Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.Lock
    replied
    The best advice I can give is to do the paper work on your line. My DNA did show 1 count of Q which is Native American. I have alot of Creek Indian in my line but DNA will not prove it. I do not know many of my cousin's and the few I do know dont care.
    My Grandfather was 1/2 Creek on my dads side and on my moms side my grandfather is also creek. My grandfather on my dads side got his NDN from his mom so I guess thats why it isnt showing? DNA isnt the answer to everything. The paper work is what is the proof and is the best way to prove who you are.

Goodluck,
    A.Lock

Also if you need leave me a post to this with your e-mail and I can help you find your NDN people. I have alot of Cherokee Documents and do NDN research all the time. (NDN = Indian for short )

Leave a comment:

• Jim Denning
    replied
    [QUOTE=dentate]No mtDNA test will tell you anything about your Mom's Dad or your Dad's Mom. mtDNA only traces your female line mother to mother to mother, and only males have Y DNA. YQUOTE]

augh you see this is where genealogy comes in you find you moms brother and or any male/female in the line and you do the same with all of the lines
    and you get them tested thats how you find out about your moms dad and your dads mom. the more the better

Leave a comment:

• dentate
    replied
    I think what you are referring to is HVR-1 and HVR-2, two different regions on the mtDNA molecule that carry mutations of interest. Any information that FTDNA has for you gets posted when they display your results; so unless you ordered something else, you probably will not learn much more than what it says on your "mtDNA Search", "mtDNA matches," and "mtDNA Results" pages.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ok most of what you said I know, but I wanted to know what those segment numbers meant and if I was supposed to get more from the mtDNA plus test or if that was it. Also, before I posted I didn't see my questions anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• dentate
    replied
    No mtDNA test will tell you anything about your Mom's Dad or your Dad's Mom. mtDNA only traces your female line mother to mother to mother, and only males have Y DNA. You could look into a "DNA Print" test offered by anotehr company but unless you have a large proportion of Cherokee ancestry that may also tell you nothing. Best approach is to test as many known cousins as possible, hoping that one of them might have Native American ancestry in an unbrolken line of descent that does not cross sexes. There is a lot about this in the FAQ section and elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic confused

confused

Hi, should i be recieving something else that I haven't gotten in the mail from the mtDNA plus test I already received the certificate that says I'm haplogroup h and then it says 1st segment 16293G, 16519C 2nd segment 73G, 263G, 309.1C, 309.2C, 315.2C and so what does that mean? And I got the email that links to this site that is a reference sequence but I don't know what to do with it I'm no expert on any of this. Am I going to get something else soon that says everything I am and the percentages? I took this test cause I wanted to know more about my Native American heritage which is from my mom's dad and my dad's mom and they've told me both were Cherokee which I find hard to believe that they were both from the same tribe. Well thanks for reading and thanks for the help in advance.
Working...
X