Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage

Does anyone have experience with MyHeritage?
    My ancestry.com membership expires in a couple weeks, would this be a good alternative?

Copy of letter;
    [Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage are teaming up once again to offer you a unique, limited time only discount on access to more than 4 billion historical records in MyHeritage’s specialized historical records collection - SuperSearch. SuperSearch is the perfect companion to DNA for boosting your personal ancestral research and for improving our more than 7,000 Surname and Geographic projects.

The door now opens for our community to make use of the MyHeritage SuperSearch data collections at a significantly reduced price. The following is included in this excellent family history resource:

- More than 4 billion historical names
    - One billion exclusive family tree profiles
    - Birth, marriage, death and census records
    - World's largest collection of historical newspapers
    - Millions of tombstone photos
    - Hundreds of exclusive online databases
    - Millions more records added each month

Record Matching
    With this unique offer, you will also enjoy full access to MyHeritage’s Record Matching Technology at no additional cost. This is an extremely powerful feature that matches historical records to names in your family tree with no work on your part. After taking the offer below, you can automatically receive Record Matches for free by creating a family tree at MyHeritage using their friendly tools or importing an existing GEDCOM file. Learn more about Record Matching and see the praise this technology received from some of the world’s foremost genealogists.

All of these features are now available to Family Tree DNA customers and friends for unlimited one year access at the special price of $69.95. This represents a savings of 42% over the regular price. Plus, you will receive two additional months for free. This offer is only available until December 31, 2012 and it is a h-u-g-e bargain compared to prices of the competitor Ancestry.com which are 4x higher.

Together, Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage represent the most advanced combination of genealogical research tools available in the market.]

I tried it, I was not in the least impressed with that company.

Comment

Originally posted by Neves View Post
      Does anyone have experience with MyHeritage?
      My ancestry.com membership expires in a couple weeks, would this be a good alternative?

Copy of letter;
      [Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage are teaming up once again to offer you a unique, limited time only discount on access to more than 4 billion historical records in MyHeritage’s specialized historical records collection - SuperSearch. SuperSearch is the perfect companion to DNA for boosting your personal ancestral research and for improving our more than 7,000 Surname and Geographic projects.

The door now opens for our community to make use of the MyHeritage SuperSearch data collections at a significantly reduced price. The following is included in this excellent family history resource:

- More than 4 billion historical names
      - One billion exclusive family tree profiles
      - Birth, marriage, death and census records
      - World's largest collection of historical newspapers
      - Millions of tombstone photos
      - Hundreds of exclusive online databases
      - Millions more records added each month

Record Matching
      With this unique offer, you will also enjoy full access to MyHeritage’s Record Matching Technology at no additional cost. This is an extremely powerful feature that matches historical records to names in your family tree with no work on your part. After taking the offer below, you can automatically receive Record Matches for free by creating a family tree at MyHeritage using their friendly tools or importing an existing GEDCOM file. Learn more about Record Matching and see the praise this technology received from some of the world’s foremost genealogists.

All of these features are now available to Family Tree DNA customers and friends for unlimited one year access at the special price of $69.95. This represents a savings of 42% over the regular price. Plus, you will receive two additional months for free. This offer is only available until December 31, 2012 and it is a h-u-g-e bargain compared to prices of the competitor Ancestry.com which are 4x higher.

Together, Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage represent the most advanced combination of genealogical research tools available in the market.]
      I use it ( about 2 years ), its better than ancestry and their smartmatching is very good. I found a lot of relatives by smart matching.
      It works like this, once they find ancestors that match in their data , that are entered by different people, they will email you and you then need to agree or disagree with the other person with a tick.
      I matched someone in Brazil ( great grandparents of these migrated there from NE Italy ) in november and we had 98% matching in 6 relatives and we only needed to amend our own branch with the missing portions of the other. .....note..these are my uncles daughters children.

so, IMO , the smartmatching is the benefit, the rest is like all the other companies

Comment

I sort of belong to the MyHeritage site, but have not (yet) paid them any subscription money. I put my basic tree on there, sort of as a backup. They are friendly, though, and I don't see anything against them as far as they go. But Ancestry.com is richer in getting information. So I keep renewing my Ancestry subscription.

Comment

I don't see any mention of synergy between cross-referencing DNA results and trees/records ... as Ancestry does ... seems a natural feature for a genealogy outfit owned by a genealogy-genetics testing company.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
            I don't see any mention of synergy between cross-referencing DNA results and trees/records ... as Ancestry does ... seems a natural feature for a genealogy outfit owned by a genealogy-genetics testing company.
            Shall we start requesting this from Bennett? Or perhaps it's already in the works... Seems like this is the perfect response to all the competition. I just started my family tree there, and I'm very impressed with how many others sharing my (somewhat unusual) surname from Canada, Italy, and the US are already sharing info at the site.

Comment

no intereset whatsoever for me I have no idea of my parent's name

Comment

I have been a member of MyHeritage for years. It's a great site. I think it's the best site out there for uploading your family tree. It's easier to use than Ancestry. I don't subscribe to the records but I am a PremiumPlus subscriber to the site.

Comment

if you know your parents name maybe

Comment

MyHeritage & Ancestry both maybe good for the novice researcher, but neither provide me as an advanced researcher with the vital records.

I was a paid customer with Ancestry for a decade and that was always my #1 complaint, they lacked the vital records to be able to document our family trees. That is also my same complaint to MyHeritage, they lack the vital records to document our trees.

I have never uploaded my family tree to any web site, my tree has never been published in any format, yet anyways. I don't even go look at those online trees because they are so unreliable and undocumented.

Now if either or both companies had all the vital records available, then those trees would have the vital records attached to them, making those trees far more reliable.

After a decade of complaining to the folks at Ancestry for not providing us with enough vital records, they lost me as a customer, and MyHeritage lost me for the excact same reason.
                    For advanced genealogists, the vital records is a must in order to document a family tree, and yes there is a very real distinction between a family tree and a paper trail documented family tree.

Because my tree is so well paper trail documented, is exactly why I have had such good luck in the surname DNA project! I have 8 of us paper trail proven cousins Y DNA tested now, all 8 of us match one another, and some of those cousins are 5th and 6th cousins, our common male ancestor was a man born in the mid 1700's in Virginia.

Those pay for web sites maybe a good starting point for the novice researcher, but for advanced researchers they simply do not provide the advanced researcher with enough vital records.
                    For 65 bucks, I at the very least expected MyHeritage to provide me with the census records and they could not even do that much.

MyHeritage and Ancestry both have lost me as a paying customer because both failed to provide me with what I am looking for in a genealogical service, the vital records.

I stopped paying those pay for web sites and now only use the Family Search web site 100% now days. And quite honestly I have obtained many hundreds of vital records for free from the folks as the Family Search web site then I ever obtained from any of the pay for web sites.

I complained to Ancestry year after year that they needed to put more focus on the vital records and year after year they failed to listen to reason.
                    In order to have a documented family tree, means obtaining copies of the vital records first!

Those companies maybe ok for the novice, but for the advanced user they simply do not meet my needs as a researcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Locke View Post
                      Now if either or both companies had all the vital records available, then those trees would have the vital records attached to them, making those trees far more reliable.
                      You complain about the lack of vital records several time in this thread but I haven't seen any mention of what you are looking for.

Maybe someone else could suggest where you might look if we knew what you were looking for. Maybe the records you want don't exist. Maybe the source of the records won't release them. Maybe no one has bothered to index and/or make digital copies of the records.

I'll agree with you that as a rule the family trees at Ancestry aren't worth the space they take up. If they claim to provide sources they only point to another record that isn't documented.

Comment

Originally posted by Neves View Post
                        Does anyone know how to access the discount? I see nothing at the MyHeritage website.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                          Does anyone know how to access the discount? I see nothing at the MyHeritage website.
                          I received an email a little while back on it from familytreedna. Assume most FTDNA users received it. I was not interested and deleted email, but there was a link in email to MyHeritage website discount page for FTDNA users.

Check your email (junk mail) address you have listed with FTDNA.

Comment

There you go:
                            MyHeritage

I would not recommend to use MyHeritage (for europeans) as I didn't find anything at all and I didn't learn more. It is very limited, et you have to upgrade your account if you want to use some features, and then upgrade your account again to use even more...

It is not cheaper than Ancestry, and the features are not better than Ancestry.

I would agree on the fact that, Ancestry is great to start, the tree looks very nice, and I did find lots of information through the documentation provided and among the trees.

MyHeritage is a waste of time... and money!

Comment

Thanks! Found the old e-mail, signed up for the discounted price, and then received a new e-mail for the same deal. Additionally, Bennett was in the works on this; DNA testing will be integrated into the MyHeritage database of 65 million users. Looks like 23 and Ancestry may have a few million to catch up to after all.
                              Last edited by vinnie; 21 December 2012, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X