REO vs. Haplogroup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REO vs. Haplogroup

Am I more likely to find a common ancestor or "genetic cousin" in the reo section of the personal website or the haplogroup section? This is based on my uncle's dna who is Eb3. Also, how likely is the difference in finding a "relative" from exact match to one step mutations in the reo section? I'm kinda confused! Thanks.
    Ilyse

The REO section is almost worthless since it is entirely based on STR matches. In my own case, I have exact 12 marker STR matches whom I know from the haplogroup page are not even in my haplogroup. At the one step level, more than half of my matches are not in my haplogroup. This tends to happen when similar STR types occur in related haplogroups and were inherited before the SNP mutation that marks the branch point between these haplogroups occurred. That goes back tens of thousands of years. But one also finds matches with totally unrelated groups; we have one J2 individual who matches people in I and C. That boes back even farther.

The haplogroup page is therefore the one to look at. If you have an exact match with someone who is in your SNP-defined haplogroup, and if that person shares a similar geographic/ethnic background with you, the relationship is much more likely to be real. But remember, all relationships posited on STR matches are a matter of statistical likelihood, not proof.

Comment

Originally posted by dentate

The haplogroup page is therefore the one to look at. If you have an exact match with someone who is in your SNP-defined haplogroup, and if that person shares a similar geographic/ethnic background with you, the relationship is much more likely to be real. But remember, all relationships posited on STR matches are a matter of statistical likelihood, not proof.
      I am one thats hung up on locations which i think eventually maybe sooner if i get my act together we need to follow dna and actual trees for locations and dates. thats what is not being done. in groups where matches are abundent people are so dismissive of matches no one communicates .i mean how can they?i have tried to ask my sons mtdna matches for tree info but there is too many of them 800 hrv1 100 hrv2
      many people just dont answer email.i have this idea i need to get going wouldnt ysearch and mitro be great if they also gave locations and tims by searching attached trees

location is the other key to surnames

and what each of your matches tells you my 25 matches are half converted [forced] jews that means something like spain durring the inqusition
      not imposible for an eb31

Comment

Working...
      X