New and Confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    You have a very good match. A 66/67 match indicates a very recent common paternal line ancestor, probably within the last 200-300 years and possibly within 100 years or less.

We didn't test for 67 -- we only tested for 37. The other fella did test for 67, he's the one with the 1 step to us. I don't know if it makes a difference here that he tested for 67 and we didn't?

Comment

Originally posted by BarbP View Post
      We didn't test for 67 -- we only tested for 37. The other fella did test for 67, he's the one with the 1 step to us. I don't know if it makes a difference here that he tested for 67 and we didn't?
      From the way that you wrote it in your post that I responded to, it seemed as if you were saying that both of you had tested 67 markers. I misunderstood.

You should upgrade to 67 markers and see what the genetic distance is between you and the match who already has 67 markers. And also, try to convince the two matches at 37 markers to upgrade to 67 markers. If all four of you have 67 markers, you may be able to determine which of these matches is closest to you by looking at on which markers you differ with each.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
        From the way that you wrote it in your post that I responded to, it seemed as if you were saying that both of you had tested 67 markers. I misunderstood.

You should upgrade to 67 markers and see what the genetic distance is between you and the match who already has 67 markers. And also, try to convince the two matches at 37 markers to upgrade to 67 markers. If all four of you have 67 markers, you may be able to determine which of these matches is closest to you by looking at on which markers you differ with each.
        Okay, sounds like a plan! Will look into this and thanks very much!

Comment

Upgrade Y-DNA analysis to more markers

Barb, you would be wise to upgrade your Y-DNA analysis to at least 67 markers. Your matches at that level will tell you a great deal and provide a much clearer picture for you of your dad's ancestry. You will likely find some matches from the 12 marker and 25 marker analyses falling away once you've expanded your test. The more markers, the better.

Comment

Working...
          X