No announcement yet.

FTDNA problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vinnie I agree the communications to the masses here are poor with FTDNA. If you call them directly yes they are very friendly and helpful. . There is no perfect company. Right now though so many things seem not right with FTDNA.

Believe me, I hope the tide starts to turn. I want to test my brother's yDNA here, as FTDNA has the superior testing for the Y. I want to do the full sequence eventually for the mtDNA as well here. So I want FTDNA to be successful and continue to grow. There just seems to be so many that are frustrated and disappointed now.

Comment

Originally posted by gthirkleby View Post
      Sweden is in Scandinavia, Finland is not.
      Why do they allow Finnish participants in this Y DNA Scandinavian project?
      Until the early 1800s, Finland was part of Sweden.

Comment

Not trying to be disruptive here, but I might point some things out.
        Just going to voice out some thoughts about this situation that some of you may not be considering.

The participant was removed from the project, meaning the Admin or one of the Co Admin's is in fact still running the project. The project obviously can not be abandoned if someone at the Admin level or Co Admin level removed a participant from that project, that means someone is very obviously still running that project.

The participant should be trying to make contact with the Admin or Co Admin asking why he was removed. And I might point it out, the participant himself does not state he was Y DNA tested, but he does mention build 37 which then suggests he is FF tested.

"If" the participant has only been FF tested and joined a Y DNA project, would be the exact reason he was removed from that project, because he has not been Y DNA tested which is a criteria of that project.

I run in to this same thing all the time in my Y DNA projects, I get FF participants joining my Y DNA projects and they do not fit the criteria of my projects so I remove them immediately.
        I have also had a couple 23 & Me transfers who obviously had not been Y DNA tested also joining my Y DNA projects and they too were quickly removed for the obvious reason, they were not Y DNA tested.

This is the case for most Y DNA projects, you MUST be Y DNA tested before you join that project. The participant in this case does not clearly state it for the record here if he has been Y DNA test or not, but he does very clearly mention the 37 build which is for the FF test, and that to me maybe the clue some of you maybe over looking here, that he may have only been FF tested and not Y DNA tested.

Some Y DNA projects will make an exception and allow FF tested participants who have not been Y DNA or mtDNA tested, but not all project Admin's will make that exception.

Comment

I am sure you will be welcome to join the Swedish DNA project.
          http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Sweden/

Comment

I don't want to keep kicking FTDNA when they are having problems, and it DOES appear they are trying to communicate a little better as of late. Still some real work to do, however. As to my removal from the Scandinavian project, I will assume it was an Administrator's screw-up. The email to me announcing my removal did come through the FTDNA email system, for whatever that's worth.
            Since it has been speculated about, my Y designation is I1 (which is sometimes called "ultra norse"), and my earliest paternal ancestor was born in 1644 in Kronobergs lan (county), Sweden. Maybe I was most annoyed by the email because it seemed like my Nordic credentials were being challenged!

Comment

Well we now know a little more to the issue, you have been Y DNA tested lol.
              And now knowing you have been Y DNA tested with a direct paternal ancestry to Sweden, then I can't imagine why you were removed.

It is quite possible the Admin intended to remove a different participant and mistakenly clicked on your membership, that is at all possible to do.

Comment

Originally posted by gthirkleby View Post
                Sweden is in Scandinavia, Finland is not.
                Why do they allow Finnish participants in this Y DNA Scandinavian project?
                A relatively large number of both Swedish and Norwegian people are part-Finnish, genetically. Likewise, some Finnish citizens are Swedish speakers even though they live in Finland (their genetics may be mostly Swedish or perhaps a mix).

Comment

Deep Clade testing seems to be very slow

I ordered deep clade tests on 25 October ($220.00) at which time I was an assumed I1*. Now, nearly four months later, I am still an asumed I1*.

The only visible progress is that I am not an I1d, but the results of tests for the markers of I1a, I1b, I1c and I1e have still not appeared on my Haplogroup & SNPs page despite being shown as "Test In Progress" for many months.

The estimated completion date (which has already been put back three or four times) is currently 11 March, with obviously no guarantee that it won't be extended yet further.

Can anyone tell me if this series of delays is normal, please ?

Comment

Working...
                  X