X-STR & Autosomal STR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-STR & Autosomal STR

Could someone explain the benefits of these tests? I haven't had any luck with genealogy DNA testing yet. AncestryDNA has been a bust. I have less than 40 matches from Family Finder in 19 months. Only one person has two common surnames with me but we cannot connect our ancestors yet.

Originally posted by veramiller View Post
    Could someone explain the benefits of these tests? I haven't had any luck with genealogy DNA testing yet. AncestryDNA has been a bust. I have less than 40 matches from Family Finder in 19 months. Only one person has two common surnames with me but we cannot connect our ancestors yet.
    An X-DNA test is part of the Autosomal DNA test. At least, this is the case with FT-DNA Family Finder and with the 23andMe DNA test. This test sees you entire genetic ancestry going back at least five generations. Autosomal DNA matches give some indication of when your Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) lived. In the case of a man, a match on his X-chromosome indicates that the relationship is on his maternal side. In the case of a woman, a match on her X-chromosome is just another autosomal DNA match.

The FT-DNA Chromosome Browser and the 23andMe Family Inheritance browser do not include the X-chromosome. I am not sure that I understand why they made this choice. Of 616 matches on 23andMe, fewer than five of them are X-DNA matches. I have 66 FT-DNA Family Finder matches, but I have no idea how many X-DNA matches I have there. I also have about 600 AncestryDNA matches. AncestryDNA does not have a Chromosome Browser/Family Inheritance-type browser.

Your lack of matches is simply due to the fact that few if any people who are related to you have taken DNA tests. This is frustrating, to be sure. Overall, it is my understanding that FT-DNA has the largest database of tested genomes. In my case, however, it does not have the most matches. 23andMe has nearly 10 times as many matches.

You may download your raw data, both Autosomal and X-DNA, from Family Finder and upload it to GEDmatch.com. There, you may find that your genome matches the genomes of people who tested with 23andMe or other DNA testing services. GEDmatch.com is free.

Comment

Vera: The X-STR test and autosomal STR test are most useful for proving or disproving close relationships (e.g. parent/child) where both parties test. There is no FTDNA database for either, so I can't see that they will be of any use now. If you do have the money to spare you will get more mileage testing a cousin with Family Finder.

Comment

Working...
      X