Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how far back Y-DNA

hi,

how far back can the 67-marker Y-DNA go in years approximately? If am connected to a tribe thousand years, will it detect it...

Also, I just sent my test, how long do you think the results will take?

Thanks all..

The 67 STR test is better for genealogy than deep ancestry as Short Tandem Repeats are variable markers. In most instances, however, your 67 STR's will reliably serve to establish your haplogroup and clade, or your branch and stem on the Y tree, and all such branchings are assigned a date of divergence that may be many thousands of years old. The current geographic distribution of your clade is regarded as a reliable guide to ancient concentration of your clade.

The matter of ancient tribal membership obviously depends on whether results matching yours have been obtained from ancient human remains and whether such remains have been assigned a tribal identity.

If deep ancestry is your interest, you may wish to join an appropriate FTDNA Project, invest in SNP testing via the Deep Clade, Geno 2.0 or Walk the Y. A Project administrator would be your best guide as to further testing appropriate to your clade. The good news is that questions of ancient tribal identity are a subject of intense interest to a number of citizen scientists.

Comment

Thanks, that was very informative. Do you how i can invest in SNP testing via the Deep Clade, Geno 2.0*?

Comment

Originally posted by aizaram View Post
        Thanks, that was very informative. Do you how i can invest in SNP testing via the Deep Clade, Geno 2.0*?
        The Deep Clade is woefully obsolete. FTDNA CEO wrote to some of us administrators:
        ---
        I would like to remove the FTDNA Deep Clade test and only offer Geno 2.0 as an alternative + single marker testing. I plan to address this after Nat geo releases a phylogeny in january.
        ---

You can order Geno 2.0 right now from National Geographic (even though the test is actually performed by FTDNA). Or you could wait to see whether FTDNA offers it to existing customers for a slightly lower price. Or you could wait for your Y-DNA67 results, and hear what a project administrator recommends.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
          ...after Nat geo releases a phylogeny in january.
          That's the first indication I've seen of an actual "date" for a new phylogeny.

I hope it's met.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
            ... FTDNA CEO wrote to some of us administrators:
            ---
            I would like to remove the FTDNA Deep Clade test and only offer Geno 2.0 as an alternative + single marker testing. I plan to address this after Nat geo releases a phylogeny in january.
            I would welcome Y-on-a-chip. But there is some chatter that not all the Y primers are working reliably on the GenoChip. If that is the case FTDNA and Geno need a Plan B.

This is neither a gripe nor a scoff. Just a caution.
            Last edited by tomcat; 29 December 2012, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X