Triangulation matching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triangulation matching

How does the triangulation work on gedmatch.com?

I’m guessing that it lets you upload people whom you share a common ancestor with and “triangulate” the match.

I understand how to get my data file from FF matches and upload it.
    But gedmatch says that it matches to names.
    Does that just mean that it uses the name from FF datalist to find the DNA files on gedmatch.com rather than the Fxxxxx ID? and if someone on your list has not uploaded their raw data they will not show up?

Can I include people who are in the gedmatch database that are from 23andMe if I know their gedmatch Mxxxxx ID? or can I only use people from FF?

Someone told me that using the triangulation utility will open your email address up to spammers.
    Any more than than I already am for having my raw data and GEDCOM uploaded?

Does anyone have experience as to the best way to go about using the triangulation feature? and mind sharing your experience?

thanks

Originally posted by Neves View Post
    How does the triangulation work on gedmatch.com?

I’m guessing that it lets you upload people whom you share a common ancestor with and “triangulate” the match.

I understand how to get my data file from FF matches and upload it.
    But gedmatch says that it matches to names.
    Does that just mean that it uses the name from FF datalist to find the DNA files on gedmatch.com rather than the Fxxxxx ID? and if someone on your list has not uploaded their raw data they will not show up?

Can I include people who are in the gedmatch database that are from 23andMe if I know their gedmatch Mxxxxx ID? or can I only use people from FF?

Someone told me that using the triangulation utility will open your email address up to spammers.
    Any more than than I already am for having my raw data and GEDCOM uploaded?

Does anyone have experience as to the best way to go about using the triangulation feature? and mind sharing your experience?

thanks
    When you upload your match list it lists each match separately

Under each of your matches names it then lists all other Gedmatch users who have also uploaded their data and match that person from your list (incudes both 23andme and ftdna testers)

it also shows the Relationships between people on list who match your match. Lists which ones match each other as well as match in question.

If one of your matches has uploaded their match list, it allows you to click on their name and view their match list triangulation utility.

email addresses are listed which yes can potentially be spammed but each has to be copied manually as only the beginning of email can be copied, the end is in picture format. ie [email protected] is text, gmail.com is picture. Probably not impossible for spam bots but harder.

If you don't want your every day email to be subjected to spam, you can set up a alternate one dedicated to your genealogy research.

Comment

2 more questions....

Can I delete any uploaded matches if I determine that they dont contain the information I'm looking for or are they on there forever? I did a test run to see what would happen, now I want to clear it all off.

The common ancestor that I want to triangulate matches with tested on 23&me.
      How can I do that if my data is on FTDNA? Is there a way to create a match list on gedmatch.com to use with the triangulation utility?

Comment

Originally posted by Neves View Post
        2 more questions....

Can I delete any uploaded matches if I determine that they dont contain the information I'm looking for or are they on there forever? I did a test run to see what would happen, now I want to clear it all off.
        Anytime you upload a new match list it clears out the old one.
        This allows you to always update it when new matches arrive

The common ancestor that I want to triangulate matches with tested on 23&me.
        How can I do that if my data is on FTDNA? Is there a way to create a match list on gedmatch.com to use with the triangulation utility?
        Second part I am not to sure of but ...

If your match on gedmatch has uploaded their match list you can click on it and compare to yours.

To see if they have uploaded their match list you can either enter their kit number in triangulation utility or see if there is a "T" listed in triangulation section by their kit number when you view your matches in Compare your FTDNA or 23andMe results with all raw DNA results in our public database.

If it is not there I don't believe you can without contacting match for list.
        Last edited by prairielad; 27 November 2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X