!
    Any other matches out there?

Comment

W is still an offshoot of N. And so is X. And A. And I. And B.

I'm A. Maternal grandmother's ancestors came from the Canary Islands. They look Guanche. No American Indian features (or knowledge of an ancestor) at all.

Comment

matches in W

Reading my previous post it looks like I jumped in in mid thought, without explaining a thing ... My daughter from West Bengal, India, is a W; Tineo, oddly enough, she has THREE FTDNA database high-resolution matches, with UK ancestry it seems, and an additional one in the literature, in Poland. We have over 50 low-resolution matches.
        Linda

Comment

Haplogroup W

Hello Tineo,

I am also in Haplogroup Wbased on results of HVR-1 and HVR-2 tests. Have you been tested for Y-DNA? Please e-mail me.

Wil Husted

Comment

test for Y

Hi Wil
            No I haven't been testet for Y, as I can only be testet for mt as I'm a woman.

Tineo

Comment

Oops!

Hello Tineo,

Sorry about that, maybe I didn't read closely or far enough in the forum.

As far as I know, my maternal side of the family is of Scotch-Irish origin but how far back I just don't know. Beyond that, anything's a guess, I guess!

I suspect that I am of Danish heritage via the British Isles and am trying to confirm my suspicion, if possible. My Y-DNA haplogroup is I1b2 that apparently arose in Iberia during the last glacial maximum. I am hoping to find Dane(s) of the same haplogroup. Do you have any living male relatives that might be agreeable to testing?

Wil Husted

Comment

But, I'm a Little Black Girl!

Okay, I just rec'd my results and belong to group "W"...I know that my grandmother's father was English but thought the majority of my DNA would prove to be from the "L" group.

Now, I'm confused to say the least as I am not sure how to read/interpret these results.

Anyone have any ideas how this little black girl could be so European?

Comment

W derived from superhaplogroup N

The results I have from FTDNA state that haplogroup W derives from superhaplogroup N. It states W is mainly in west Eurasia, but no further explaination of the geographic distribution of N. I don't find much information on N anywhere. Anyone able to direct me to an appropriate web-site.

Comment

Little Black Girl

Originally posted by KONSHESGIRL
                    Okay, I just rec'd my results and belong to group "W"...I know that my grandmother's father was English but thought the majority of my DNA would prove to be from the "L" group.

Now, I'm confused to say the least as I am not sure how to read/interpret these results.

Anyone have any ideas how this little black girl could be so European?
                    Your grandmother's father would not have contributed to your mtDNA. It strictly follows the maternal line.

The descriptions I've read of haplogroup W does not lead me to believe that it is exclusively European. It apparently emanated in India and then a branch may have migrated back into Africa. Probably pretty rare, so consider yourself to be very unique.

Comment

Haplogroup W from Sicily,

My husband Tony has a low resolution match but her haplogroup is N does that still mean that their is a common descendant she is from India my husbands mothers line is from Sicily they have common features looks a dark hair and dark eyes like my hubbys mother.

Comment

Haplogroup W from Finland

I am Hplogroup W - 16223T and 16519C - and to the best of my knowledge my family was all from Finland. I'm looking forward to learning more about these results.

Smartimo

Comment

New Haplogroup W member

I am wondering if someone can help me interpret my mutations from the CRS. I recently received my Genographic results and learned that I am part of the illustrious Group W (I can't help but think of Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant and the Group W Bench) and also learned that I have seven differences from the CRS which I understand is the DNA sequencing baseline against which mutations are coded.

My mutations are as follows:

16148T
                          16192T
                          16223T
                          16292T
                          16325C
                          16362C
                          16519C

How should I think of these mutations?

Thanks for any insights anyone can offer!

Comment

Haplogroup W

Originally posted by tony
                            My husband Tony has a low resolution match but her haplogroup is N does that still mean that their is a common descendant she is from India my husbands mothers line is from Sicily they have common features looks a dark hair and dark eyes like my hubbys mother.
                            Hi,
                            I didnt explain my Haplogroup is W from Sicily, I have a low resolution match with someone from India Haplgroup N? Can someone explain why this is how can two different Haplgroups be related to each other and how far back is a low resolution match? Where in the world is Haplogroup W from India or are the Sicilians originally the Moors with their Olive Skin? Can someone please try to figure this out and also how many Sicilians are Haplogroup W and how many live in the Middle East and India?
                            Sincerely,
                            [email protected]

Comment

anne marie

the weird thing about haplogroup w is that it seems so pan-ethnic.
                              though I am considered archetypical "black irish," people have asked me my whole life whether I had native american, jewish, or african descent.

Comment

Little Black Girl

Originally posted by James A. Gates
                                Your grandmother's father would not have contributed to your mtDNA. It strictly follows the maternal line.

The descriptions I've read of haplogroup W does not lead me to believe that it is exclusively European. It apparently emanated in India and then a branch may have migrated back into Africa. Probably pretty rare, so consider yourself to be very unique.

Thank you so much for your response! Me, unique? Yeah, I always knew that!

Comment

Working...
                                X