Any mtDNA Test Equivalent to Y-SNP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any mtDNA Test Equivalent to Y-SNP?

I understand that Y-SNP test determines the Haplogroup with a very high certainty and refinement, down to the sub-group and, is basically an anthroplogical test (as opposed to a geneaology test like the Y-STR). Is there something similar in mtDNA testing?

I am not interested in geneaological matches for common ancestry etc; rather, only in determining my ethno-geographic roots through refined haplogroup determination. Or is it that mtDNA HVR-1 & HVR-2 are mandatory for a refined matrilineal haplogroup determination?

Essentially, what I am asking is: why pay more for something that is not really required. Just to illustrate my point, a Y-SNP (offered by DNA Heritage) costs $99 as compared to a Y-STR which costs between $138 to $200. So is there a similar cheap and accurate haplogroup determinant mtDNA test?

Kaiser
    Last edited by Kaiser; 20 September 2005, 09:12 AM.

Not to my knowledge, but remember that in order to buy a Y-SNP test you first need to have a Y-STR test, so it is not really that cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser
      I understand that Y-SNP test determines the Haplogroup with a very high certainty and refinement, down to the sub-group and, is basically an anthroplogical test (as opposed to a geneaology test like the Y-STR). Is there something similar in mtDNA testing?

I am not interested in geneaological matches for common ancestry etc; rather, only in determining my ethno-geographic roots through refined haplogroup determination. Or is it that mtDNA HVR-1 & HVR-2 are mandatory for a refined matrilineal haplogroup determination?

Essentially, what I am asking is: why pay more for something that is not really required. Just to illustrate my point, a Y-SNP (offered by DNA Heritage) costs $99 as compared to a Y-STR which costs between $138 to $200. So is there a similar cheap and accurate haplogroup determinant mtDNA test?

Kaiser
      One of the points of the STR (I believe) is to point you in the right direction as to the Most Likely Possiblity of a Haplogroup. If you want to go straight to the SNP and skip the STR, the company doing the DNA would not have a starting point to test for the SNP. They would have to guess which Haplogroup you are and test all of the Haplogroups to determine which one. This could get pricey. The STR directs them as to the most likely possiblity, then they test for that possibility....eliminating the need to randomly test ALL haplogroups until they get the right one.

Comment

Straight Y-SNP test without Y-STR

I too was under the impression that Y-SNP requires a Y-STR test first but DNA Heritage seems to have beaten everyone to it. They are offering a straight Y-SNP test, which I thought works fine with me for $99. Please check out their offer :

http://www.dnaheritage.com/ysnp.asp

Expert comments are welcome.

Kaiser

Comment

More on Y-SNP test without Y-STR

Jason & bobr

Here is a 'DNA Heritage' FAQ:

>>>Do you need my Y-STR results first to decide which haplogroups
          to test?
          <<<No. We test every sample from the root of the Y-Chromosome Tree to the very top without needing Y-STR results as a guide.

Further details on straight Y-SNP testing at:

http://www.dnaheritage.com/faqs.asp#30

Kaiser
          Last edited by Kaiser; 21 September 2005, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser
            Jason & bobr

Here is a 'DNA Heritage' FAQ:

>>>Do you need my Y-STR results first to decide which haplogroups
            to test?
            <<<No. We test every sample from the root of the Y-Chromosome Tree to the very top without needing Y-STR results as a guide.

Further details on straight Y-SNP testing at:

http://www.dnaheritage.com/faqs.asp#30

Kaiser
            Great! Thanks Kaiser.

Comment

Working...
            X