Ireland's DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland's DNA

Does anyone know anything about this website? Is it reliable? I'm looking for more Irish matches. Thanks!

http://www.irelandsdna.com/

I don' think they can tell you anything any other company can't. Their home page blurb about M284 is pure speculation.
    It also seems to be an off shoot of Scotland's DNA where recently osmeone involved with them was heavily criticised for making very over simplified statements on peoples ancestry based on haplogroups.

Comment

Looks redundant to me, as well. However, I don't think this is a bad idea, since those who are really interested in Irish history, but otherwise not involved in testing yet, might decide to test.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Ireland's DNA

I contacted them last year and decided not to pursue it when they told me they wouldn't accept 3rd party transfers.

Comment

Same company as britansdna and scotlandsdna. Some of the principals were part of ethnoancestry. Somewhere along the way they gave up science for folk tales. Stick with ftDNA.
          http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/bl...tors-astrology

Comment

Ireland's DNA

I still may test with them. I'm looking for more Irish matches in particular. I've already tested with 23andme, ancestry.com and FTDNA. My Irish roots are a huge brick wall or me, my direct male line in particular.

Are there any other companies overseas that are worth testing with, particularly for the Y-chromosome and particularly for Ireland?

Comment

Ireland's DNA doesn't do any matching, does it? I thought that company just drills down to give you your terminal SNP.

Comment

Stick with ftdna. I dinnt think I had any Irish I get loafs of Irish matches.more Irish live outside outside than live in it.

Comment

Finding Irish matches and history can be very troublesome. In both Ireland and in Scotland a person is lucky to trace their family's "paper trail" back a few hundred years, and many can not go back even that far. Yet genetics can go to two or three thousand years ago. Going to the FTDNA 25-marker level on the family history map is a good place to begin, as that indicates generally where your genetic ancestors came from, although they might not be "close" ancestors. For instance, on the 25-marker map page I discovered that the vast majority of my genetic ancestors were from Connacht, northern Munster and Ulster. Yet by paper trail my family traces to the north of Ulster. And so somewhere between whatever paper trail you could have and whatever the genetic data indicates you could then begin to narrow your search.

And I wish you the best of luck with that!

Comment

Scottish dna

Interesting post. My 12-25 marker ydna ancestry shows Scotland, England, but then my 37-111 marker shows England, Wales. I know that my terminal snp is Z372+, which is Scandinavian.

Comment

Northern Ireland

I forgot to add that on my maternal side, I have some close V19 matches to people with Northern Ireland ancestry.

Comment

Irelandsdna

My Son has tested with Irelandsdna, but so far seems to be a complete waste of money, I have got the raw data, and loads of positive SNP'S, but the bottom line is the haplogroup turned out to be one in the same I-L126 (FTDNA
                        calls it) I-S165 Irelandsdna calls it, Google says's they are the same, but what to do with this data? One of the administrators of one of the projects (Ireland) took a look at it for me, and for a few days the haplogroup was missing,. so I had high hopes, we may be making progress, but alas NO
                        AFRAID NOT up popped I-L126, can anyone suggest what to do next. ? any suggestions ? Thank you. Julie Dello

Comment

Julie

I presume your son is already in the FTDNA database. If he's not already done so I suggest that he joins the I2a project:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/I2aHapGroup/

Ask the admins if they might have time to have a look at his results.

Comment

Originally posted by KCWelch View Post
                            I still may test with them. I'm looking for more Irish matches in particular. I've already tested with 23andme, ancestry.com and FTDNA. My Irish roots are a huge brick wall or me, my direct male line in particular.

Are there any other companies overseas that are worth testing with, particularly for the Y-chromosome and particularly for Ireland?
                            I'm currently giving this company a go:

http://www.yfull.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dello View Post
                              My Son has tested with Irelandsdna, but so far seems to be a complete waste of money, I have got the raw data, and loads of positive SNP'S, but the bottom line is the haplogroup turned out to be one in the same I-L126 (FTDNA
                              calls it) I-S165 Irelandsdna calls it, Google says's they are the same, but what to do with this data? One of the administrators of one of the projects (Ireland) took a look at it for me, and for a few days the haplogroup was missing,. so I had high hopes, we may be making progress, but alas NO
                              AFRAID NOT up popped I-L126, can anyone suggest what to do next. ? any suggestions ? Thank you. Julie Dello
                              They must have given you a list of SNPs in your results. You could check them with some other L126/S165 men. I found two new SNPs in my results at Irelandsdna by comparing them with other men in the same subgroup. Don't lose heart.They did say that if other SNPs are found in the future they will let their testers know.

Comment

Working...
                              X