X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javelin
    replied
    Originally posted by tomcat View Post
    In my opinion, in order for 23&Me to advance in the genealogy market, they need to erect a 'Chinese wall' between Health and Genealogy with different sets of privacy rules on either side.
    Yes -- plus they must also lift the cap on Relative Finder matches, and better address matching for Ashkenazi and partially Ashkenazi people. In the end, phasing of data would also be a huge help to genealogists as well as to medical research.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Although it is difficult to quantify relative advantages, I think both Ancestry and FTDNA are in a position to grow their business.

Ancestry through the conversion of their records research user base to an autosomaly-tested user base and through new subscribers drawn-in by their expanded test capability.

FTDNA through their conversion of Genographic 2.0 testees to the more genealogically-relevant Family Finder, Y, Mt tests, matching and project capabilities as well as new users and the conversion of 23&Me results to FF profiles.

In my opinion, in order for 23&Me to advance in the genealogy market, they need to erect a 'Chinese wall' between Health and Genealogy with different sets of privacy rules on either side.

Leave a comment:

• djknox
    replied
    Originally posted by tomcat View Post
    Guess I missed something. Other than your desires what are the reasons that FTDNA and Ancestry SHOULD combine that would be of benefit to both the combined companies and to the person with the purse facilitating such a merger?
    SURVIVAL. Once the cat's out of the bag on the serious limitations current genetics has to helping mainstream genealogy, only through the pooling of research efforts and the sharing of market access via a common database will sufficient advances sustain growth. The current "dna" products are woefully weak to sustain the business otherwise. Ancestry.com will survive because genealogy is becoming of great interest to many as a hobby... and they have the entire globe to expand into. But familytreedna is limited to GENETIC GENEALOGY... and once the tires are kicked, there ain't much genealogy... leaving non medical genetics as the only appeal (and good luck with THAT commercial model).

Ah well, then again, people who bought iPhone 4 do go out and buy iPhone 5... so provided genetic genealogy appeals to the same incomprehensible part of the human brain that motivates the i4 to i5 expenditure... familytreedna will do ok. Otherwise - MERGE.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Originally posted by djknox View Post
    ... Anyway, it would not surprise me to see these companies merge due to reasons already cited.
    Guess I missed something. Other than your desires what are the reasons that FTDNA and Ancestry SHOULD combine that would be of benefit to both the combined companies and to the person with the purse facilitating such a merger?
    Last edited by tomcat; 28 October 2012, 11:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• djknox
    replied
    Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    Well, you did write that "Everyone sells out given the opportunity." (my bolding again) That certainly seems to indicate that you think that ultimately no one is immune to what you call greed.

I can assure you that I am human, born here on our planet. At least my birth certificate says so. But I don't think that, while cynicism is one way that humans think, it's the best way to look at humanity. It lowers expectations and generally gives you what it tells you to expect - not much that does good.
    OK splitting hairs... not 100% "EVERYONE" but "stastically relevant EVERYONE". As this site does deal with anthropolgy at times, you would be well served to recognize that all life, and especially humans as a species, have always acted in a self-serving way even in the light of overwhelming moral questionability. If it were not so, the Chinese wouldn't be forcing Tigers and Sharks into extinction, the Japanese and Norwegians wouldn't be hunting whales to the brink, Americans wouldn't have slaughtered their fellow man in pursuit of acquiring lands further and further west, and Syrians wouldn't be slaughtering each other today over the pursuit of power.

Sure, call this not greed... and by all means... "always look on the bright side of life, whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle...."

Anyway, it would not surprise me to see these companies merge due to reasons already cited.

Leave a comment:

• djknox
    replied
    Originally posted by gtc View Post
    Exactly, and as I said earlier every businesses is for sale at the right price. However, I don't characterize that as "greed" to use your term, which the dictionary defines as:

noun: excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs or deserves

noun: reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins)

The founder-owners of FTDNA, both of whom have MBA's, are experienced businessmen. Bennett Greenspan operated a successful industrial photographic supplies business before his wife convinced him to get into genetic genealogy to advance his already keen genealogical interests.

Fair enough if you wish to coin the term "greed" as too strong... but I find it curious how actions that are otherwise considered suspect are always considered acceptable in the realm of capitalism. I did also use the expression "looking out for no 1"... which is maybe a little different from greed. But I think we digress as it was never my intent to question the character of the owners of this company... just state reality that money talks...except for Gandhi lol.

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied

Personally, I think you are mixing different things here - I never said that humans cannot exhibit integrity, or a calling beyond their personal interests. I did say that when it comes to business, people cash out - it doesn't make them bad people... but I will agree with you that it doesn't make them Gandhi either! If you don't think humans are extremely self serving in their actions, agendas etc... you MUST be living on a different planet than Earth! And if you are an alien, could you not help us out a little with this autosomal dna technology lol! It would be nice to extract some ancestry from it!
    Well, you did write that "Everyone sells out given the opportunity." (my bolding again) That certainly seems to indicate that you think that ultimately no one is immune to what you call greed.

I can assure you that I am human, born here on our planet. At least my birth certificate says so. But I don't think that, while cynicism is one way that humans think, it's the best way to look at humanity. It lowers expectations and generally gives you what it tells you to expect - not much that does good.

Leave a comment:

• djknox
    replied
    Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    "Everyone sells out given the opportunity." (my bolding above) Hmm... according to your definition of humanity, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Gandhi were inhuman or, perhaps, unhuman. It certainly doesn't seem that being jailed unjustly or beaten for your principles is "looking out for No. 1." Also, Franklin, Washington and Jefferson were fairly prosperous businessmen or planters. How were they "looking out for No. 1" by fighting for liberty from a mighty Empire and having a price put on their head?

Human progress is usually made by those who aren't "looking out for No. 1," but who stand up for principles that are for the benefit of everyone. That's the end of my sermon for today.
    Granted there are always a few exceptions... and Gandhi was an inspirational one.... as is Aung Sang Suu Kyi today - but in business there are very very few. Franklin liked status and money to afford his frequent brothel excursions; Washington was likely on a military ego trip (its been proven through digital reconstruction of his skull that his commissioned portraits were heavily adjusted to display more masculine features than he actually had), and Jefferson was looking out for protecting his own business interests... of which we won't get into here. Not to say that they were not all instrumental players... but they all had personal agendas that were served. The mark of a great man isn't that he soley puts the common good ahead of his own interests... but rather he doesn't let his own interests adversly affect the common good.

Personally, I think you are mixing different things here - I never said that humans cannot exhibit integrity, or a calling beyond their personal interests. I did say that when it comes to business, people cash out - it doesn't make them bad people... but I will agree with you that it doesn't make them Gandhi either! If you don't think humans are extremely self serving in their actions, agendas etc... you MUST be living on a different planet than Earth! And if you are an alien, could you not help us out a little with this autosomal dna technology lol! It would be nice to extract some ancestry from it!

Leave a comment:

• gtc
    replied
    I asked what their ultimate objective was. The answer was to grow the business until they could take the company public or sell it. The logic being that they put enough effort into it to deserve a cash out and early retirement. It is the nature of the beast.
    Exactly, and as I said earlier every businesses is for sale at the right price. However, I don't characterize that as "greed" to use your term, which the dictionary defines as:

noun: excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs or deserves

noun: reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins)

The founder-owners of FTDNA, both of whom have MBA's, are experienced businessmen. Bennett Greenspan operated a successful industrial photographic supplies business before his wife convinced him to get into genetic genealogy to advance his already keen genealogical interests.

Leave a comment:

• djknox
    replied
    Originally posted by gtc View Post
    I don't know who you have in mind when you say that, but I'd certainly not attribute either of those characteristics to the founder-owners of FTDNA. Far from it!
    It was not an assessment of a man I don't even know. I have know many friends who started their own businesses. Some became quite successful... often due to personal vision and ownership of the business direction. I also know when given a chance, they ultimately can't resist cashing out... finding some logical explanation as to why it was for the best.

The point I was making is that it is exactly the personality of those who can be successful in their own business ventures to cash out... often citing that it was the best. As I type I had a couple over for dinner earlier who run a successful "management assessment and training" business. I asked what their ultimate objective was. The answer was to grow the business until they could take the company public or sell it. The logic being that they put enough effort into it to deserve a cash out and early retirement. It is the nature of the beast.

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
    Looking on the bright side, Ancestry's press release about the acquisition seems to imply that they will be adding more original content from additional geographic areas. That could be A Good Thing. The DNA program is also explicitly mentioned.

"Ancestry.com and Permira indicated that the company will continue executing on its growth strategy and initiatives led by content acquisition and technology investment, with the support of the Permira funds and the investor group. There are no anticipated changes in Ancestry.com's operating structure. Ancestry.com's focus will continue to be on investing in content, technology and its user experience, expanding its product offerings in areas like DNA, and building the Ancestry.com brand and the family history category, all on a global basis. Ancestry.com will remain headquartered in Provo, Utah, with a continued large presence in San Francisco, Dublin, London and other international markets."

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stockmark...20121022-00111
    Good thanks for the info one of the interesting things about doing DNA testing is finding matches from around the world. I found a match that seem to be from Turkey at Ancestry yesterday, WOW! Never expected that.

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    Greed and "looking out for No. 1" is one of the basest of human attributes. Everyone sells out given the opportunity. I would just like to see advances being made through the pooling of resources... but certainly healthy marketplace competition is also good for us all...
    "Everyone sells out given the opportunity." (my bolding above) Hmm... according to your definition of humanity, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Gandhi were inhuman or, perhaps, unhuman. It certainly doesn't seem that being jailed unjustly or beaten for your principles is "looking out for No. 1." Also, Franklin, Washington and Jefferson were fairly prosperous businessmen or planters. How were they "looking out for No. 1" by fighting for liberty from a mighty Empire and having a price put on their head?

Human progress is usually made by those who aren't "looking out for No. 1," but who stand up for principles that are for the benefit of everyone. That's the end of my sermon for today.

Leave a comment:

• Ann Turner
    replied
    Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
    No I think they buy a sure thing so they can make money and let others manage the business if they are smart. Like I said Ancestry just hit 2 million subscription so its a strong company who will make money for the investors. Can something come along and mess it up sure just look at NetFlix. But does anyone have prof thats happening with Ancestry yet, no. We will see in six months.
    Looking on the bright side, Ancestry's press release about the acquisition seems to imply that they will be adding more original content from additional geographic areas. That could be A Good Thing. The DNA program is also explicitly mentioned.

"Ancestry.com and Permira indicated that the company will continue executing on its growth strategy and initiatives led by content acquisition and technology investment, with the support of the Permira funds and the investor group. There are no anticipated changes in Ancestry.com's operating structure. Ancestry.com's focus will continue to be on investing in content, technology and its user experience, expanding its product offerings in areas like DNA, and building the Ancestry.com brand and the family history category, all on a global basis. Ancestry.com will remain headquartered in Provo, Utah, with a continued large presence in San Francisco, Dublin, London and other international markets."

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stockmark...20121022-00111

Leave a comment:

• gtc
    replied
    Greed and "looking out for No. 1" is one of the basest of human attributes.
    I don't know who you have in mind when you say that, but I'd certainly not attribute either of those characteristics to the founder-owners of FTDNA. Far from it!

Leave a comment:

• djknox
    replied
    Greed and "looking out for No. 1" is one of the basest of human attributes. Everyone sells out given the opportunity. I would just like to see advances being made through the pooling of resources... but certainly healthy marketplace competition is also good for us all...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X