Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup w

Hi
    I just got my results today that I'm member of the haplogroup W.
    What exactly this indicates, I don't really know.
    But maybe there will be someone helpfull in this forum?

I am danish of danish ancestors and my CRS is:
    16145A, 16223T, 16292T, 16519C

I hope for someone to give me more detailes, or maybe sharing the same numbers.

That you are NOT descended from one of the "Seven Daughters of Eve". MtDNA haplogroup W is a "daughter" of N and a "sister" of R, I, X, & A.

R is the ancestress of H, V, J, T, U, and K.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Does that meens that all the groups you mention don't descent from any of these 7 daughters of Eve?

Who are our ancestor then?

- Tineo

Comment

The "Seven Daughters of Eve" as published by Bryan Sykes of Oxford Ancestors were:

Helena (H)
        Velda (V)
        Ursula (U)
        Katrine (K)
        Jasmine (J)
        Tara (T)
        Xenia (X)

It is estimated that 95% of all Europeans are descended from these, with trace amounts descended from others.

Helena and Velda share a recent common ancestor, called HV (not to be confused with HVR 1 and HVR 2, which stand for Hyper Variable Region).

Jasmine and Tara share a recent common ancestor called JT.

Katrine and Ursula are part of the U supergroup, that is mainly Middle Eastern. Ursula was the earliest "daughter" to enter Europe and probably entered in conjunction with y-DNA haplogroup I some 45,000 years ago. Together, they brought the Aurignacian culture into Europe, partially displacing the Mousterian culture of the Neanderthals.

HV, JT, and the U supergroup are daughters of R. There are several non-European daughters of R, called B and F, which are found in East Asia, Polynesia, and Native America.

So HV, JT, U, B, and F are daughters of R.

Going back further, R is a daughter of N. Actually R and her sisters, W (that's you), I, X, and A are daughters of N. That X is Xenia, one of the "Seven Daughters...", found in both Europe and North America, with traces in southern Siberia. "A" can be found among Native Americans, and in the Siberian peninsula that almost touches Alaska.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Timothy, could you please answer this for me? I'm a mtDNA haplogroup T (126, 294, 296, 304) by HVR-1. What further information might I gain by doing the HVR-2 test?

Comment

Timothy Peterman, thank you for the very detailed answer.

It seems like I am belonging to a very rare and old group.
            Do you by any chance know where W lived, or are we just to few, so noone know anything about our group.
            I try to gather as much information as possible, as well about my numbers.
            Any idea about where I can look for further information?

- Tineo

Comment

Tineo, my guess is that W originated somewhere in Central Asia or South Asia & then diffused acroos the Old World.

With regard to HVR 2 testing, the only value is that it is more high resolution. I am T1 & have scads of matches in the HVR 1 section. We share a common matrilineal ancestress maybe 8,000 years ago or so. T1's distribution pattern looks like a lopsided starburst centered on the SW coast of the Black Sea in Turkey or Bulgaria, so I am guessing that the diaspora could have been caused by the inundation of the ancient Black Sea "lake" in about 5400 BC.

Anyhow, when I look at my HVR 2 results, I have no matches. Why? Because this is higher resolution. In order to match, someone would have to share a common matrilineal ancestress within the last millenium, rather than the last 8,000 years.

So, if you are doing this for genealogy, I suggest you get the HVR 2 results & just watch all of those HVR 1 matches disappear. If you are doing this for anthropological purposes, there probably isn't any reason to get HVR 2 tested.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

I'm a Gerstenberger too

My family is from Gerstenberg, German, a tiny town near the Czech town of Karlsbad that is traditionally Wendish or Sworbian ethnic. My mother's last name is gerstenberg, but gerstenberger is another variation.
                I'm haplogroup W

Comment

haplogroup W is far-flung

For one thing, W is thought to be an older group -- having arisen from N -- if you look at tree diagrams in the literature you can see it has few mutations differing from N (as opposed to differing from CRS) -- and N might have arisen even before the journey from Africa.

I am very excitedly anticipating more information on W -- how its early members found their way anywhere from the UK (in small quantities) to Eastern Europe, all the way to Eastern India ... but apparently NOT recently (my first thought being an ancestor from the Raj, but W is too widely distributed in WESTERN India, to jump to that conclusion!). Could they be the Indo-Europeans, even?

I would think that HVS2 data might come into play more, as the research progresses -- some authors are using it in more regional studies already. Am I just optimistic, or would it be useful for more than genealogy?

Linda

Comment

all alone...

I don't know about other members of the w group, but I don't get any matches at all. Not even in HVR1.
                    Is that normal, or am I just from a totally extinct line.
                    Are any of you alone as well?

-Tineo

Comment

Hi Tineo - we're almost a match

I'm haplogroup W
                      16223T, 16292T, 16295T, 16519C

I was born in the United States but my maternal great grandmother was born in Prague, Czechoslovakia around 1870. I now live in The Netherlands with a Dutch husband.

Susan Kramer

Comment

I am new and a W

Hello,

I have just joined.

I am in the National Geographic project and got my results last night.

I am a Haplogroup W in search of more information.

Your posts are already helping.

I am basically of French and Irish descent with some English and German (both sides)

My mother's mother's mother, etc., as far back as I can go was French and possibly Algonquin (Native American).

Filling in the blanks on this mtDNA should prove a challenge for us all.

Judith Marie

Comment

Susan's numbers

Obviously, I am new to this and do not know how to post a new post.

I have some of the same numbers as Susan and some others.

16129A, 16223T, 16292T, 16311C, 16344T, 16519C

I live in the United Sates in Phoenix, Arizona.

Judith Marie

Comment

Haplogroup W

I have similar variations: 16223T 16292T 16519C
                            My mother's family has an ancestor from gerstenberg, germany, near the czech border.

Comment

another near-match with tineo

tineo, my variations are 16223T, 16292T, 16519C
                              My great-grandfather is from Ireland on one side, and on my maternal side from Gerstenberg, Germany, near the Czech border.
                              One maternal side of my family came to massachssetts in the 1600s, so who knows what's in that mix.

Comment

Working...
                              X