X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yaffa
    replied
    Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
    First I apologize for not reading the question more carefully . Must have been one of those late night responses . Fortunately more astute readers gave good answers.

I just wanted to add that a person trying to establish NA ancestry and Tribe acceptance are two different concepts. Tribes , as well as the USA government, will not accept DNA testing as entrance to any tribe. The government argues that NA tribes are based on culture and tradition. It is consequently possible to have a NA haplogroup and not be accepted into any tribe . Conversely it is possible to be a tribe member without any trace of NA DNA.
    Yes they two different things but autosomal is not acceptable since its reads different with every company and in general autosomal can not prove a specific ancestor on %. Second they dont have many AI samples because of cultural and gov issues, many tribes will not give up their DNA. I know tribes that do require paternity tests for enrollment if a person needs to enroll with a tribe through a father line. Some may accept Y DNA if a father is deceased for a paternity test but cant say for sure. I know tribes out there that do accept that Y and MT DNA haplogroups are accurate but it still does not prove tribe and will not entitle someone to enroll with a tribe. You must have paper.

Most tribes should have a trace of AI DNA except those tribes who have a low blood % for enrollment or have no blood % requirements for enrollment. Like the 5 civilized tribes. Your ancestor must be on the Dawes and accepted as a tribal member with no % required. If your ancestor was accepted on the dawes than all descendants from that ancestor on the Dawes are enrolled tribal members.

Leave a comment:

• Brunetmj
    replied
    First I apologize for not reading the question more carefully . Must have been one of those late night responses . Fortunately more astute readers gave good answers.

I know of no tribe that will accept blood % tests as being accurate
    I just wanted to add that a person trying to establish NA ancestry and Tribe acceptance are two different concepts. Tribes , as well as the USA government, will not accept DNA testing as entrance to any tribe. The government argues that NA tribes are based on culture and tradition. It is consequently possible to have a NA haplogroup and not be accepted into any tribe . Conversely it is possible to be a tribe member without any trace of NA DNA.

Leave a comment:

• Yaffa
    replied
    Paz

What surnames are you researching and what location? This might help if someone knows what family you are researching.

Leave a comment:

• Yaffa
    replied
    Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
    I found a year or so ago two Grandmothers described as being Indian or part Indian in the 9th generation. One on each side of my tree I have not done much research about this two it was just a sneak peek ahead. My grandmother had told others in the family about Cherokee Ancestry but I could not find any clue of it and always thought it was my fathers line which is one of the two others possible NA finds. But it turned out it was her line her Grandmother who was one of my Brick Walls. I only figured it out after a FF match came along with the information I needed. Neither of us have any sign of NA ancestry with the test. But Gedmatch turns up for me East Asian, Native South American, Native North American, Indian and some other descriptions of NA ancestry. So when you get a chance and if the others don't turn up anything try Gedmatch.
    Edward just because gedmatch is reading you as Asian is not proof of an AI ancestor. In general % tests have to be consistent and read your DNA the same no matter what company you test with. Not saying you don't have an AI ancestor but you need paper to back it up. I know of no tribe that will accept blood % tests as being accurate. Having paper and Y or MT-DNA to back the paper up is something else. Y and MT DNA can stand along as proving you do have an AI ancestor without paper but won't prove tribe.

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    I found a year or so ago two Grandmothers described as being Indian or part Indian in the 9th generation. One on each side of my tree I have not done much research about this two it was just a sneak peek ahead. My grandmother had told others in the family about Cherokee Ancestry but I could not find any clue of it and always thought it was my fathers line which is one of the two others possible NA finds. But it turned out it was her line her Grandmother who was one of my Brick Walls. I only figured it out after a FF match came along with the information I needed. Neither of us have any sign of NA ancestry with the test. But Gedmatch turns up for me East Asian, Native South American, Native North American, Indian and some other descriptions of NA ancestry. So when you get a chance and if the others don't turn up anything try Gedmatch.

Leave a comment:

• Yaffa
    replied
    [QUOTE=tomcat;348828][QUOTE=patz;348787] ... what tribe it could be?

Your only hope of finding out tribal affiliation, at present, is via a match to another Family Finder user with a paper connection to a tribe on one or more segments identified as American Indian.
    Family Finder wont help as far as Tribe goes. The OP has to find a paper trail to a direct line ancestor. I have inter tribal in my family and my family finder matches cant prove who is what because the autosomal can go to any line ancestor. All matches on family finder have to have paper trail on both ends leading to same ancestor line. Y and MT-DNA is at least one direct line ancestor but still cant prove tribe with out paper even if you have a match to a tribal member with MT-DNA FGS. Y-DNA may be able to prove tribe if someone matched a tribal member who has tested their male line and is AI. They would have to be a very close 111 marker.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    [QUOTE=patz;348787] ... what tribe it could be?[QUOTE]

Your only hope of finding out tribal affiliation, at present, is via a match to another Family Finder user with a paper connection to a tribe on one or more segments identified as American Indian.

Leave a comment:

• aeduna
    replied
    Originally posted by patz View Post
    mtDNA test taken by my aunt because of the direct line to gg grandmother. but no Indian found. Believe the Indian line was male, my gggrandmother was half because of this on her fathers line. Any test to tell if this could be true, the % I might have and (really pushing it!!) what tribe it could be? Do have her picture and she definitely looks Indian, as does her daughter, my ggrandmother.
    Any chance of getting older relatives to test via family finder? You'd have more luck then. If not, your aunt might be sufficient, but it is a bit of a gamble.

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
    I would suggest sending your DNA results to Dr McDonald. I think he has a good database to look for NA ancestry. You just write a brief description of your ancestry and address an email to him, attached your DNA results (after downloading it from here) and send it to him. He does this free of charge. I do not have his email address handy but if you do a search here you should be able to find it easily enough.
    The original poster wrote that his/her aunt had the mtDNA test, not Family Finder test. Your advice about McDonald is good, but it only applies if the aunt has had the Family Finder test.

Leave a comment:

• Brunetmj
    replied
    I would suggest sending your DNA results to Dr McDonald. I think he has a good database to look for NA ancestry. You just write a brief description of your ancestry and address an email to him, attached your DNA results (after downloading it from here) and send it to him. He does this free of charge. I do not have his email address handy but if you do a search here you should be able to find it easily enough.

Leave a comment:

• patz
    Guest started a topic percent of Indian blood?

percent of Indian blood?

mtDNA test taken by my aunt because of the direct line to gg grandmother. but no Indian found. Believe the Indian line was male, my gggrandmother was half because of this on her fathers line. Any test to tell if this could be true, the % I might have and (really pushing it!!) what tribe it could be? Do have her picture and she definitely looks Indian, as does her daughter, my ggrandmother.
Working...
X