23&Me Comparative Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23&Me Comparative Value

I'm contemplating adding 23&Me to my tests and would appreciate any thoughts.

I have done FTDNA Y-67, Deep Clade, and FF; Geno 2.0; and Ancestry autosomal. I've transferred my Y data to Ancestry and my autosomal data to Gedmatch. To date, my results have provided further evidence of my paternal ancestors' place of origin, confirmed the name of my paternal ggm and 2xggm and identified a few 3-4 cousins. However, the percentage of confirmed autosomal matches is very low--fewer than 10 out of nearly 2400 on Ancestry and 200 on FTDNA.

With the new price for 23&Me, I'm wondering what it would add to my body of knowledge. I am only mildly interested in the medical information, but intrigued by their goal of expanding their data base. My principal goal would be to find matches related to my family's Anglo-Norman Irish, Scots-Irish and German ancestry. (All branches of my family originate with 19th century immigrants from Europe.) So I would be particularly interested if, now or in the future, 23&Me could include participants from those populations.

Any comments welcome. If you have tested with 23&Me, how did it add to your information? If not, why have you chosen not to purchase the product?

Jim

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
    My principal goal would be to find matches related to my family's Anglo-Norman Irish, Scots-Irish and German ancestry. (All branches of my family originate with 19th century immigrants from Europe.) So I would be particularly interested if, now or in the future, 23&Me could include participants from those populations.
    23&Me's recent price reduction to $99 does represent a good value but comes with no guarantees they will be successful in attracting users from the populations in which you are most interested

Comment

Hello
      My name is Mark and I am a DNA testing addict. I have used DNA tribes,Family Tree DNA (all possible tests), 23andme and National geographic (twice). Just do it , you'll enjoy it.

Comment

23&Me Comparative Value

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
        23&Me's recent price reduction to $99 does represent a good value but comes with no guarantees they will be successful in attracting users from the populations in which you are most interested
        Yes, I understand. I am wondering whether others who are researching those populations have had more, less, or about the same level of success on 23&Me as on FTDNA and Ancestry.

Jim

Comment

Yes, I understand. I am wondering whether others who are researching those populations have had more, less, or about the same level of success on 23&Me as on FTDNA and Ancestry.

Jim
          I am going to guess you will have about the same as FTDNA but you will end up doubling your matches. Most of the matches I have found on gedmatch that have tested with 23andME are not on FTDNA.

To have access to their database for $99 is way worth it to me.
          I am on ancestry as well but not a big fan as I can only confirm one match on there.
          I think the more places you test the better your chances are to match more populations. Most people test and stay at one site which was my original thinking until I started finding cousins in other databases.

Hi Mark, I,m joining your group... I've recently become a DNA testing addict.

Comment

23&Me Comparative Value

I'm almost sold. One other question.

The alternative is to order mtDNA Full Sequence from FTDNA, at about twice the price. I'm inclined not to do this, since I already have my haplogroup and my understanding is that any matches that I get are likely to be more distant than the time period of most interest to me, namely the early 19th and late 18th centuries.

Does that sound right?

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Do you have a rare or common mtDNA haplogroup in your region?

If it is a very common haplogroup, I would tend to save the mtDNA FGS for another day.

Maybe someone could comment on the usefulness of considering mtDNA and FF (and X-chromosome) results together?

Comment

Sometimes these tests are like rolling the dice- hit or miss. In my case the full sequence is the only test I have taken that confirmed without doubt my mothers female line. My guess though is that for most people it's a waste of time. I just had one match but that match was a home run.
                I would suggest doing the 23andme test while the sale lasts and then doing the full sequence another time.

Comment

23&Me Comparative Value

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
                  Sometimes these tests are like rolling the dice- hit or miss. In my case the full sequence is the only test I have taken that confirmed without doubt my mothers female line. My guess though is that for most people it's a waste of time. I just had one match but that match was a home run.
                  I would suggest doing the 23andme test while the sale lasts and then doing the full sequence another time.
                  Sounds good to me. My direct maternal line is one of four that I am hoping to get a break on, but it seems more economical to try the 23&Me test first. I'll order it tomorrow.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
                    Apparently, $99 is the new regular price for 23andMe.

Jim, if you have the option, you should test autosomal DNA of any surviving parents, siblings or your parent's siblings.

If you have already tested FF at FTDNA, you could test a parent or sibling at 23andme and gain exposure to their database.
                    At the same time, you will get your sibling's matches as well as your own.

Comment

23&Me Comparative Value

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                      Apparently, $99 is the new regular price for 23andMe.

Jim, if you have the option, you should test autosomal DNA of any surviving parents, siblings or your parent's siblings.

If you have already tested FF at FTDNA, you could test a parent or sibling at 23andme and gain exposure to their database.
                      At the same time, you will get your sibling's matches as well as your own.
                      Thanks--unfortunately, I am the only one left!

Jim

Comment

Having tested with FT-DNA Comprehensive Genome + YDNA67-111 upgrade, Geno 2.0, all three Ancestry tests, African Ancestry, and 23andMe, I enthusiastically recommend 23andMe. I have about 72 Family Finder matches and about 650 23andMe matches. I am communicating with more 23andMe matches than I have matches to communicate with on Family Finder.

Comment

I'm almost sold. One other question.

The alternative is to order mtDNA Full Sequence from FTDNA, at about twice the price. ...
                          23&Me's $99 cost is for the indefinite future, FTDNA's sale price on FGS is only good to the end of December.

Comment

If you have health concerns than go ahead but for me 23andme is not worth it. Low number of matches that reply and low number of confirmed Common Ancestor. Just not worth it.

Comment

If you were to do FF it would cost $199 on sale until Dec. 31.

I would suggest that you test with 23andme for $99 and then transfer to FTDNA for $89.
                              Next, upload your raw data to Gedmatch.com for free.
                              This way you have exposure to more databases.

Comment

Working...
                              X