Most Likely Path For Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Likely Path For Match

As I mentioned on another thread my Mom recently got a second cousin match on 23andMe. The person has accepted the sharing request but hasn't provided additional information at this time but I have my fingers crossed.

What I'm trying to figure out is the most likely path for the relationship. Here is what I know.
    • The match is male.
    • The match has a different mtDNA haplotype
    • The match shares no X Chromosome data with my Mom
    • The match and my Mom share 349 cM and 4.65% of their DNA over fourteen segments
    • The match shares 143 cM and 1.91% with me

Clearly the link is not through the direct female line of either. It also seems more likely that the match is through their paternal lines given the lack of X chromosome matching. Does that make sense?

Can anyone deduce anything else from this data?

I'd really appreciate any advice/help.
    Last edited by 1_mke; 18 February 2013, 11:09 AM. Reason: Fix typo

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
    It also seems more likely that the match is through their paternal lines given the lack of X chromosome matching....
    Not necessarily. If your maternal grandmother had a brother who had a son he would be a maternal line cousin to your mother without either an mtDNA or X Chr. match as that son would have received both his mtDNA and X Chr. from his mother.

Comment

Thank you tomcat, I see what you are saying. That is the scenario I was wondering about. It still seems that the odds favor the other side though, right?

Comment

Thank you tomcat, I see what you are saying. That is the scenario I was wondering about. It still seems that the odds favor the other side though, right?
        Not at all. In the absence of any other evidence than you've presented, I think it's as equally as likely the match is on the maternal side as on the paternal side. The mere lack of a shared segment on the x doesn't point to the paternal side.

Comment

As I mentioned on another thread my Mom recently got a second cousin match on 23andMe
          Have you tested at 23andme also? If you , can link your account with your mothers which then will list what side of the family they match. If they match you and not your mothers it comes from your fathers side.
          If you haven't tested there you can transfer her results here ,and assuming you have family finder test , they can be compared that way also.

Comment

As I mentioned on another thread my Mom recently got a second cousin match on 23andMe. The person has accepted the sharing request but hasn't provided additional information at this time but I have my fingers crossed.

What I'm trying to figure out is the most likely path for the relationship. Here is what I know.
            • The match is male.
            • The match has a different mtDNA haplotype
            • The match shares no X Chromosome data with my Mom
            • The match and my Mom share 349 cM and 4.65% of their DNA over fourteen segments
            • The match shares 143 cM and 1.91% with me

Clearly the link is not through the direct female line of either. It also seems more likely that the match is through their paternal lines given the lack of X chromosome matching. Does that make sense?

Can anyone deduce anything else from this data?

I'd really appreciate any advice/help.
            Do you have their name? Google is a great tool. I'd consider searching as it's difficult in this day and age not to have a virtual trail. I've found several connections including my grandmother's 3rd cousin with Google before they emailed me back here or at 23andme.

Comment

I'm on 23andMe and linked as well.

The good news is her apparent second cousin has been very generous in providing information and he certainly has family in the right time and place. I'm working hard right now to build a more extensive family tree than the one he had to see if I can figure out the connection. Given the small distance it should be very doable but I've learned that things are very tricky when you're dealing with an adoption.

Comment

Working...
              X