Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup O(M175) in Askenazi???

Hi Folks,
    My husband is an Ashkenazi Jew and we just received his YDNA results. He is in haplogorup O (M175). Is this unusual? From what I've read, this haplogroup is found in Asia. My husband's family is from Lithuania and Latvia. I am aware of the Mongolian influence, but it still seemed odd. Thanks for any help in the right direction.

Maria

Yes O is fairly uncommon in Lithuanian-Latvian Jews. Were results based on STRs or SNPs. O did go as far north as original Turkish homeland near Lake Baikal. There is possibility of migration via Siberia. Another possibility is the conversion of Turkish related Khazars near the Ukraine.

Comment

Haplogroup O (M175) in Ashkenazi?

Hi Josh,
      Thanks for your reply. My husband had both the SNP and STR tested because they needed more information. We waited 5 months to receive this information. I, too, had thought of the Khazars. Pretty interesting.
      Maria

Comment

Do you join Haplogroup O Project ? I think the admin there can give you some useful perspective.

Comment

This is a very old thread. The y dna haplogroup assignment of O-M175 was faulty and was later corrected. No Ashkenazim actually have it.

Comment

Working...
          X