FTDNA problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTDNA problems

I regret complaining, but I am really starting to wonder what is going on at with our beloved FamilyTreeDNA. It seems there is one problem after another getting the transition to the new DNA Build done. This may be a really difficult thing from a technology standpoint, so they should be cut some slack on that. However, it is frustrating when one target date after another passes with no apparent progress. Worse is the very poor communication with the patrons as to what is going on. It would not be that hard to give an email update at least weekly. While they do not have time to do that, they did have time to send me an email this afternoon informing me that I was being removed from the Scandinavian DNA project because that project was intended for people with "direct paternal lineage to Scandinavia". This came as a bit of a surprise to me considering my direct paternal line is from Sweden, which FTDNA now evidently does not think is part of Scandinavia.
    I really want FTDNA to do well, but it is starting to look like the competition from Ancestry.com in the DNA arena is making the wheels come off. I guess I am just kind a venting, as it was sort of infuriating to get this nonsense email from them, when they are being so poor at informing us about the important stuff.

The DNA project Admin's do not work for FTDNA the Admin's are volenteers who give their time freely to run all those projects, you being removed from a project, any project, was done by the Admin or Co Admin not by FTDNA themselves.

Every DNA project has their own rules and guidelines set in place by the Admin of that project. If the Admin determines you do not fit the criteria of that project, then they are free to remove you from a project.
    You may disagree with that project Admin, but ultimately the project Admin's have the end say so in who belongs in a project and who does not belong.

The project Admin's often have very strict rules in place for a purpose, and anyone who does not fit the criteria of a project is doing nothing more then muddying the water so to speak.

Comment

Me doth think you protesteth too much.

Originally posted by Swennilsson View Post
      I regret complaining, but I am really starting to wonder what is going on at with our beloved FamilyTreeDNA. It seems there is one problem after another getting the transition to the new DNA Build done. This may be a really difficult thing from a technology standpoint, so they should be cut some slack on that. However, it is frustrating when one target date after another passes with no apparent progress. Worse is the very poor communication with the patrons as to what is going on. It would not be that hard to give an email update at least weekly. While they do not have time to do that, they did have time to send me an email this afternoon informing me that I was being removed from the Scandinavian DNA project because that project was intended for people with "direct paternal lineage to Scandinavia". This came as a bit of a surprise to me considering my direct paternal line is from Sweden, which FTDNA now evidently does not think is part of Scandinavia.
      I really want FTDNA to do well, but it is starting to look like the competition from Ancestry.com in the DNA arena is making the wheels come off. I guess I am just kind a venting, as it was sort of infuriating to get this nonsense email from them, when they are being so poor at informing us about the important stuff.

Comment

Swennilsson that is weird. Last I looked Sweden is part of Scandinavia. I just looked at the website for the Ftdna yDNA Scandinavia project and there are plenty of people from Sweden listed.

And if I 'm looking at the correct project it says that their administrator is on vacation. FTDNA customer service is available to handle any questions!! Now the vacation date is way past due. Not really sure why such a message would still display as such.
        Last edited by Táltos; 16 February 2013, 11:21 PM.

Comment

You should contact the admin(s) to make sure that it wasn't a mistake and to verify that you do indeed fit the membership criteria. If in fact you do, and they refuse to allow you back in, then I would call the office Monday a.m.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
            You should contact the admin(s) to make sure that it wasn't a mistake and to verify that you do indeed fit the membership criteria. If in fact you do, and they refuse to allow you back in, then I would call the office Monday a.m.
            I don't think he is protesting too much. I think he is completely justified. I agree with 1796 and others. I would contact the admins and make sure that the email was not a mistake. Sometimes the groups go through periods where they cull certain members and perhaps you were mistakenly deleted. Or perhaps it is spam.

I am just sick of seeing the same message when I log in that has no specific time frame and no signs of ending. They deleted the February 5th date and 100 hours from the message as I guess they realized that had long passed and keeping it vague and time ambiguous works better. I am going to test the rest of my family with 23 and me. No more of this nonsense. I can upload to GEDMATCH and compare our results there. I am tired of waiting for results or changing results, etc.

Comment

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/scandinavianydna/

Comment

I think you are completely justified to get to the root of that email message from the Scandinavia Project. It sounds like the message was a mistake to me.

If I received that same kind of message from the Swedish DNA Project, I would be very unhappy. It would be as if all the Swedish relatives of mine buried in the cemetery here (and those other cemeteries close by) meant very little to far off administrators! Those relatives left a very important message behind -- in my DNA, my mother's and the rest of their descendants DNA. If anything, our DNA leads one on a historical journey of immigration from the mother country.
                Last edited by mixedkid; 17 February 2013, 02:04 AM.

Comment

I was curious and checked. Just a note - the Scandinavian Y-DNA Project - is only a Y-DNA project - tracking the direct paternal line. It is not a general geographical project with Y-DNA and mtDNA (both or either of them) lineages tracking.

So Swennilsson, if you pointed your most distant direct paternal ancestor from somewhere out of Scandinavia it is quite possible to be removed.

There are geographical projects for both direct maternal and direct paternal lines, but obviously this is not a such one.

In addition Rebekah A. Canada, Admin of:
                  H & HV mtDNA Hg Project
                  Q Y-DNA Hg Project,
                  I-P109 Y-DNA Hg Project, S
                  candinavian Y-DNA Project

sent a mail on 23.11.2012 that she is moving on and is 'resigning' from the Admin Role of these projects.

Her mail below:
                  Dear Hs and HVs,

My project news to you today is written with sadness for this will be my last one to you as the administrator of the H & HV mtDNA Project. I am setting aside the project not because I do not love mtDNA research, maternal genealogy, or helping you. To the contrary, it is because if I am going to help as many of the new people coming into the field as possible, I need to extend my focus beyond the few thousand who belong to this project. However, to quote a friend, "I'm going to stay away from the fray." In 2013, you will see less of me in the various forums and lists. That does not mean that I am not reading or that I do not care.

The future of Personal Genetics for Ancestry and Genealogy.
                  At the beginning of the month, I attended the Family Tree DNA Administrators' conference. We are moving into times of more extensive testing and greater automation. That automation will be in both faster (we hope cheaper) lab processes and in results analysis.

The new lab tests such as Geno 2.0 will bring us hundreds of thousands of geographic links to the quickly expanding mtDNA Tree from people who would not otherwise have tested. This is important because many of the newly named mtDNA branches are based on only two or three results. It will also in the more distant future bring us mtDNA full sequence results processed using new high-throughput technology. This will help use toward the many tens of thousands of results needed for a truly sound and robust tree. What do I mean by robust? Well, consider what it would mean for your genealogy if each person were documented with only two or three sources. Would there not be a multitude of mistaken connections? That is the state of our current tree. We are about to leave that behind in favor of a tree based on dozens and then hundreds of samples per branch.

What does improved automation in mtDNA results analysis mean? Once implemented, we can expect more timely updates to the mtDNA tree used by Family Tree DNA as well as automated assignment of haplogroups and subclades. This, as well as some new tools and matching updates hinted at by the Information Technology department, will bring us clean consistent matching and greater understanding of results.

With these changes comes greater personal responsibility as we decide how much we want to know about our own genetics and we explain testing to our cousins. As always, I urge you to keep to the high road and err toward righteousness. Only your own personal results are yours to donate for research outside of genealogy. If you want to do anything else, get the consent in writing and be explicit.

The Family Tree DNA FAQ.
                  This morning, the Family Tree DNA FAQ (http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/) contains 921 public answered questions. The answer to everything you have ever wanted to know about using DNA for Genealogy SHOULD be in there. If it isn't use the feedback form (http://www.familytreedna.com/feedback-form.aspx) and ask! As the FAQ's curator, researcher, and typo-generating author, I assure you that there are absolutely no stupid questions.

The Future of mtDNA Projects.
                  I believe that the time of gigantic major branch project for mtDNA is quickly passing. There are three directions mtDNA Projects must go. First, we need maternal lineage projects based on mtDNA full sequence results. These should be devoted to matches who are exact or one-step mutation away. Working in small groups on specific results will not only make managing the projects doable but also make them truly relevant to personal ancestry. Second, we need geographic projects devoted to local populations. Before the industrial revolution swept the world, our ancestors were not as likely to travel. Projects devoted to a single church Hundred in England or a village in Italy have the potential to reap huge benefits as well as bring home the history and culture of the area. Third, for we in colonial locations like Canada, Australia, and the Untied States of America, we need to look at location (County) projects traced to the time when the best records for maternal ancestors are scarce. In the USA, that is first the time between the 1840 census that listed only heads of households and the 1850 that included all free household members. It is second between the 1860 slave census and the 1870 census when freed slaves began to take their own names. I challenge each of you to take on at least one such project; you can do it.

The Project
                  As many of you know, I have been searching for additional co-administrators for the main H & HV part of the project as well as the mtGenome areas since Laura Hayden had to give up her co-administratorship. I have not had success in many cases. I hope though that FTDNA customer service will be able to quickly fill the needed positions. In the last week, I have updated the project pages. All have been subgrouped. Again, thank you for the time I have had with you.

---
                  Regards,
                  Rebekah A. Canada
                  Volunteer Administrator, Family Tree DNA
                  H & HV mtDNA Hg Project
                  Q Y-DNA Hg Project, I-P109 Y-DNA Hg Project, Scandinavian Y-DNA Project
                  http://www.google.com/profiles/rebekahthorn
                  http://friendfeed.com/rebekahthorn

Comment

He stated his direct paternal line is from Sweden. On the link I provided above they still show the project with the administrator on vacation. Obviously probably not running it anymore. And the FTDNA customer care can be contacted.

So this is possibly just one of the many things that appear to be falling apart at this company.

Comment

Originally posted by 1796 View Post
                      So this is possibly just one of the many things that appear to be falling apart at this company.
                      While there are issues that need to be resolved, I seriously doubt that FTDNA is "falling apart". Administrating projects, especially the larger ones, can be a formidable task. Excuse the schmaltz, but instead of cursing the darkness, why not light a candle and volunteer to help with the Swedish Project?

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                        While there are issues that need to be resolved, I seriously doubt that FTDNA is "falling apart". Administrating projects, especially the larger ones, can be a formidable task. Excuse the schmaltz, but instead of cursing the darkness, why not light a candle and volunteer to help with the Swedish Project?
                        vinnie "schmaltz" excused. But if FTDNA allows themselves to be available on that website to answer questions, then they know there is an issue and maybe should be reaching out to members within the project to see if they want to help. As they would have a vested interest in the area of their ancestry.

Believe me that statement was in no way directed at ANY administrator. They are much appreciated. Furthermore, maybe one day if I get to retire, I would love to be a project administrator!

Comment

As I've posted ad nauseum, communication is THE biggest issue at FTDNA. To their credit, they posted last week an update-apology on the members' homepages about the build 36-37 transfer, but it would have been so much better if they simply sent it out as an e-mail. I don't understand why sending an e-mail is such a problem, or why an employee of the company couldn't post regularly in this forum, pre-empting all the speculation and banter we engage in. 23 is now posting a weekly update in its forum, which has much improved customer relations - I have the sense that I'm being kept "in the loop", and not being completely ignored - although I'm still waiting for a personal response to my AC quandary. Also as I've posted many times, the FTDNA office folks are easily accessible, and for the most part give excellent service, which is definitely a strength over 23.

Comment

The Y-DNA lineage is the paternal line. His ancestor is through his paternal line.

His name is Swen Nilsson (I am assuming that isn't a nickname or creation). He is male. If that isn't Scandanavian than I don't know what is?

Originally posted by Pillar_of_fire View Post
                            I was curious and checked. Just a note - the Scandinavian Y-DNA Project - is only a Y-DNA project - tracking the direct paternal line. It is not a general geographical project with Y-DNA and mtDNA (both or either of them) lineages tracking.

So Swennilsson, if you pointed your most distant direct paternal ancestor from somewhere out of Scandinavia it is quite possible to be removed.

There are geographical projects for both direct maternal and direct paternal lines, but obviously this is not a such one.

In addition Rebekah A. Canada, Admin of:
                            H & HV mtDNA Hg Project
                            Q Y-DNA Hg Project,
                            I-P109 Y-DNA Hg Project, S
                            candinavian Y-DNA Project

sent a mail on 23.11.2012 that she is moving on and is 'resigning' from the Admin Role of these projects.

Her mail below:

Comment

Scandanavia

Sweden is in Scandinavia, Finland is not.
                              Why do they allow Finnish participants in this Y DNA Scandinavian project?

Comment

Working...
                              X