Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller matches at Gedmatch

Hi,
    My mother has 3 cousins who all share a common ancestor with her above the 7cM threshold.
    One of these cousins is at Gedmatch where her son and Granddaughter also have accounts.
    Today I noticed that they all share a small segment in common across and between 23andme and FTDNA kits but it is only 3.5cM long!
    Is this an example of a segment being passed down the generations despite it's size? I thought anything below 5cM was random but this seems to be genuine?

Anything below 5cm could be random according to the standards of the test provider but the evidence of the different and larger match supports the idea that the 3.5cM segment is not random in this case.

23&Me has a 7cM standard for their Relative Finder matches but allows 5cM matches on Ancestry Finder and will include 5cM matches in Relative Finder results if "verified" by other shared segments at or above their 7cM Relative Finder threshold.

Comment

Thanks Tomcat,
      The matches are present across all three kits my mother has submitted (23andme, FTDNA, deCODEme) so it doesn't appear to be a random flook via just one kit.
      The son and Granddaughter have only done FTDNA whereas the Grandmother has only done 23andme so only via the wonders of Gedmatch could I have found this mini match

Comment

Originally posted by Boudicca View Post
        Thanks Tomcat,
        The matches are present across all three kits my mother has submitted (23andme, FTDNA, deCODEme) so it doesn't appear to be a random flook via just one kit.
        You misunderstand the source of the randomness. There may be some noise in the test. That is how measurement works. However, the major source of random non-descent matches is the DNA itself.

Comment

Hi MFWare,
          Thanks for your reply but I don't understand what you mean. I don't know what the source of the randomness is?
          Is my example random or non random considering the size? I would say not because it's been passed down 3 generations but I don't know much about matching smaller segments.

Comment

Working...
          X