Cross-match visualization tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross-match visualization tools?

I'm wondering if there are any visualization tools for cross matches. That is, as an example, my father and I are both related to a person "c", but I have some additional matches to "c" my father does not from my mother's side [yay, Ashkenazi]. I can certainly compare tables, but if there was a tool to visualize this in color - say, one for common shared between all three of us, a color for just "c" and I, and a third for just "c" and my father - that would be a beautiful thing....

Originally posted by sjadelson View Post
    I'm wondering if there are any visualization tools for cross matches. That is, as an example, my father and I are both related to a person "c", but I have some additional matches to "c" my father does not from my mother's side [yay, Ashkenazi]. I can certainly compare tables, but if there was a tool to visualize this in color - say, one for common shared between all three of us, a color for just "c" and I, and a third for just "c" and my father - that would be a beautiful thing....
    Go to Gedmatch and upload your info there.

Comment

What GEDMATCH tools exist that do as I describe? Also, that's no help if "c" hasn't uploaded their data.

Comment

Sounds like you want a chromosome map which distinguishes lines (paternal/maternal) per match. You may have to wait until FTDNA releases their phasing (parent/child) feature for this one..

Matt.

Comment

Pretty much, Matt, although my idea applies to any three individuals who are mutually related.

Comment

You'll like Gedmatch no matter what look around try it all, find what helps and interest you there will be more than one thing there that you'll find interesting and helpful . You can ask c to upload, if they want, you'll still like what you find there and be able to compare others you are interested in.
            Last edited by EdwardRHill; 22 November 2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I was hoping for better than "go there and figure it out yourself", Ed.

Edit: Thank you for cleaning up the snark. Happy Thanksgiving.

Comment

I'm no expert but its free and you want something that has painting so you can compare and that would be Ad mix Utilities.

Comment

OK, thanks, I'll check that out.

Comment

sjadelson

Look at following pictures, I made original in first photo in excel, second I manually doctored in Paint.

Still trying to figure a formula out that will give results as doctored one. Need to divide the share block of Person A and B to include a block size the size as ones shared with person C

Pictures are of two siblings (A and B) and a shared match (C)

Blue is the common shared DNA. (only 4 spots)

Is this what you where thinking?

In a way it may just be as easy to compare 3 people in browser and look at spots shared by all three (as the blue sections)
                    Last edited by prairielad; 24 February 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Yes, exactly what I'm trying to accomplish! Eye-balling it in three different browser windows is tedious and imprecise.

Can you share how you did it in Excel?

Comment

Well first off let me say originally (and still am) a novice with excel, I tried various things and ways to try and compare matches between my kits.

My breakthrough came when I saw the following thread

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=31462

Zarlor in post#11 posted a link to site talking about making charts where he asked about how to make a chromosome chart.

It took me a little playing around and trying to figure out which formulas in excel would work for what I was trying to accomplish. Then had to figure out how to format chart to look this way. Does not look like that originally but once I figured it out it is fairly simple, a bit time consuming setting up color codes used.

My spreadsheets are still alittle messy(unsorted with data all over the place)

I am not sure how to explain how it is done as there is multiple steps and formatting of a stacked bar chart to get that result.

I will try and clean up this spreadsheet and post it for you to look at.

Comment

You can go to the book store and by a book on how to do that I have one but there is no way I'm going to type out the instruction. It cost about 25 bucks.

Comment

Here is the spreedsheet

It is a rough copy with probably easier ways of sorting data.
                            But I believe it works correctly for what you where looking for
                            Last edited by prairielad; 24 February 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

HaHAAAAAAAAAA!!! I figured it almost out.

Step 1. Go to Chromosome Browser and compare the matches of interest.

Step 2. On the right side of the page look for "Optional Views: Download to Excel (CSV Format)" and click that.

Step 3. On the top of the Excel page look for "insert" and click.

Step 4. Find "Bar" and click.

Step 5. Look for "2D Bar" and click "Clustered Bar".

Step 6. A box will appear, notice the three dots at the top, bottom, corners, and sides. Click and drag these dots to increase size of box and view results.

Now if I can figure out how to compare "A","B", and "C" like the other guy did.

Comment

Working...
                              X