Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup J* and Jewish ancestry

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and am interested in finding any Jewish ancestry. My test results show I am Haplogroup J* with the following mutations: 16069T, 16126C and 16368C.

I notice that there have been other discussions regarding the Haplogroup J and Cohanim tests. Can anyone enlighten me any further regarding my ancestral roots?

By the way, I did the mito search and the exact genetic matches did not appear to have Jewish surnames. Is this significant?

Regards and thanks

Hello,

You seem to be confusing mtDNA haplogroups with YDNA haplogroups.
    The mutations that you write about correspond to mtDNA while the Cohanim modal haplotypes are only found in certain YDNA haplogroup.

Also, haplogroups do not necessarily correspond to a particular ethnicity. If you have reasonable evidence that suggests a possible ancestry plus one of the haplogroups that are found among that ethnicity only then you can start thinking about that possibility.

Regards!

Originally posted by Malka
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum and am interested in finding any Jewish ancestry. My test results show I am Haplogroup J* with the following mutations: 16069T, 16126C and 16368C.

I notice that there have been other discussions regarding the Haplogroup J and Cohanim tests. Can anyone enlighten me any further regarding my ancestral roots?

By the way, I did the mito search and the exact genetic matches did not appear to have Jewish surnames. Is this significant?

Regards and thanks

Comment

If one has a Jewish background, Mtdna haplogroup J is fairly common among Jewish females. However as noted, no haplogroup is unique to any ethnic group. There were two main routes for this female line. One route relevant to Ashkenazim went north from the Black Sea to Eastern Europe. The other route went to the Mediterranian, then along the Atlantic coast eventially to the British Isles. This second route is represented among Sephardic Jews. The current thinking is that the representation among Jews is a result of the genetic inflow from the surrounding non-Jewish environment.

If one does not have a Jewish background the same routes apply. However the results are not surprising since about 10% of all European females are in haplogroup J.
      Last edited by josh w.; 6 September 2005, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X