X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geni.com now marketing FTDNA tests

Great news, from an email I got a couple of hours ago:

Dear Javelin,
    We’re thrilled to announce that DNA tests for genealogy are now available on Geni! And for a limited time only, we're offering you a special discount on this cutting-edge technology to enhance your family history research.

With our simple cheek-swab DNA test, you can make discoveries you never knew were possible:

Discover your origins and find new relatives - have you hit a brick wall in your research? DNA can solve lifelong family history puzzles.
    Map your ethnic origins - do you have European, Native American, Jewish or African American ancestry you didn't know about?
    Prove your surname's ancestry - are the males carrying your surname really related to each other?

Geni's partner Family Tree DNA is a global leader in DNA tests specialized for genealogy. Pioneers of genetic genealogy, Family Tree DNA established the world's largest DNA database for genealogy (with more than 400,000 DNA records) and are well known for their work with National Geographic on the Genographic Project. You are in the best hands when you test with Geni and Family Tree DNA.

Read how a DNA test brought together long lost relatives.
    Choose from 13 available DNA tests including paternal line, maternal line, and comprehensive ancestral tests, all at special low prices.
    View Geni DNA tests

We're offering a particularly large discount on the most versatile DNA test, called Family Finder. Based on autosomal DNA, Family Finder can find people related to you through any shared ancestor, within the last 5 generations, not just through the direct paternal or maternal lines.

All DNA tests are used for genealogical purposes only and do not analyze any disease or medical information. Privacy is strictly enforced. The results are analyzed in an advanced genetic genealogy lab in Houston, Texas and are not shared with anyone but you. All DNA tests are a one-time purchase with no subscripion fees, and you will continue to receive new DNA matches for free for many years to come as more people are tested.

If you're eager to enrich your family history or if you're curious to try out some of the most revolutionary technology for genealogy available, be sure to review your options with the new DNA testing service on Geni. If you have questions about these DNA tests, read our detailed DNA FAQ.

View the new DNA tests on Geni
    --
    The Geni Team
    Partly, this is great news because FTDNA's tests are available outside the US, while Ancestry's are not. I also anticipate this will increase orders, especially of Family Finder.

The obvious questions are:

How and when can those of us who already have Geni trees and FTDNA results simply plug a kit number into a Geni profile? And, will we able to plug Family Finder and mtDNA/Y into multiple people, or will it be nearly useless like Ancestry, where you can only attach results to yourself?

The most obvious question to me was how much was the discount. I looked at the website and they are showing a price of $169 for Family Finder. That's the cheapest I've seen it. I think FTDNA had a Facebook sale once where it briefly sold for one day at $179. Hopefully Family Finder gets back up and running soon.

Comment

Interesting, thank you

For those interested in FF+mtFullSequence

If you look at the current sale pricing, you can say you are getting the Family Finder Test for $70 (not including optional subscription fee for record searching)

Family Finder + mtFullSequence on Sale for $359
      mtFullSequence by itself $289 (find rarely that this goes on sale)

$359-$289=$70 for Family Finder

Just wondering if matching will be automatic be the two, or if it will require geni tester to transfer, similar to 23andme testers.
      Last edited by prairielad; 10 February 2013, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
        Just wondering if matching will be automatic be the two, or if it will require geni tester to transfer, similar to 23andme testers.
        Geni is a reseller for FTDNA, so tests purchased through Geni go directly into FTDNA's database. In other words, there's no separate DNA database for Geni.

Elise

Comment

Geni was recently bought by MyHeritage and since MyHeritage are an established reseller for FTDNA, they now included and offering DNA-tests from FTDNA also in Geni.
          The same special prices can be found also at MyHeritage.
          http://www.myheritage.com/dna-tests

Comment

Geni

Javelin,

I have never used geni so after reading your post, I visited the site and ended up signing up for it so I could see the discounted price of the FF test. I then began creating a tree there. I worked for a couple of hours on it, but I kept getting a warning tingling about the site. I did a quick google search this morning and found that there are some very unhappy customers. I'm concerned now that I may not be able to delete the information that I entered and I'm also concerned that my information will not be kept private. I've read comments that your email address is not protected from spammers and if you call to complain, the company will take over your account and give it to someone else. I'm assuming that you have had a positive experience at geni. Can you comment on these negative reviews?

Thanks,

Emy

Comment

Originally posted by emyr View Post
              I visited the site and ended up signing up for it (...). I then began creating a tree there. I worked for a couple of hours on it
              You did exactly what geni want:
              1) You gave them your money
              2) You gave them your time and genealogy, which they can use to recruit more customers.

I think they have a very good business plan I am just very unsure that its helps anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Lklundin View Post
                2) You gave them your time and genealogy, which they can use to recruit more customers.

I think they have a very good business plan I am just very unsure that its helps anybody else.
                Well, I deleted everything that I could from my tree. Unfortunately, I had completed one merge, so I couldn't delete a few people. However, I did disconnect my tree from that group. I changed all of my settings (there are multiple places that you need to do this) to private. I've changed my name to Jane Doe and I'm currently trying to find out how to cancel my "free" trial. I have sent a help ticket to them. If I don't hear something in a day, I will then contact the BBB. Their phone number is not available but I will find it if I need to. Once I know that my free trial is cancelled, I will close my account. I'm very sorry I ever signed up for this site. I'm sure it works well for some, but not for me. Too many issues.

Comment

Originally posted by niklin View Post
                  Geni was recently bought by MyHeritage and since MyHeritage are an established reseller for FTDNA, they now included and offering DNA-tests from FTDNA also in Geni.
                  The same special prices can be found also at MyHeritage.
                  http://www.myheritage.com/dna-tests
                  Well, I set up a fake account and was most impressed by the price, just £107 and only £3.80 postage to Burkina Faso. That must be the best FF deal in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Lklundin View Post

Umm...how is this different from any of the other for-profit companies?

Comment

I had a brief experience with them, and not good one.

I know a person that has been cut off and denied access on the grounds that he used Cyrillic for the names. The company insisted he use only Latin. When he continued to use Cyrillic he was cut off. Such an absurd excuse to cut-off access. (When a Cyrillic name is transcribed in Latin - a lot is lost and this is not the first choice. The transcription could be a secondary tool to help non-Cyrillic user).

That person was doing genealogical research on famous families and he had more than 5000 names in the trees he created. And now he is denied access and someone is in charge (admin) the trees he created and that person does not understand Cyrillic.

I know all this, because when I did my research I found that there is in the tree he created there is no information about the children of a couple - and this couple is my maternal mother's parents. I contacted both on the topic. The new admin was completely lost in his sudden responsibility of these Cyrillic trees.

Comment

http://www.geni.com/people/Arthwyr-a...00007329382612

Comment

I would just advise that everyone research the geni.com site before joining and creating a family tree there. Make sure that you understand the purpose of the site, which I think is to collaborate with others in building a world tree. The specific issues that I found with it are:

1. You can't delete people in your tree once you have merged with someone else, unless that person gives you permission. You can end up with multiple managers to your own tree.
                          2. You can set your tree so that it is not available to public searches, but I think everyone else who collaborates on your tree needs to do the same. Otherwise your information can end up in a google search. The privacy settings are not easy to understand to me and possibly to others.
                          3. If you "abandon" your tree or if you do something that the admins don't approve of, you can lose ownership of your tree. They will assign another manager and you lose control.
                          4. There is no telephone support.
                          5. I'm having trouble canceling the free trial. I've selected the option to cancel multiple times this morning, but every time I log back in it shows me with me a trial premium account. Be aware that the default payment option on the free trial is a 2 year subscription. The site advertises 7.95 per month, but when you select it, the amount that will be charged to your card is $190. Similar problems that I've experienced with ancestry in the past, and I should have learned my lesson by now. I really wanted to preview the site to see if it was worth paying for. For me, it isn't.
                          6. They deleted the forum that was associated with the site. According to some, this was due to too many complaints being posted on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by emyr View Post
                            I'm assuming that you have had a positive experience at geni. Can you comment on these negative reviews?

Thanks,

Emy
                            Hello Emy,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. I've never actually used the paid subscription option at Geni, only the free version to collaborate with a couple of distant cousins who use Geni rather than Ancestry, Genesreunited, or any of the other, similar sites.

I have a tree wherever I can just to maximize the number of connections, which so far has worked well, though I am usually very much farther ahead than most of my contacts. Also, I usually cannot justify subscribing to any one of these sites, since the records of interest for me are simply not digitized/available, or they are available free elsewhere, so I have already consulted them.

Comment

Javelin,

Thanks for your reply! I should have just used the free version, but stupid me had to try the trial version. The merge function may not be available in the free version, and it seems that function may be one of the biggest problems.

I have to say I'm a little frustrated with FTDNA about this special offer. I know that it benefits all of us when FTDNA is able to increase the size of the database. It would also be nice to be able to connect our dna results within a genealogy website. However, the more I research myheritage and geni.com, the more concerned I become about these partnerships. I cannot locate a phone number for either myheritage or for geni. I remember in the early days of ancestry how frustrated I would become in searching for a phone number. Ancestry seems to have cleaned their customer service mess up quite a bit, and I'm now a subscriber. I'm worried though that some of the negativity associated with myheritage and geni may rub off on FTDNA. I'm not sure that the company can handle any more negativity at this moment.

I encouraged several of my distant cousins to test during the holiday sale. I have one who is a twin. She and her twin decided to both test, one at 23and me and one at FTDNA. Guess who had their results weeks ago? The twin who tested with 23andme. The other twin is waiting patiently for her results, but I feel really bad for encouraging her to test with FTDNA. If 23andme and Ancestry both offer tests at significanly reduced prices and they process their results much quicker, why would anyone choose FTDNA? I myself have seen test results from all three, and I much prefer the interface at FTDNA. A new person, though, won't have the benefit of using the interface first before choosing a company to test with. I for one would definitely have gone with one of the other companies.

Now I find out that FTDNA is offering discounted rates to people who are members of myheritage and geni, but they are not offering the same rates to their longtime customers. I have to sign up for a site that causes me a lot of problems if I want to take advantage of this reduced rate. I'm guessing that myheritage and geni are probably covering some of the discount themselves, but this still stinks.

I apologize if this is over the top. I've tried to be very patient with the backlog issues at FTDNA, and I've tried to stay positive and promote FTDNA to my genealogy friends. I'm just not sure how much longer I can do this.

Emy

Comment

Working...
                              X