23&Me Comparative Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
    I'm contemplating adding 23&Me to my tests and would appreciate any thoughts.

I have done FTDNA Y-67, Deep Clade, and FF; Geno 2.0; and Ancestry autosomal. I've transferred my Y data to Ancestry and my autosomal data to Gedmatch. To date, my results have provided further evidence of my paternal ancestors' place of origin, confirmed the name of my paternal ggm and 2xggm and identified a few 3-4 cousins. However, the percentage of confirmed autosomal matches is very low--fewer than 10 out of nearly 2400 on Ancestry and 200 on FTDNA.

With the new price for 23&Me, I'm wondering what it would add to my body of knowledge. I am only mildly interested in the medical information, but intrigued by their goal of expanding their data base. My principal goal would be to find matches related to my family's Anglo-Norman Irish, Scots-Irish and German ancestry. (All branches of my family originate with 19th century immigrants from Europe.) So I would be particularly interested if, now or in the future, 23&Me could include participants from those populations.

Any comments welcome. If you have tested with 23&Me, how did it add to your information? If not, why have you chosen not to purchase the product?

Jim
    I only recently sent in my completed kit to 23 and Me, so can't really judge any results yet. However, I can tell you that I was impressed my the company's mention in the book, DNA USA and I have heard the company mentioned numerous times on television documentaries. Since we had a medical scare in the family and saw a genetics counselor and have taken one separate test for a mutated gene, I wanted to know more. So when I saw the new $99 price, I jumped at it. And yes, even with the medical aspects of all of that, I am looking for more evidence of my ethnic background -- I already know of two mutations, common to two ethinic groups I belong to, that I know one of my parents carries. I know I carry one of those mutations; now I want to know if I carry the other.

Associated with all of that, I have heard about 23 and Me's more detailed ancestry make-up, so I am curious to see if any of my known background comes up, as it did with Ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
      I've transferred my Y data to Ancestry
      Jim
      Jim,
      Would you care to explain how you transferred your Y data to Ancestry? I'm unable to find anything on that. Thanks!

EDIT: Wouldn't you know, as soon as I asked, I was able to find it. For anyone else a dumb as me: link removed
      Last edited by Darren; 25 December 2012, 09:35 PM. Reason: Please no links to outside company websites

Comment

Jim, your story is similar to my own. I would skip FMS and go for 23&me next. Then consider parents, aunts & uncles being tested as available, at FTDNA and or 23&me. Note however that until more native Irish, Brits & Germans test, you're mostly playing around with COLONIAL matches in the US & Canada ... Which is not what would be most useful. Virtually ALL of my genealogy research frontiers are now back overseas in the 1500s, 1600s & 1700s. I sure hope the $99 cost is being heavily advertised overseas!

Comment

Originally posted by RCrumpton View Post
          Jim,
          Would you care to explain how you transferred your Y data to Ancestry? I'm unable to find anything on that. Thanks!

EDIT: Wouldn't you know, as soon as I asked, I was able to find it. For anyone else a dumb as me: http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/ans...ts-on-ancestry
          Right-you have to enter it manually, here:
          link removed

but it does give you access to another population. Ancestry tests 46 markers, of which 43 are common to FTDNA. As it happens, I found a 42/43 match with a person of the same surname whose family originated about 10 miles from mine in Ireland. Our mismatch is on a rapidly mutating marker, so our common ancestor was probably about 200-300 years before my birth, a time when my family was dispersing throughout Cork and Kerry, having been outlawed for participating in the 1641 rebellion.

Jim
          Last edited by Darren; 25 December 2012, 09:35 PM. Reason: Please no links to outside company websites.

Comment

Working...
          X