Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

percent of Indian blood?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by thormalen View Post
    Hi....It is my experience that many Native Americans in the southwest and Mexico have Spanish names.
    I think my Spanish surname matches are distant cousin matches possibly with a NA connection but anything is possible. For me its just another sign that the NA rumor in the family is true and the paper trail is starting to fall into place. I have heard 90 something percent of Mexican's have NA ancestry and that might be why I'm matching people who look like they are Mexican's.

    I just don't want to waste time looking for the connection with them when I'm still working on proving my connection to the three grandmothers with the NA connection. They all three seem to have connection to three tribes in the east Cherokee, Nanticoke, and I think Catawba. Only Cherokee have a western connection after 1830 removal from the east but I don't think they have used Spanish surnames but I could be wrong.

    OOOPS! I just looked up Catawba and they were moved west to.
    Last edited by EdwardRHill; 17 October 2012, 08:34 PM.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
      I think my Spanish surname matches are distant cousin matches possibly with a NA connection but anything is possible. For me its just another sign that the NA rumor in the family is true and the paper trail is starting to fall into place. I have heard 90 something percent of Mexican's have NA ancestry and that might be why I'm matching people who look like they are Mexican's.

      I just don't want to waste time looking for the connection with them when I'm still working on proving my connection to the three grandmothers with the NA connection. They all three seem to have connection to three tribes in the east Cherokee, Nanticoke, and I think Catawba. Only Cherokee have a western connection after 1830 removal from the east but I don't think they have used Spanish surnames but I could be wrong.

      OOOPS! I just looked up Catawba and they were moved west to.
      Some Cherokee ran into Mexico. Don't know if they found records stating Cherokee tribe with the priests baptizing them. If they got grabbed by the priests they would have been given Spanish names.

      The Catawba are in York SC toady. The were in Western NC bordering the Cherokee at a moment in time. They claim the Catawba/Cherokee treaty happened in Caldwell County, NC in the 1700's. Being that the 2 tribes bordered each other there maybe inter-tribal marriages.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
        Some Cherokee ran into Mexico. Don't know if they found records stating Cherokee tribe with the priests baptizing them. If they got grabbed by the priests they would have been given Spanish names.

        The Catawba are in York SC toady. The were in Western NC bordering the Cherokee at a moment in time. They claim the Catawba/Cherokee treaty happened in Caldwell County, NC in the 1700's. Being that the 2 tribes bordered each other there maybe inter-tribal marriages.
        Interesting, I been annoyed that out of all my close matches I only have one who has a Common Ancestor found. So I started looking at them again going down the list looking at common surnames and tree's. I found one with a connection to the line with the NA connection I mention earlier. But with this match I share the Grandfather of the man who was moved west. The grandfather was a white man. HMMMMM!!! VERY INTERESTING!!!

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
          Interesting, I been annoyed that out of all my close matches I only have one who has a Common Ancestor found. So I started looking at them again going down the list looking at common surnames and tree's. I found one with a connection to the line with the NA connection I mention earlier. But with this match I share the Grandfather of the man who was moved west. The grandfather was a white man. HMMMMM!!! VERY INTERESTING!!!
          I tested positive for NA DNA, and it can only come from my FC ancestry which we all know was whispered about in our families since we were small. That is why cousins only married cousins, trying to escape NA. To no avail. But the point I wish to make is that appearance will not tell you who or who does not have NA DNA. I have a small NA percentage and have red hair and green eyes. But high cheek bones and some dental anomalies typical of NA. And I can go back and look at pictures of my grandfather's people, some look French, others look NA. I estimate that my grandfather was about 30% NA, but looked totally French. Other close relatives looked NA.

          Comment


          • #35
            My great grandmother was a Cherokee Rogers. Her family left the CNE in 1821 and moved to what became Oklahoma long before the Trail of Tears. They were established ranchers when the rest of the Cherokee were forced to make the move. She married along the way and followed her husband into Texas. We are everywhere. Ha. I grew up on the Mexican border. I have found cousins through family finder from several tribes including a 3rd cousin that is Wicocomico. I had to look that one up.
            Last edited by thormalen; 19 October 2012, 05:55 PM.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by thormalen View Post
              My great grandmother was a Cherokee Rogers. Her family left the CNE in 1821 and moved to what became Oklahoma long before the Trail of Tears. They were established ranchers when the rest of the Cherokee were forced to make the move. She married along the way and followed her husband into Texas. We are everywhere. Ha. I grew up on the Mexican border. I have found cousins through family finder from several tribes including a 3rd cousin that is Wicocomico. I had to look that one up.
              I have family finder matches to TX and Cali. The Cali ones I know were on the trail of tears and were the neighbors of my family in NC that never moved. They contacted me but I have not spoken to my Texas matches. None have same surnames as we do but we have many NPE as I suspect they do to. Especially since the Cherokee were mother clan and may have given children mother's surname instead of father's. The Catawba told me they might have given mother's surname instead of fathers even though they weren't mother clan. We lived on the border of the Cherokee and Catawba/Saponi. I have met a few tribal members that can trace their family back to where my family was in general. I also have a few matches in our area listed as close cousin and we still cant find a surname match. Im ready to give up.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
                I have family finder matches to TX and Cali. The Cali ones I know were on the trail of tears and were the neighbors of my family in NC that never moved. They contacted me but I have not spoken to my Texas matches. None have same surnames as we do but we have many NPE as I suspect they do to. Especially since the Cherokee were mother clan and may have given children mother's surname instead of father's. The Catawba told me they might have given mother's surname instead of fathers even though they weren't mother clan. We lived on the border of the Cherokee and Catawba/Saponi. I have met a few tribal members that can trace their family back to where my family was in general. I also have a few matches in our area listed as close cousin and we still cant find a surname match. Im ready to give up.
                Well I am adopted so my surname means nothing. My people trace their Cherokee roots to the Sonicooie family. They were members of the Blind Savannah Clan but had also been at one time called the Bear Clan.. When they moved to the Ok country they had been living in a place called Big Tallapoosa. It was in NW Ga.
                When growing up in south Texas I had many friends that said they were Mexican but when questioned about it admitted that were of one NA tribe or the other. Many NA peoples were pushed into the border country or into the mountains of northern Mexico.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by thormalen View Post
                  Well I am adopted so my surname means nothing. My people trace their Cherokee roots to the Sonicooie family. They were members of the Blind Savannah Clan but had also been at one time called the Bear Clan.. When they moved to the Ok country they had been living in a place called Big Tallapoosa. It was in NW Ga.
                  When growing up in south Texas I had many friends that said they were Mexican but when questioned about it admitted that were of one NA tribe or the other. Many NA peoples were pushed into the border country or into the mountains of northern Mexico.
                  I have TX/Mex Indian lines too but my TX matches are not Spanish names. I also have a few Tex/Mex Spanish names. Some of my Mex family was in Mex prior to the trail. Those are probably of a Mex tribe or a SW US tribe. They claimed Mex as a race because AI were not permitted to be citizens of the US until 1924. TX was brutal to the tribes. It was safer for them to claim Mex and our government would give them immigration and citizenship if they claimed Mex.

                  These American Tex lines Im matching are either related to my mother's NC family. Cousins that left the area or my father's mother's side from GA/Arkansas Territory. Per DNA matches they were from NC too and from the area my mother's family was from but I cant trace this side. This side claimed they were on the trail but I have only 2 federal census. Records go dead. I have no death records but DNA does state this line is Indian. I Only have 4 surnames on this line so it's not much help

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Julie Ann View Post
                    I tested positive for NA DNA, and it can only come from my FC ancestry which we all know was whispered about in our families since we were small. That is why cousins only married cousins, trying to escape NA. To no avail. But the point I wish to make is that appearance will not tell you who or who does not have NA DNA. I have a small NA percentage and have red hair and green eyes. But high cheek bones and some dental anomalies typical of NA. And I can go back and look at pictures of my grandfather's people, some look French, others look NA. I estimate that my grandfather was about 30% NA, but looked totally French. Other close relatives looked NA.
                    When I'm asked I always told people what my heritage was. Even the Cherokee part even when I felt uncomfortable because I felt like I was just another saying I was part Cherokee. It was not a lot of times when I was asked about my heritage but I told those who asked what I was told and sometimes got laugh at. I might not have NA DNA showing up but i do have FF matches proving my connection to the folks in my tree and that makes me very happy.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
                      When I'm asked I always told people what my heritage was. Even the Cherokee part even when I felt uncomfortable because I felt like I was just another saying I was part Cherokee. It was not a lot of times when I was asked about my heritage but I told those who asked what I was told and sometimes got laugh at. I might not have NA DNA showing up but i do have FF matches proving my connection to the folks in my tree and that makes me very happy.
                      Me too Edward! I did not have a clue for 46 years about my ancestors and it makes me feel good to know something about them. I am just as proud of my Scottish Border Reiver Grahams as I am of my Cherokee Sonicooie/Rogers people.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by thormalen View Post
                        Me too Edward! I did not have a clue for 46 years about my ancestors and it makes me feel good to know something about them. I am just as proud of my Scottish Border Reiver Grahams as I am of my Cherokee Sonicooie/Rogers people.
                        Yep it is all interesting.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X