No Match to Mom??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Match to Mom??

I recently received my DNA results and a month later received my Mom's. I was surprised to see we didn't match. I am in Haplogroup U and she is in H. So, of course, my questions is . . . WHY? She gave birth in a hospital and a lot of people say we look alike. How often are the tests inaccurate? I see the only other possibility of being switched at birth. Can anyone guide me or offer an explanation other than the "switch."
    I have 7 mutations and she has 3. I do have 2 of her mutations, 16189C and 16519C. I need some help understanding this. I currently have my Uncle being tested (My Mom's brother) and I also have ordered a kit for my sister.[email protected]

Originally posted by Kathy
    I recently received my DNA results and a month later received my Mom's. I was surprised to see we didn't match. I am in Haplogroup U and she is in H. So, of course, my questions is . . . WHY? She gave birth in a hospital and a lot of people say we look alike. How often are the tests inaccurate? I see the only other possibility of being switched at birth. Can anyone guide me or offer an explanation other than the "switch."
    I have 7 mutations and she has 3. I do have 2 of her mutations, 16189C and 16519C. I need some help understanding this. I currently have my Uncle being tested (My Mom's brother) and I also have ordered a kit for my sister.[email protected]
    It is sometimes difficult to keep your thread in the limelight, so I will answer just to help with that.

I believe mistakes are extremely rare but could happen - how about the possibility of a switch of the DNA samples, rather than a switch at birth?

The best approach is probably to await results on your uncle and sister.

Comment

I would wait for the results from your Uncle and Sister. If they match you and not your mom, then that would mean the Lab switched your mother's sample. If they match your mom and not you, I would ask FTDNA to run your sample again and have it re-tested, just to make sure they didn't switch your sample.

Comment

what does it mean?

Hi everyone,
        I was a little disappointed with my results. I printed them out and recieved one page of information(which I can barely make sense of,) a certificate and map showing my haplogroup which is H.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN????

Comment

Originally posted by paulettebodere
          Hi everyone,
          I was a little disappointed with my results. I printed them out and recieved one page of information(which I can barely make sense of,) a certificate and map showing my haplogroup which is H.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN????

in a while you 'll get a packet from ftdna

what does it mean?

WELL IT MEANS
          after some time you learn and hear alot of stuff but as matchs come an you meet and talk with some of them a picture can develope . experts will tell you stuff and newbies will drop gems.eventually you will see that picture

experts told me e3b in ireland = neolithic farmer and thats true
          but my matches suggest jewish heritage not a few but half and some 25 matches with a history of forced conversion.
          a good sence of history wont hurt either
          but the truth is we need alot more people to test before it comes with a bat and hits you in the face and you say oh thats it.

I have a good idea what happened but i could be wrong we will see.

the good news is after you and me join our Ancestors this will work for us.
          your great neice will add info from this to the family tree
          imagine if you had this from your ggranddad & his wife.what would that be worth lol

Comment

Originally posted by bobr
            I would wait for the results from your Uncle and Sister. If they match you and not your mom, then that would mean the Lab switched your mother's sample. If they match your mom and not you, I would ask FTDNA to run your sample again and have it re-tested, just to make sure they didn't switch your sample.
            I know this is old, but I still want to toss in my two cents.
            I'm sure you've gotten your results by now. In any case I can see three reasons for a daughter not matching her mother.

1. Lab screwed up. - That would be my bet.
            2. The daughter was adopted and the mother never told her.
            3. Switched at birth.
            4. Inherited mtDNA from father. I've heard of it happening. I can't look it up now to give links. It's very, very rare.

Comment

There is also the case of the woman in Boston who has 2 distinct sets of mtDNA. Her blood cells have one mtDNA and her other cells have a different mtDNA. She passed on one set of mtDNA to one of her sons and the other set to her other sons. Here is the audio link about her story as featured on NPR radio: http://www.npr.org/dmg/audioplayer.p...-2003&segNum=5

Comment

Originally posted by Padgett
                There is also the case of the woman in Boston who has 2 distinct sets of mtDNA. Her blood cells have one mtDNA and her other cells have a different mtDNA. She passed on one set of mtDNA to one of her sons and the other set to her other sons. Here is the audio link about her story as featured on NPR radio: http://www.npr.org/dmg/audioplayer.p...-2003&segNum=5
                I remember something like that. The woman was a chimera, meaning twins fused in her mothers womb. I don't know how that happens, or how often. This woman (I think a different one than the above) had two blood types.

Comment

Well, if I'm Haplogroup A but nobody knows about an Indian in the family, there are some possible explanations:

1) Mother got mtDNA from her father. I could not have gotten Haplogroup A from my father because he's European. Mother's family has been in the Americas longer. And unlike her mother's family, where everyone knew where and when they came from, her father's family's background is mainly speculation.

2) Lab mixed up results. Possibly, but I cannot afford a second test at the moment. Family members did suggest re-testing, though. Plus I am interested in the full ethnicity test, because I do want to find out if my patrilineal family did have Jewish origins as well.

3) Back migration of someone with a matrilineal Indian ancestor from the Americas to the Canary Islands. This is likely, especially considering that A was not present in the ancestors of the original Indians where my mother's family is from.

4) Someone with Haplogroup A snuck in to the Canaries another way. Unlikely from what I have learned here.

Comment

Maybe your mother is a "Camera", so it on TV some months ago, the mother had two sets of genomes, it had really bad consequences for some of these families. The court even believed the mother had kidnapped the daughter from someone else and they took away the daughter, but later tests of the extended family confirmed that the daughter was part of the bigger family and that the mother was a "Camera".

Comment

Oh Goodness,

If the straight forward DNA was hard enough to understand...now all this.

Say,,, right now all I know is I am H-13 with the refined test...with the added numbers and from what little I can find about it makes me Italian on Mom's side.
                      However my mother's direct line is Acadian French. The only loose cannon so to speak is my Grandfather. We do not know where he came from? Only thing I do know is he had dark Olive skin, jet black hair. There were rumors that he was from Italy...or maybe Native American.

So if this true,,,my mother may be picking up DNA genes from her father's side?
                      Last edited by Shari; 24 February 2006, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shari
                        Oh Goodness,

If the straight forward DNA was hard enough to understand...now all this.

Say,,, right now all I know is I am H-13 with the refined test...with the added numbers and from what little I can find about it makes me Italian on Mom's side.
                        However my mother's direct line is Acadian French. The only loose cannon so to speak is my Grandfather. We do not know where he came from? Only thing I do know is he had dark Olive skin, jet black hair. There were rumors that he was from Italy...or maybe Native American.

So if this true,,,my mother may be picking up DNA genes from her father's side?
                        There is no influence from males on the MtDNA. MtDNA mutates slower than Y-DNA, so the matches you get with italy are most likely from an ancestor that lived prior to the formation of the borders of Italy and France. France borders Italy, so this is not surprising.

Comment

Humm,, so I read that wrong. I can not have male (mom's Dad's) mtDNA show up in my mom's mtDNA?
                          Sorry that is confusing because I am trying to figure out how to best ask the question.

Comment

http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/glossaryh.htm

heteroplasmy: Extranuclear inheritence, usually in reference to the inheritence of mtDNA from the father.

Examples of heteroplasmy:
                            Man has mtDNA from mother and father.

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=5

I'm sure there are more. Try searching "mitochondrial heteroplasmy."

Comment

Actually these people are called "Chimeras" and they happen when two embyos fuse together in the womb before implantation and become one. I saw that show on the Discovery Channel and it was fascinating. One baby who was a chimera was born half male and half female. But the chimera would have the same mtDNA no matter what because both embryos before they fused would come from the same mother and mtDNA testing on the mother and the child would prove it.

Originally posted by Noaide
                              Maybe your mother is a "Camera", so it on TV some months ago, the mother had two sets of genomes, it had really bad consequences for some of these families. The court even believed the mother had kidnapped the daughter from someone else and they took away the daughter, but later tests of the extended family confirmed that the daughter was part of the bigger family and that the mother was a "Camera".

Comment

Working...
                              X