a very stupid question but had to ask it lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a very stupid question but had to ask it lol

hello sorry for the question but this will help me as well better understand how the tests are done.
    If a was very stupid or drunk or whatever and sent samples of my cat's DNA (told you lol), when would the test notice it and what would happen lol?
    of course I sent mine obvisoulsy even though my cat is from persia eheh not very far from lebanon
    sorry for the question again good night

Well, it would be noticed very quickly. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes and cats have 38 pairs! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...romosome_count But, still, humans and cats share about 90% of DNA - they're just spread over more chromosomes in the cat.

If you want to have your kitty tested, for whatever reason, send the DNA to http://www.catdna.org/ That will help anyone determine the paternity of the litter of kittens that may have just popped out - only $38.

Comment

lol thank you but why is it so much cheaper for cats lol, no familly finder or what? ptdr

Comment

Originally posted by boutrosdu93 View Post
        hello sorry for the question but this will help me as well better understand how the tests are done.
        If a was very stupid or drunk or whatever and sent samples of my cat's DNA (told you lol), when would the test notice it and what would happen lol?
        of course I sent mine obvisoulsy even though my cat is from persia eheh not very far from lebanon
        sorry for the question again good night
        The sample would fail sequencing to such a degree that the lab would be unable to verify results.

At worst, you will lose the cost of the test, and your imported cat will gain no insight into his/her ancestry.

Yes, cats have DNA and, like human DNA, the bases are CATG, but the sequences that lead to the specific C or A or T or G targeted by the test are different in humans and cats. The chips for human DNA are programmed for human DNA.

You have the internet, Google "gene chip" ...

Comment

Tomcat- that was bad. lol

Comment

Thank you brunetmj for your lol. You may be the only poster to have enjoyed my DELETED addendum.

Let's try again ...

At best, you would get another kit with an injunction not to share bodily fluids with your cat prior to swabbing.
            Last edited by tomcat; 10 November 2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Tomcat - I hope the administrators look at the OP's second post under Family Finder. He may be a troll.
              All you did was be funny.

Comment

Do you think I'm a troll ? I don't understand why

Comment

Above is why and then another post in Family Finder which appears argumentative. However after looking through your past posts I see that I am wrong. So I apologize for the Troll comment.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                    Well, it would be noticed very quickly. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes and cats have 38 pairs!
                    Actually, the DNA is chopped up into little pieces during preparation, so the number of chromosomes can't be counted. The amplification process uses "primers" to target very specific DNA sequences that are found only on one human chromosome, which also eliminates the bacteria in the sample.

I did know someone who submitted a sample from his dog. The lab tried several times to amplify it before they gave up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
                      Actually, the DNA is chopped up into little pieces during preparation, so the number of chromosomes can't be counted. The amplification process uses "primers" to target very specific DNA sequences that are found only on one human chromosome, which also eliminates the bacteria in the sample.

I did know someone who submitted a sample from his dog. The lab tried several times to amplify it before they gave up.
                      Ha...some people have more money than good sense and that is a scientific fact.

Comment

I can't imagine getting a cheek swab from my cat. I would get torn to shreds. You must have a very cooperative cat.

Comment

I don't know brune why you say I 'm argumentative, just not understanding certaint things but I think we quite agreed on the other thread.
                          for this thread it's only for people with humour lol i like the one who submitted his dog's dna

Comment

I don't know brune why you say I 'm argumentative, just not understanding certaint things but I think we quite agreed on the other thread.
                            It was because I read this post (DNA testing a cat) and then read
                            “yeah and this is rubbish for example, they just say "french" and when you go to french : (while referring to reference groups”” in the other thread. Combining these threads it looked like your aim was to cause trouble. However after reading your other posts I was able to understand where you were coming from. When I reached the conclusion you were posting legitimate concerns , and not causing trouble, I responded to the other thread (hence our agreement). So it just a misunderstanding for which I apologized.

Comment

ok ok don't worry , have you ever been to dieppe?

Comment

Working...
                              X