My population finder results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My population finder results

Hello; I have a couple of questions concerning mine and my sister's population finder results. My population finder graph shows Iam 87.03 western european this is no surprise given my French , Scottish and Irish heratige, Also Iam 12.97 middle eastern with 0 % +or - while my sister's population finder has her at 85.15%european +or-2.41. middle eastern 9.86 +or- 2.42 and african 4.99 % +or - 1.10 why the differance considering we are full siblings shareing more than 2400cm's which leads me to my next question what exatly is a cm . I hope someone can clear this up Thank You ..

Full siblings share, on average, 50% of their genomes. That means the possible range is from 0% to 100%. You and your sister's degree of sharing is in the average range and that leaves ample room for differences that can skew your Population Finder outcomes in divergent directions.

It is not unusual for pedigreed northern Europeans to evidence a modest Middle East component. You will find many references to that effect in this forum as well as plenty of complaints about Population Finder.

A cM or centiMorgan is a measure of segment length that takes into account recombination potential within a given segment. On a genome-wide basis a cM or centiMorgan is equal to a mb or a million base pairs but segments vary in their recombinant potential, so a cM-measured segment could be smaller than its mb equivalent if it has high recombinant potential or larger than its mb equivalent if it has lower recombinant potential.

Comment

My population finder results

Hi; Thank you for the prompt reply, one more question , I am from a large Family I have 3 brothers and 5 sisters all from the same parents , would I share more genes in common with my brothers or my sisters or does it matter ?

Comment

Originally posted by rob60 View Post
        Hi; Thank you for the prompt reply, one more question , I am from a large Family I have 3 brothers and 5 sisters all from the same parents , would I share more genes in common with my brothers or my sisters or does it matter ?
        Your autosomes have a random distribution pattern. Which is to say, you could be slightly more genetically related to your sisters than your brothers, or equally, or less. The important thing in determining relatedness is the range of shared DNA rather than the precise amount of DNA.

Because of the fact that every child inherits a slightly different mix from their parents, each of your sibling will probably have a slightly different Population Finder, though you will probably all show generally similar scores, in your case mainly West Euro with some significant but lesser Middle East/African.

You might want to read through here:

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/ans...x?faqid=17#601

Comment

Originally posted by rob60 View Post
          If your parents are deceased or otherwise unavailable to be tested your siblings are your best bet to reconstitute parental genomes. Under such conditions one would hope for the most divergent results across all siblings.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
            It is not unusual for pedigreed northern Europeans to evidence a modest Middle East component. You will find many references to that effect in this forum as well as plenty of complaints about Population Finder.
            True, but most if not all British Isles people have questioned their ~4% Middle Eastern, not in the 12% range, and I don't recall a lot of those same folks questioning African ancestry.

Rob60, if you haven't already done so, I suggest that you upload your and your sister's results to Gedmatch and see what the different admixture programs tell you. www.gedmatch.com You won't be able to check for genetic cousins for about 24 hours, but the admixture tools will be available for immediate use.

Comment

Working...
            X