Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y37 match with different surnames

Hi All,

This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if anything contained breaks protocol.

I'm the group admin for the OAK group and I have a member who took the Y37 test and matches no one else in our surname group. He says there is another Y37 member with the King surname who matches him with a genetic distance of 2.

Although I've seen documentation that would indicate no probable relation with a 12 marker test, I haven't seen much documentation when the markers are increased to 37 and the match is still close.

Can anyone give me insight on this or point me to some documentation so I can search the possibilities further?

Kindest Regards,

Janis Oakes

Hi Janis
    Has this participant fully researched his family line? Is there a possible adoption or surname change? has anyone else from his lineage been tested?
    I assume no others from his lineage has been tested since he is the only mismatch you talk of.

I ask because I have 2 similar situations in my project 1 adoption, 1 surname change, and we only know about them because the paper trail was researched.

I would think the obvious thing to do is to find others distantly related to this participant and get them tested to see if he matches his cousins. If he does match his distant cousins, then this could be a distinct lineage not related to the rest in the project.

Out of 18 participants in my project, I think at last count, we had 13 or more distinct lineages (a few tests have not been completed as of yet)

Don

Comment

Janis,

Surnames are a good place to start. However I think many DNA participants have found that Illegitimacy, change of name are or were quite frequent. I have no close match with any Harris group, however I have a perfect 37/37 match with a line of Turners. I find bastardy bonds in the right location and time period for a Charles Turner and a Patsy Lay. The only problem is that Charles seems to have disappeared and so far, I have been unable to trace his line. Another question arises, how did my ancestor acquire the name Harris?

So the answer is, Yes your surname could possibly have been King instead of Oak. Dna is messing up a lot of peoples minds

Comment

Janis,
        Unless the two lines came from the same geographic area, I would pay little attention to a 35/37 match involving two different surnames. Keep in mind that markers can mutate TOWARD each other as well as away.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Burns
          Janis,
          Unless the two lines came from the same geographic area, I would pay little attention to a 35/37 match involving two different surnames. Keep in mind that markers can mutate TOWARD each other as well as away.

sometimes it might be useful to find out about the person.i personaly dont worship at the surname tree . maybe because mine deviates so much i found most of my close matches are from germany or people who had in their family a history of forced conversion to christianity from being jewish
          that and some other stuff i have already gives me a picture of what might have happened .it involves 6 countries since 1066. now my ethnic origins shows this to be the case my matches do too . but if i simply said oh they arent dennings forget them. the one problen is in my lifetime i have been denney denehy dennis danning dunning dineen dinan and many more and thats just me my tree is just as bad people with all sorts of variants and i have proof they all are in the tree
          in the late 1800 in chelsea ma the family got together and chose Denning as the name they went with . now how do i go by that surname lol
          personaly i need a dannenberg to test cause i suspect thats what i came from. just ignore it lol at what price?

just look at the surname projects with some variants that dont even look like the others

now that said lets bring up the british and american navys and armys. tousrism hookers and that dreaded word infidelity.
          when i do this sometimes my mind flashes back to rob roy i think that was the movie with liam in it. where the british officer raped the wife and said his kid will be mine. wonder how many times that happened lol

thats why when we get 60,000,000 tested we will see the picture some people are simple some more of a story like me . but isnt that why we do genealogy anyways

Comment

Mutation varies

To Paul, it is interested that you say that mutation can mutate toward
            as well as away. This is a direction I hadn't thought of till now, My own
            matches to another surname is 37 out of 37, so what if any test will resolve
            this quandry, they are a lot of Lawson's that match me and a few of others
            some direct and others 2 or more seperated match groups. My own name
            is Dickerson and my paper trail goes only back to 1700 in Virginia.so the
            name change must have taken before that time. There was a documented
            case of NPE today on Genealogy-DNA Digest with the Smith Name. So
            maybe there will be some documented evidence for me probably back in
            York or Durham England.

Comment

Originally posted by ka0mow
              To Paul, it is interested that you say that mutation can mutate toward
              as well as away. This is a direction I hadn't thought of till now, My own
              matches to another surname is 37 out of 37, so what if any test will resolve
              this quandry, they are a lot of Lawson's that match me and a few of others
              some direct and others 2 or more seperated match groups. My own name
              is Dickerson and my paper trail goes only back to 1700 in Virginia.so the
              name change must have taken before that time. There was a documented
              case of NPE today on Genealogy-DNA Digest with the Smith Name. So
              maybe there will be some documented evidence for me probably back in
              York or Durham England.
              Number can mutate both ways and surnames can be the same only different?
              What do i mean.surnames havent always been there. towns were full of james son of john. Then surnames were adopted. each town didnt document all smiths from smithy were related . they also didnt make sure all sons of john took the same surnames either.So in york or durham some brothers just took different names one was smith,one was dickerson. If you have tons of one name like beattie matching and that name has been in that location for near 1000 yrs. then thats actually the best shot.Surnames are very important in ydna but so can be locations.
              My longford project is showing this 13 different names and 7 Farrells are very close. Most of these peoples ancestry have lived there a long time, probably before surnames.

Comment

Surnames?

I would guess that Surnames started at different times, at different places
                My mothers Orrick line goes back to before 1200 in Western shores of
                Scotland where they were originaly Orrock's taken from a rock of Oar that
                existed where they landed. They are still members of the Orrock name
                living on the dairy farm that exist there today. There are church records there to before 1030 on that family. When is the date of Surname use
                generally in the English area of Eastern part of what is now York, and Durham

Comment

Originally posted by ka0mow
                  I would guess that Surnames started at different times, at different places
                  My mothers Orrick line goes back to before 1200 in Western shores of
                  Scotland where they were originaly Orrock's taken from a rock of Oar that
                  existed where they landed. They are still members of the Orrock name
                  living on the dairy farm that exist there today. There are church records there to before 1030 on that family. When is the date of Surname use
                  generally in the English area of Eastern part of what is now York, and Durham
                  WELL LETS GO TO ROBIN HOOD
                  his name was robin of locksley not robin hood or robin locksley and that should be 12-1300 i would think .i dont remember any last names just adjective and places

Comment

Working...
                  X