Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep clade testing results seem very slow…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep clade testing results seem very slow…

Tried posting this yesterday but must have pressed the wrong buttons, so trying again !

On 25 Oct, when all I knew was that I am an I*, I ordered deep clade testing ($220.00). Batch number is 488. Now, nearly four months on, I am still none the wiser. The estimated testing completion date has been put back three or four times and is currently 11 March, obviously with no guarantee that it will be finished even then.

The only visible progress on my Y-DNA Haplotree & SNPs page is that I1d and I2a have been discounted, which I guess means that I might still be I1a, I1b, I1c, I1e or I2b.

Tests for M21, M227, M72, P259 and L211 (or most of them) have been shown as “Test In Progress” for months. I’ve asked FTDNA why the results of these tests aren’t shown yet, and their answer is “..because there are SNPs in that round of testing that are still pending..”.

As a layman, and profoundly ignorant about genetic testing, I find all this very puzzling ! ! ! To their credit, FTDNA answer my queries quickly and politely. But I’m still left feeling that my $220.00 wasn’t very well spent.

My question is : Is this fairly normal for deep clade testing ?

That is just unacceptable. FTDNA is usually much better than that. I suspect you just fell through the cracks.

Anyway Deep Clade testing is now sunset and FTDNA suggests the Geno 2.0. I would demand all my money back for undelivered services. If not satisfied contact the BBB and file a complaint on-line (takes about as much time as reply to this thread).

Comment

Originally posted by 247267 View Post
      As a layman, and profoundly ignorant about genetic testing, I find all this very puzzling ! ! ! To their credit, FTDNA answer my queries quickly and politely. But I’m still left feeling that my $220.00 wasn’t very well spent.

My question is : Is this fairly normal for deep clade testing ?
      Based on my experiences with deep clade testing, yours are unusual, and I'd call the office if you haven't and request a specific reason as to why it's taking so long. Did they have to use your second vial? Did it get caught in the rush of GENO orders? Is something going on with their ability to test those particular SNPs? Once you get all the results back, you'll probably feel better about spending the money.

Comment

I agree with TheTick!

But not for his reasons. FTDNA had been working with Geno for more than year by the time you ordered your Deep Clade. FTDNA had assisted in the selection of Y SNP's and knew it would obsolete DeepClade. They should not have even allowed you to buy Deep Clade but should have referred you to the Geno 2.0.

In addition to all that, FTDNA seems swamped with Geno orders, Geno Y will likely cause changes in the Y tree, and FTDNA is laboring with the transition of Build 37 that will effect Y in addition to the Y tree changes precipitated by Geno.

You were at the wrong place at the wrong time and FTDNA should have looked out for your interests!
        Last edited by tomcat; 20th February 2013, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
          I agree with TheTick!

But not for his reasons. FTDNA had been working with Geno for more than year by the time you ordered your Deep Clade. FTDNA had assisted in the selection of Y SNP's and knew it would obsolete DeepClade. They should not have even allowed you to buy Deep Clade but should have referred you to the Geno 2.0.

In addition to all that, FTDNA seems swamped with Geno orders, Geno Y will likely cause changes in the Y tree, and FTDNA is laboring with the transition of Build 37 that will effect Y in addition to the Y tree changes precipitated by Geno.

You were at the wrong place at the wrong time and FTDNA should have looked out for your interests!
          I am also disappointed. I ordered the deep clade on 09/28/2012 and it was not completed till 01/24/2013. The first time I emailed them they responded within forty-eight hours. The next two times they failed to respond. In the second and third email I asked "Was there a reason the lab did not start testing to see if I was L-21+. I am 90% confident they will end up placing me there on the tree."

BTW my wife bought GENO 2.0 for me for Christmas. They received my kit on 11/21/2013 and posted my results on 02/04/2013.

FTDNA L21+
          GENO 2.0 DF21+

Lesson learned; I should have read the forums before I sent FTDNA my money.

Comment

Thank you thetick, vinnie and tomcat. I feel a lot better about it now, having let off steam in a small way via this forum and hearing your views. Seems to me that FTDNA have a lot on their plate at present, plus I know they've gone astray once or twice on my particular testing. I don't know how far down the tree deep clade testing routinely goes, but when it gets there I'll maybe ask FTDNA if they'll go a bit further to compensate me for the stress of prolonged manic impatience :-)
            Thank you again.

Comment

I ordered the deep clade test on 09/28/2012 and it was not completed till 01/24/2013. The first time I emailed them (11/20) they responded (11/24). The next two times I emailed them (12/11 & 12/13) they failed to respond. In the second and third email I asked them "Was there a reason the lab did not start by testing to see if I was L-21+. I am 90% confident they will end up placing me there on the tree." (I based this on my matches at FTDNA.)

My wife bought GENO 2.0 for me for Christmas. They received my kit on 11/21/2012 an posted my results on 02/04/2013.

FTDNA L21+

GENO 2.0 L21+, DF21+

BTW This is my second post. My first post to this thread went to a mediator and disappeared.

Comment

Thanks you Sealgair, that's interesting.
                Do you happen to know how far FTDNA's deep clade testing goes? If for example I turn out to be an I2b1, will they go on and test for I2b1a and then I2b1a1? Any more after that? (I2b1a1 is the "deepest" one they show on the table at my Y-DNA Haplotree & SNPs page).
                Did you find the Geno 2.0 test worthwhile for results and cost?

Comment

The deep clade test will test all current known SNPs of your current I haplogroup until they find your terminal SNP according to the current version of Y-Chromosome Phylogenetic Tree which FTDNA is using. So if during their testing you come up positive for I-M284 they will then test I2b1a1 snps.

I am not sure which version they are currently using but the following link says it is the 2008 version.
                  http://www.familytreedna.com/deepcla...oup-tests.aspx

I am also unclear if once they upgrade to the more recent version of tree if they will again retest free of charge Deep Clade tester to refine their terminal SNP results.

Comment

Will you be joining "I2*, ISOGG new I2b project" at FTDNA. The administrators will suggest to you what test(s) to take next.

My wife and I have been members of the National Geographic Society for years. I got the GENO 1.0 kit as a Christmas gift in 2005, and GENO 2.0 as a 2012 Christmas gift. I look at my participation in GENO 1 & 2 as a contribution to the project with some interesting benifits. I believe you have other options which might better provide the answers you are looking for. Surf the forums read the posts and investigate the different projects you might join. This is the best advise this rookie can give you.

Good hunting,
                    Sealgair

Comment

Thanks prairielad, I'm now pretty sure how far FTDNA will take my current tests. And I think we can assume that any future tests arising from changes to the tree will be at our expense, not theirs, but you never know :-)

Sealgair... Yes, I'm planning to join the appropriate project(s) when I get the result of my current tests, and I'll then take admin's advice on whatever further tests might be good. Thinking ahead, it looks like I'll have a choice of a la carte tests with FTDNA at $39 each, or switching to Geno 2.0 for $200.

Comment

Working...
                      X