Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AncestryDNA available to subscribers online.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    1. What is the research project?
    The AncestryDNA's Human Genetic Diversity Project ("The Project") will collect, preserve and analyze genetic information, genealogical pedigrees, historical records, surveys, medical and health records and other information (collectively, "Information") from people all around the world in order to better understand human evolution and migration, population genetics, ethnographic diversity and boundaries, genealogy, and the history of our species. Researchers hope that the Project will be an invaluable genealogic tool for future generations and will engage the interest of a wide range of scholars interested in genealogy, anthropology, evolution, languages, cultures, medicine, and other topics. The Information will not be used for medical purposes in the treatment or diagnosis of any individuals


    Again It doesn't say what you guys say it is saying they are not testing for Health or Medical.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
      1. What is the research project?
      The AncestryDNA's Human Genetic Diversity Project ("The Project") will collect, preserve and analyze genetic information, genealogical pedigrees, historical records, surveys, medical and health records and other information (collectively, "Information") from people all around the world in order to better understand human evolution and migration, population genetics, ethnographic diversity and boundaries, genealogy, and the history of our species. Researchers hope that the Project will be an invaluable genealogic tool for future generations and will engage the interest of a wide range of scholars interested in genealogy, anthropology, evolution, languages, cultures, medicine, and other topics. The Information will not be used for medical purposes in the treatment or diagnosis of any individuals


      Again It doesn't say what you guys say it is saying they are not testing for Health or Medical.
      They are testing for it -- they're just not giving the results.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
        ... The Information will not be used for medical purposes in the treatment or diagnosis of any individuals

        Again It doesn't say what you guys say it is saying they are not testing for Health or Medical.
        So all medical and health information derived, collected or inferred, short of that with application to "treatment or diagnosis" is fair game. And who is the watchdog assuring they do what they say they are going to do?
        tomcat
        FTDNA Customer
        Last edited by tomcat; 3 November 2012, 04:22 PM.

        Comment


        • #34
          To be clear about this, I am not at all opposed to DNA-based medical/health research! When I was on 23&Me, I was all in - did all the surveys, all the snippets, the whole nine yards.

          But I do think consumers should be fully aware of what they are getting into before they take the plunge and not trust in the supposed goodwill of the company with which they are doing business - that they be aware of their projections and aware that the business world often runs on a different set of standards.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Javelin View Post
            They are testing for it -- they're just not giving the results.
            1. What is the research project?
            The AncestryDNA's Human Genetic Diversity Project ("The Project") will collect, preserve and analyze genetic information, genealogical pedigrees, historical records, surveys, medical and health records and other information (collectively, "Information") from people all around the world in order to better understand human evolution and migration, population genetics, ethnographic diversity and boundaries, genealogy, and the history of our species. Researchers hope that the Project will be an invaluable genealogic tool for future generations and will engage the interest of a wide range of scholars interested in genealogy, anthropology, evolution, languages, cultures, medicine, and other topics. The Information will not be used for medical purposes in the treatment or diagnosis of any individuals

            I think there are some here that think the rest of us are idiots. You high light word that you think will prove your point and the rest of us will not read the rest.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by tomcat View Post
              So all medical and health information derived, collected or inferred, short of that with application to "treatment or diagnosis" is fair game. And who is the watchdog assuring they do what they say they are going to do?
              I don't know what your problem with Ancestry and don't care but that could be said about the rest 23andme, FTDNA, Gedmatch, Dr McDonald and the rest.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                To be clear about this, I am not at all opposed to DNA-based medical/health research! When I was on 23&Me, I was all in - did all the surveys, all the snippets, the whole nine yards.

                But I do think consumers should be fully aware of what they are getting into before they take the plunge and not trust in the supposed goodwill of the company with which they are doing business - that they be aware of their projections and aware that the business world often runs on a different set of standards.
                Give me proof Ancestry doing that your high lighting words and not the whole sentences which could mean two things and they are you are trying to deceive or your just not getting it.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Another thing Ancestry not paying me but I paid them for the test and people trying to deceive or lie because of some past problem other than the test will only get me working to argue the other side. I am having more luck with Ancestry than 23andme and FTDNA. Stop being your own worst enemy and give it a try.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
                    ... sentences which could mean two things ..
                    That might be part of the problem.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
                      1. What is the research project?

                      The AncestryDNA's Human Genetic Diversity Project ("The Project") will collect, preserve and analyze genetic information, genealogical pedigrees, historical records, surveys, medical and health records and other information (collectively, "Information") from people all around the world in order to better understand human evolution and migration, population genetics, ethnographic diversity and boundaries, genealogy, and the history of our species. Researchers hope that the Project will be an invaluable genealogic tool for future generations and will engage the interest of a wide range of scholars interested in genealogy, anthropology, evolution, languages, cultures, medicine, and other topics. The Information will not be used for medical purposes in the treatment or diagnosis of any individuals

                      Again It doesn't what you guys say it is saying they are not testing for Health or Medical.
                      You should have highlighted the Project will COLLECT, PRESERVE and ANALYSE your genetic info also medical and heath. Read the whole statement. When you registered your kit you had to agree to a consent, in that consent it gave you the option of emailing ancestry to opt out of medical and genetic research by emailing them at [email protected]. If you did not read that consent and email ancestry to Opt out of research then they used your DNA for all of the above research including genetic, medical and health.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                        That might be part of the problem.
                        well thats can be credited towards my poor writing skills and being in a hurry.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                          You should have highlighted the Project will COLLECT, PRESERVE and ANALYSE your genetic info also medical and heath. Read the whole statement. When you registered your kit you had to agree to a consent, in that consent it gave you the option of emailing ancestry to opt out of medical and genetic research by emailing them at [email protected]. If you did not read that consent and email ancestry to Opt out of research then they used your DNA for all of the above research including genetic, medical and health.
                          I posted it twice so other can read the whole thing because the yellow made it hard to read. You like the others leave out the word "records" and that what I posted is from the consent form and this also is "The Information will not be used for medical purposes in the treatment or diagnosis of any individuals."
                          EdwardRHill
                          Member
                          Last edited by EdwardRHill; 3 November 2012, 10:02 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
                            I don't know what your problem with Ancestry ...
                            You have not been following the topic. This isn't about "the test" but about research participation. One need not participate in the research to enjoy whatever benefits "the test" may produce.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
                              I posted it twice so other can read the whole thing because the yellow made it hard to read. You like the others leave out the word "records" and that what I posted is from the consent form and this also is "The Information will not be used for medical purposes in the treatment or diagnosis of any individuals."
                              Right they wont diagnose you, they are not giving you your medical results that they run for their research. You must opt out of the research to request you not be in their research study. You must email them directly at [email protected] and tell them you do not give them permission to do medical study on your DNA.

                              Your DNA gets attached to your account and your tree. They now have your DNA with all the records you have collected and keeping tabs on your family medical too if you don't tell them not to put you in their research. If you did not tell them to opt you out of their research from the beginning they have already used your DNA for research. Too late. You can ask them to opt you out of future study.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Hey guys,

                                I am going to go ahead and close this thread since it is turning into an argument about another company's test.

                                -Darren Marin
                                Family Tree dNA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X