J1b..what am I? Batch 114

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by breakwater70
    jm138, I wish you the best in your decision to convert. May it bring you much happiness .
    Thanks breakwater, it is already becoming an exciting prospect, if I had any reservations about all this I would drop it right now but it is like I actually waited for 55 years of my life to find this out and all the puzzle pieces have finally been finished. I think the mosaic that my life has been is finally starting to become an whole picture. I am a combat veteran and I have relied on my instincts for a long time. My instincts tell me I am on the right path and it just plain feels right. I think is was just time to wake up. I hope you find some resolution in your own research. I spoke with Mr. Greenspan and placed my mom's name on the Anusim study so if you hear of another Franco who crazily believes he or she is Jewish steer them to the study, they might be right

Comment

To jm138

I support all those who have encouraged you to follow your feelings. I need to confess that I am out of my depth on religious matters and it would be best to rely on those with more expertise. As Dentate suggests finding a rabbi or other type of counselor you can trust would be your best bet. In case your present contact does not work, out do Anusim organizations have a list of understanding rabbis. By the way an Ashkenazim rabbi may be just as understanding as a Sephardic one. Good luck in your search or should I say Mazel Tov.

Comment

To clarify my point about Ydna haplogroup J or other haplogroups common among Jewish males----- Of course if one has that haplogroup it is definitely possible that they may be of Jewish ancestry. My point was simply that haplogroup membership is not a guarantee of a Jewish background. On the other hand, if one is in that haplogroup and there is independent evidence of covert Jewish family tradition, then Jewish ancestry is very likely. The same reasoning would apply to Mtdna haplogroups that are common to Jewish females.

Comment

Originally posted by josh w.
          By the way an Ashkenazim rabbi may be just as understanding as a Sephardic one. Good luck in your search or should I say Mazel Tov.
          Thanks Josh and yes I will contact an Orthodox and Conservative Rabbi as well, my feeling is that it will probably wind up being an Orthodox conversion if it is at all possible. Like I stated before I am in a mixed marriage by definition and this is what I need to have answered by whomever (Askenazim or Sephardic Rabbi) chooses to corresponds with me. I was just hoping for a Sephardic contact because of the more common Spanish background. I may not be able to convert at all. What I am coming across, is a trend of Sephardic Messianic congregations. In each instance that I found a link to a Sephardic group they turned out to be messianic.... I dont need to confuse this issue anymore than it already is but there seems to be some sort of pattern to this. At one site the Rabbi was actually going to Latin America to convert Peruvians to Messianic Judaism because of what he calls the Anusim bloodlines there. This appears to be a syncretization of jewish and christian beliefs, but after 500 years I dont think I need to find some other form of hiding. I just want to get back home if I can. I will leave this issue for someone else.

Comment

[QUOTE=dentate]I agree with everything Josh said. Jm138, I can't imagine anyone reading your story and not feeling incredibly moved by it. It is one of those cases of those of us who take our religious identity and freedom for granted needing to be reminded, from time to time, that not all have been so lucky.

Dentate I can only say that it will be the worst blow to me if I find that I cannot convert. But it will all have been worth it, just to have found that part of me that has been missing. I can best describe the feeling of having found a lost twin sibling. Some part of me that has been missing that is so close, like a latent image within me, has finally materialized. How can you describe something like this? If I serve as any kind of reminder let it be that the spark never quit calling me, nor will it for you and your children, and their children, I believe it is that special...like a beacon that keeps signaling. 500 long years..."what a long strange trip its been" blessings to all.
            jm138

Comment

To Jm138---There should be no problem finding an appropriate congregation. I am unfamiliar with Florida but there should be a listing for a board of rabbis near your community. There are other organizations such as the UJA that might be helpful. Messianic Judiasm is not exactly representative of most congegations especially Messianic organizations that advertise for converts. Again I am out of my depth, but from what I have seen some rabbis would not even require a formal conversion process. While Judiasm does not especially seek converts, the door is generally open to those who wish to convert.

Comment

JM138,

Josh is right. I cannot imagine any of the principle movements within Judaism turning you away if you wish to convert. They will simply have different requirements. In general, it takes a bit more than converting to Islam or Christianity; you will probably be required to study or take a formal course, take part in special ceremonies like a mikveh (ritual bath) or brit milah, and be questioned by a rabbinical court (bet din) about your sincerity in converting and knowledge of Judaism. These things are not meant to discourage you, but to demonstrate that you understand the full meaning of the commitment. The Orthodox movement is especially demanding, but as I have said, they will have no trouble at all understanding why you would want to convert.

Also, choosing one movement or another, or Sephardic or Ashkenazic congregations, is not a lifetime irreversible commitment either. I know many people who have moved between Orthodox and Reform and everywhere in between depending on where they were living and other factors.

JM138, I am certainly not a rabbi so I am going to stop lecturing on this topic. However, I will say that you should choose the movement and congregation that most appeals to you. If you feel uncomfortable, keep looking. I know that you would be welcomed in the congregation to which I belong (conservative) and I have no doubt you will find many similar places where you live...

Comment

Working...
                X