Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

23 and Me spit vials (with the intent on transferring to FTDNA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23 and Me spit vials (with the intent on transferring to FTDNA)

I have a question about the 23 and me spit vials. I received this as a gift. I had my mother do the test. I was very surprised that she agreed to do it for me. The only problem she had difficulty spitting!

I had followed all their instructions and tips, but to no avail. She was only able to get enough just above the first line, but no where near the fill line. Bless her she had tried for almost a half hour. So I closed the funnel and their preservative solution then took it just above the fill line. Then I dropped it in the mail..... with my fingers crossed.

I decided to send it in the hope that somehow that preservative captured enough of her DNA. I am wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience. And if so, was it enough DNA to read for the test?

I sure wish I had that cheek scraper!!

ancestry also has spit . We failed a few tests. I was reading the 23andme web and you can request a swab. Call them. They state on their web some people dont have enough DNA in their spit in general and also children who test might also have problems with the spit test.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
      ancestry also has spit . We failed a few tests. I was reading the 23andme web and you can request a swab. Call them. They state on their web some people dont have enough DNA in their spit in general and also children who test might also have problems with the spit test.
      Thanks Yaffa, that is good to know. If it fails, I will ask for the swab. I'm just hoping that somehow it miraculously passes! I've only ever tested here so I'm nervous about the spit.

Comment

Your Welcome. I dont like the spit test. Someone in here posted they got a brand new toothbrush, scraped their cheek with it, sucked out the cheek cells from the toothbrush and incorporated it with their spit, sent it to ancestry and it passed the test. I guess you could try this method too :

Comment

My grandfather had problems producing enough saliva for 23andme and they provided what they call an assisted collection kit which uses a sponge to collect saliva. It worked well but you have to ring them to organise this type of kit.

Comment

I had 2 tests come back from 23andme with insuffcient DNA. This was my
            93 year old fathers brother. After the 1st failure they send another kit, after the 2nd they refund your money. This may be due to other medications they take, failure to not eat or drink 1 hour before trying the test or other causes. On the other hand my 95 year old mother tested just fine.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your answers. But I just have a few more questions and need some advice.

Brunetmj, yes I suspect that some of the medications that my mom is on is the culprit for this. If you don't mind my asking, do you remember if your mother was able to fill all the way to the spit line or was it just a minimal amount?

Yaffa & Sirius I tried to call them today, but had to leave a message due to a high number of call, etc., etc. It also tells you to send an e-mail with any questions, but I rather talk to someone. Anyway I did see the swabs for children on their website and it looks like they are on back order.

So what I am wondering now is if they can run the test with yet a second sample, but if that one fails too, they refund you. So I would imagine that you can then reorder for someone else correct? This someone else would be my Aunt, my Mom's sister.

So would it be better if this first one fails (which I'm sure it will), let my Mom try again? And use that awesome McGyver toothbrush method!? Or just switch the name to my Aunt and have her do the test? I really wanted to have my Mom test to try and verify which side my matches are coming from. I have a good idea, but some of my more unique ones I wanted more clarification. I will be able to do this by uploading to Gedmatch, and then transferring over to FTDNA in the future. All my matches here are not on Gedmatch.

I also wanted to be able to compare the chromosome painting that I have from Dr. McDonald, especially in regard to the X. I have a chunk of East Asian connected to Middle Eastern. I have been thinking it was from my father, but I will never be able to find that out as he is deceased. So this would also be a good way to compare. At least my mother and her sister should have the same exact X from their father. But I am really hoping that this test will work for my mother.

Comment

I just wanted to update everyone. My Mom's results posted tonight! Yay I can't believe it!! The health and mtDNA are in, and the RF and AC indicate that are being run through the computer for matching.

So I wanted to let everyone know that if you have a minimal amount spit, there could still be hope.

The wait time for these results was not much longer than my FF here. However they were much shorter than waiting for my mtDNA plus here, and 23 is giving you more information. However I can tell from the forum over there they are waiting longer than usual for results. This is obviously due to their decrease in price.

Comment

Originally posted by 1796 View Post
                  I just wanted to update everyone. My Mom's results posted tonight! Yay I can't believe it!! The health and mtDNA are in, and the RF and AC indicate that are being run through the computer for matching.

So I wanted to let everyone know that if you have a minimal amount spit, there could still be hope.

The wait time for these results was not much longer than my FF here. However they were much shorter than waiting for my mtDNA plus here, and 23 is giving you more information. However I can tell from the forum over there they are waiting longer than usual for results. This is obviously due to their decrease in price.
                  Thanks, good to know.
                  I tried to order the cheek swabs but they said they were all out of them. My 78 year old father suffers from dry mouth and it took the poor guy almost an hour to get close to the fill line but still not up to it.

Comment

Your welcome Neves! Good luck with your father's test. It sounds like he was able to get more saliva in the tube than my Mom. Believe me that preservation fluid just barely took the sample over the fill line. Please let us know how you guys make out.

Comment

I bought two 23andMe tests - one for me and one for my uncle. I was afraid whether we will be able to produce enough saliva. The solution - we sat comfortably in the armchairs discussing the topic of genealogy, I was sharing my experience with FTDNA, what could be expected and we started. We did long pauses between each spit around five or so minutes, we asked our aunt to bring a glass of orange fresh (knowing that we can not drink it - just to tempt us to produce more) - and it took us around an hour or more. My uncle takes a lot of medicines as he has high blood pressure and a has heart problems.
                      I can guess how strange picture we were - each holding the tube, spitting, discussing, spitting and discussing Y, mt DNA and FF...

Comment

My 88 year old aunt had the same problem.

The trick was to put a tiny amount of white table sugar on her tongue as
                        recommended by the 23andme instructions.
                        This generated the desired result from my Aunt Goober.

Comment

Originally posted by Pillar_of_fire View Post
                          I bought two 23andMe tests - one for me and one for my uncle. I was afraid whether we will be able to produce enough saliva. The solution - we sat comfortably in the armchairs discussing the topic of genealogy, I was sharing my experience with FTDNA, what could be expected and we started. We did long pauses between each spit around five or so minutes, we asked our aunt to bring a glass of orange fresh (knowing that we can not drink it - just to tempt us to produce more) - and it took us around an hour or more. My uncle takes a lot of medicines as he has high blood pressure and a has heart problems.
                          I can guess how strange picture we were - each holding the tube, spitting, discussing, spitting and discussing Y, mt DNA and FF...
                          Pillar_of_fire I had to smile when I read this. I had thought how odd my mother and I looked with that silly spit tube.

Good luck with your results. I received my mother's health report and haplogroup Monday. Her Ancestry Composition arrived yesterday afternoon. Now I am just waiting for her matches to show up. I am very excited for that. They left a message on my account that this could take up to a week to match to the rest of the database.

The health report was correct for her top health concern, as this is something that she already had. Some of the things that she is at decreased risk for she actually has. I think this has more to do with her being a smoker, and not genetics.

I really like their Ancestry Composition. Though I understand it has problems for people who were used as the reference. I don't care for the conservative mode as my Mom has a whopping 6.0% Unassigned. Taking it up to the Speculative view everything is accounted for, except still some %'s of Nonspecific Southern European, and Nonspecific European. In the conservative mode those percentages are ridiculously high.

She has nice percentages of Italian showing up. I was thrilled to see her getting results for the Balkans. Surprisingly she even has a small amount of Eastern Europe! In the speculative mode too her German ancestry finally shows though not a double digit amount. They actually list it as French and German. There is also another surprise for her to have small amount of British and Irish show up. I have been wondering if that was in my direct maternal line.

Anyway it is really refreshing not to see everyone listed as Orcadian.
                          Last edited by Táltos; 13 February 2013, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Ok, I just have to say I am so excited to be getting my mom's matches in over at 23. The process started a little over 2 hours ago, and at first I thought she only had 2 matches. Until I realized hit the update on mom's profile. She is now over 500 matches!!! I had to take a break!

First I want to say I am so sorry how everyone is still waiting here for matches. I hope FTDNA comes through soon. I have to be honest I am not sure what transferring her data to here will do now? Can they compete with all of these matches? I think I only had 64 matches in my original FF here. I see an Italian match over there that I have here, and a few colonial matches too.

My mom's matches over there of course show strong Colonial ties, also with quite a few reporting Native American Ancestry, and several with NA mtDNA, maybe even one with NA yDNA, but I have to research it better as I don't know a lot about it. I also noticed several matches with African mtDNA.

Anyway she has more Italian matches than me here. And she has even more matches with Greeks, quite a few from Macedonia. Several matches from Turkey, and one of them indicates some Albanian ancestry!! She also has Bosnia and Herzegovina matches. And a few Romanians, even someone with Bulgarian ancestry living in the States.

I also had found out that you can download your raw data from them before you get your matches, and upload to Gedmatch. If your health report is in first. How cool is that!!

Now granted I realize the poor track record about people responding to genealogy there. And believe me I also see quite a few matches that show no effort put into it and look like they don't want to be contacted. However from this large database, I can see the unique mosaic of my mother's ancestry.
                            Last edited by Táltos; 18 February 2013, 01:35 AM.

Comment

image.jpg Final total matches for my mom is 538! I attached her AF. Love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X