X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mkdexter
    replied
    Originally posted by djknox View Post
    I bet long term that FTDNA will be acquired by Ancestry.com... say sometime over the next 3 years.
    FTDNA is part of a LLC, Genealogy by Genetics. Ancestry is a C-Corp and publicly traded; ticker symbol ACOM.

FTDNA can't be acquired via stock transfer, etc., it has to be sold and Bennett would have to want to sell it.
    Last edited by mkdexter; 25 October 2012, 11:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    If you think that a private equity firm buys a company so that they can better serve the customers and aren't interested in making lots of money, if necessary by raising prices and cutting services, then I think you haven't been reading the business pages of your local newspaper very closely in recent years.
    No I think they buy a sure thing so they can make money and let others manage the business if they are smart. Like I said Ancestry just hit 2 million subscription so its a strong company who will make money for the investors. Can something come along and mess it up sure just look at NetFlix. But does anyone have prof thats happening with Ancestry yet, no. We will see in six months.

Leave a comment:

• djknox
    replied
    Originally posted by Lklundin View Post
    If there was a way I would rate this as an insightful reply.

Subscribers to ancestry.com and similar services do not control their own data.

And when the time comes to import that possibly somewhat dated GEDCOM into another application, then the ex-subscriber may learn that all that data that was carefully entered into the commercial web site is not faithfully stored in the GEDCOM.

The exact opposite approach is to rely on open standards and to use open-source software, such as the genealogy software gramps.

With that the user can be sure that a version can be developed for future versions of the operating system of choice and thus that the users will always remain in control of their own data.

By FamilyTreeMaker and sychronize... then all your data is perserved offline and in your control... or well, in as much of your control as anything digital today that is totally depend on platform compatibility....

Leave a comment:

• djknox
    replied
    Originally posted by Julie Ann View Post
    Right on.

I love Anc.com. It is my #1 hobby.
    I spend time and money on Anc.com.
    They have a great deal of my personal, historical information, as well as my DNA.

My day job requires considerable involvement with outside PE firms.
    The recent Anc.com sale should cause us to ask a few questions.
    Maybe would should ask Mit R. about all this?? lol

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    If you think that a private equity firm buys a company so that they can better serve the customers and aren't interested in making lots of money, if necessary by raising prices and cutting services, then I think you haven't been reading the business pages of your local newspaper very closely in recent years.
    They might also expand services and grow the company for income or resale. I am not a customer but seem to recall some reported caginess about research when AncestryDNA launched. Could be the acquirer thinks they can back the Brinks truck through that opening - expand AncestryDNA to include health and genetic counseling - rent the resulting db to researchers? Or maybe the acquirer thinks Romney will win the presidency and NARA will be privatized?

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Ancestry to release raw data:

http://dna-explained.com/2012/10/23/...-data-in-2013/

Leave a comment:

• Lklundin
    replied
    Originally posted by Julie Ann View Post
    The questions are what will happen to subscription rates, and our data, and confidentiality issues.

Time to clean up the trees, read the hints and download to a Gedcom file, been meaning to do it any way.
    If there was a way I would rate this as an insightful reply.

Subscribers to ancestry.com and similar services do not control their own data.

And when the time comes to import that possibly somewhat dated GEDCOM into another application, then the ex-subscriber may learn that all that data that was carefully entered into the commercial web site is not faithfully stored in the GEDCOM.

The exact opposite approach is to rely on open standards and to use open-source software, such as the genealogy software gramps.

With that the user can be sure that a version can be developed for future versions of the operating system of choice and thus that the users will always remain in control of their own data.

Leave a comment:

• girlperson1
    replied
    A few years ago, it was announced at an FTDNA conference that they had had a buyout offer from Ancestry.com, but turned it down. Then Ancestry ended up buying Relative Genetics.

I don't think that Bennett Greenspan, the founder of FTDNA, is interested in selling the company to anyone. He was an active genealogist before he founded FTDNA, which is why he founded FTDNA. His interest in the company transcends merely making a profit.
    You and I both hope you're right.

Leave a comment:

• djknox
    replied
    I don't disagree with you MMaddi... but I suspect market dynamics don't favour both players in the same game... and I don't think its practical for consumers to separate dna for genealogy from dna for deep clad purposes. So at some point the way to survive and grow will be to merge and share technology and client bases. I suspect that Mr Greenspan would rather merge and see his efforts continue to bear fruit rather than to die. Of course, it could go the other way too... but this is such a common model in business... the smaller, leaner, smarter company is acquired by the larger company with the resources for sustainability and growth. Anyway, time will tell... but I bet family finder sales are way down now that Ancestry is in the game... and it will likely only get worse unless Ancestry crashes and burns... which certainly is not out of the question I suppose...

Leave a comment:

• gtc
    replied
    A few years ago, it was announced at an FTDNA conference that they had had a buyout offer from Ancestry.com, but turned it down. Then Ancestry ended up buying Relative Genetics.

I don't think that Bennett Greenspan, the founder of FTDNA, is interested in selling the company to anyone. He was an active genealogist before he founded FTDNA, which is why he founded FTDNA. His interest in the company transcends merely making a profit.
    I share your feelings in that regard, nonetheless, a few things need to be considered:

* Bennett and Max are getting to the age when retirement looms

* The science is moving at a fast pace and testing labs need to equipped accordingly, which needs capital

* The competition will grow and new competitors will emerge as the price of entry drops

* In business, big fish tend to eat little the little fish, hence the need to keep growing (often by acquisition)

* And as Andy Groves famously wrote "Only the paranoid survive".

So, one of these days we may see FTDNA do a merger, or even an IPO.

Leave a comment:

• Julie Ann
    replied
    Right on.

I love Anc.com. It is my #1 hobby.
    I spend time and money on Anc.com.
    They have a great deal of my personal, historical information, as well as my DNA.

My day job requires considerable involvement with outside PE firms.
    The recent Anc.com sale should cause us to ask a few questions.
    Last edited by Julie Ann; 23 October 2012, 02:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
    Just another way for those who don't like Ancestry to try to scare others about Ancestry. The company just hit 2 million subscription so maybe its one company that made bad investments in other companies had some other good investment and needed some capital and sold Ancestry because they needed money and Ancestry is a sure bit.

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    Originally posted by gtc View Post
    Even though every business is for sale at the right price, my feeling is that FTDNA's founder-owners would not sell to Ancestry ... not directly.

Last edited by MMaddi; 23 October 2012, 10:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    Just another way for those who don't like Ancestry to try to scare others about Ancestry. The company just hit 2 million subscription so maybe its one company that made bad investments in other companies had some other good investment and needed some capital and sold Ancestry because they needed money and Ancestry is a sure bit.

Leave a comment:

• gtc
    replied
    Originally posted by djknox View Post
    I bet long term that FTDNA will be acquired by Ancestry.com... say sometime over the next 3 years.
    Even though every business is for sale at the right price, my feeling is that FTDNA's founder-owners would not sell to Ancestry ... not directly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X