Native Americans related to European hunter-gatherers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native Americans related to European hunter-gatherers

The article talks about "modern Native Americans" well most modern Native Americans are mixed with Europeans they have been for the last 500 years everyone knows that but using these recently mixed people and making a link 15,000 years ago is a joke same as the bering strait theory the Chinese were in America in 1421 way before Columbus and left there dna here as well.

http://www.gavinmenzies.net/china/ma...united-states/

Comment

The article talks about "modern Native Americans" well most modern Native Americans are mixed with Europeans they have been for the last 500 years everyone knows that but using these recently mixed people and making a link 15,000 years ago is a joke same as the bering strait theory the Chinese were in America in 1421 way before Columbus and left there dna here as well.

Comment

This is an interesting article.

I noticed that the link to the Beringia crossing is still part of these latest findings. It seems to me that there was one academic a while back who theorized that there were two main influxes of proto-Native Americans: some across Beringia (between eastern Siberia and Alaska) and others from Europe who followed the southern, seaside edge of the ice sheet during the last ice age.
        Last edited by mixedkid; 1 December 2012, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by madman View Post

I have noticed that when comparing some of my own Scandinavian cousins on GEDmatch, they come up with slight hints of Amerindian + Arctic peoples ancestry, scattered throughout their chromsomes. Perhaps this is from either: (1) Expected, ancient couplings of the more European proto-Scandinavians with Arctic peoples or (2) the end results of couplings between Native Americans and Scandinavians in the abandoned Viking colonies in Greenland, Baffin Island and mainland North America.

Comment

As is typical in scientific articles about DNA, they omitted what would be most meaningful to us; namely haplogroups. Do the geneticists see this similarity in y-DNA, mtDNA, or autosomal DNA?

Were they actually describing the presence of the Q haplogroup in Europe? I think there is considerable evidence of a migration from Beringia westward, presumably following the reindeer herds that brought the population all the way to Scandinavia.

One of my ancestral families is the Eggleston family of Yorkshire, England. Their y-DNA is haplogroup Q1a3a, which is just one SNP above M19. Yorkshire was settled heavily by Vikings. The Q haplogroup is at far higher frequencies in Scandinavia than in Britain.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Funny how they can come to this conclusion since every admix test even on my own family comes out different. How does one do a study if each company (even admix utilities on gedmatch) comes up with different results. In general they give people in Mexico that they know are AI, High Finnish/Russian %. I highly doubt all those in Mexico are Finnish/Russian

Comment

Originally posted by mixedkid View Post
                I have noticed that when comparing some of my own Scandinavian cousins on GEDmatch, they come up with slight hints of Amerindian + Arctic peoples ancestry, scattered throughout their chromsomes. Perhaps this is from either: (1) Expected, ancient couplings of the more European proto-Scandinavians with Arctic peoples or (2) the end results of couplings between Native Americans and Scandinavians in the abandoned Viking colonies in Greenland, Baffin Island and mainland North America.
                In order for the later case to work, offspring of such unions would have had to make their way back to Scandinavia and go on to produce many successful lines, or stay in the New World and produce sufficient successful lines to populate two continents.

The more likely source population was proto South Central Asians who moved north, then west to Europe, and east to Beringia. Couple years back a linguist identified the Kett as the Uralic population closest to Athabascans.
                Last edited by tomcat; 1 December 2012, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                  Funny how they can come to this conclusion since every admix test even on my own family comes out different. How does one do a study if each company (even admix utilities on gedmatch) comes up with different results. In general they give people in Mexico that they know are AI, High Finnish/Russian %. I highly doubt all those in Mexico are Finnish/Russian
                  Yeah, this anomaly has been discussed in the ancestry community for a couple of years. Now we have "official" confirmation.

Comment

The Ket, not the Kett (thinking of Etta Kett):

Comment

Article abstract:

Population mixture is an important process in biology. We present a suite of methods for learning about population mixtures, implemented in a software package called ADMIXTOOLS, that support formal tests for whether mixture occurred and make it possible to infer proportions and dates of mixture. We also describe the development of a new single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) array consisting of 629,433 sites with clearly documented ascertainment that was specifically designed for population genetic analyses and that we genotyped in 934 individuals from 53 diverse populations. To illustrate the methods, we give a number of examples that provide new insights about the history of human admixture. The most striking finding is a clear signal of admixture into northern Europe, with one ancestral population related to present-day Basques and Sardinians and the other related to present-day populations of northeast Asia and the Americas. This likely reflects a history of admixture between Neolithic migrants and the indigenous Mesolithic population of Europe, consistent with recent analyses of ancient bones from Sweden and the sequencing of the genome of the Tyrolean “Iceman.”

Obviously, an autosomal study. Obviously, the GenoChip that might have been.

Comment

Working...
                      X