Y-DNA Genetic Distance of 3, 20 of 25 Match, Different Surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA Genetic Distance of 3, 20 of 25 Match, Different Surname

Looking for a little clarity in understanding this situation. I have a person who matches my and another person with my surname's, Y-DNA on 20 of 25 markers. This person comes up as a three mutation match in Y-DNA.ORG's search engine. Is this an instance where we are definitely related, non related or what? Can someone clarify this please?

I may not fully understand your question. When you say you are a three mutation match, do you really mean you mismatch on three markers (making you both a 22/25 match? If so I would then assume you both match 22 out of 25 markers with a genetic distance of 5. That is, on two markers you have differ by 2 and on one marker you differ by 1.

When you say Y-DNA.ORG, do you really mean www.ysearch.org?

Assuming you both (all) are a 22/25 match with a genetic distance of 5, and have the same surname, there is an excellent chance you share a direct paternal-line ancestor since the introduction of surnames. If you have different surnames, (and also if you have a common haplotype) it is less certain if your shared direct paternal-line ancestor lived since the introduction of surnames.

Sincerely, Peter

Peter J. Roberts
    DNA Pin-Back Buttons

The Bahamas DNA Project

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for a little clarity in understanding this situation. I have a person who matches my and another person with my surname's, Y-DNA on 20 of 25 markers. This person comes up as a three mutation match in Y-DNA.ORG's search engine. Is this an instance where we are definitely related, non related or what? Can someone clarify this please?

Comment

Originally posted by ndn56

definatly yeah but when where. do the three of you have paperwork of your tree.have you shared it with the others ?
      there should be a ftdna symbol to click it should say 1-600 years and the odds
      just remember the 0-100 are just as likely to have a match as the 600
      my son is 14 at 100 and 98. at 600
      well he is less then a hundred he is 21 yrs.
      genetics needs paperwork and vice versa

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying, life has been a little busy lately. However, in response to Peterebay. Yes, I did mean y-search.org. I reran the results just to make sure I had the facts as they were presented within y-search.org's interface. There is a 20 of 25 marker match with my results with the person of a different surname. Genetic distance according to them is 3 (three), as stated previously. Surnames are different, but according to the family histories of both lines we were in the same geographic area (Bristol, England) at the same periods of time, and then likewise, later in Virginia. This holds true for the other person of my surname who matches me as well. That person and I have concrete papertrail to the same ancestor (of our surname) in the early 1600's in Virginia. So, what do you think?

Comment

Working...
        X