Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darren View Post
    Hello all,

Just wanted to let you know that this is a very small list and those chosen will receive an email from Family Tree DNA. Chances are if you do not have at least a WTY and mtDNA Full Sequence test, you will not be on the list.

-Darren Marin
    Family Tree DNA
    I've done WTY and my mtDNA full sequence created a new sub-group. I guess if I don't qualify for a free test, it's probably not worth my money to purchase one. I'm canceling the one I ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by aidan View Post
      Myself and my father had our mutations added to the latest Phylotree Build and neither of us were selected.
      Same here.

Comment

I am also considering cancelling my order!

I didn't do the WTY, but a 'close' U152* did and no new SNPs were found.

Originally posted by rod View Post
        I've done WTY and my mtDNA full sequence created a new sub-group. I guess if I don't qualify for a free test, it's probably not worth my money to purchase one. I'm canceling the one I ordered.
        Last edited by Solothurn; 27 September 2012, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rod View Post
          I decided to wait it out until I know more about exactly what's on the chip and also to learn from the experiences of "U106 Land" pioneer Geno 2 testers.

I've already tested to a long way down the U106 branch of the current ISOGG tree so I'm not in a screaming hurry to test again until I feel that it's definitely worth the investment, and that will probably be at the individual SNP level rather than a complete Geno 2 run.

Comment

Originally posted by Solothurn View Post
            Sorry you didn't get selected. Lets hope your $$$ becomes SNP!
            I sure hope so

Comment

I ordered one a couple of days ago. I don't care one way or another if I'm on the free list (I wasn't expecting to be anyway). My terminal Y-SNP is somewhat of an enigma at the moment, so I'm hoping my results will shed some light on my branch of N1c1.

Comment

I don't understand. Why would you cancel your order????

Comment

I have cancelled my order as I have tested to the max at FTDNA on all SNPs. If there are new SNPs for U152* then I will re order, if not I see no point!

Comment

My national geographic kit shipped today. Now for the wait..

Comment

What would I learn by taking this test? I've already had FTDNA's FGS mitochondrial test and have tested my Y hp. up to 67. What else would I learn regarding biogeographical ancestry? I've had Family Finder, 23andMe.

Comment

Originally posted by JuanCarlos View Post
                        What would I learn by taking this test? I've already had FTDNA's FGS mitochondrial test and have tested my Y hp. up to 67. What else would I learn regarding biogeographical ancestry? I've had Family Finder, 23andMe.
                        We'll know more once we actually see some results, but according to what has been written by NGS and others, the test covers the following:

Y-DNA - Basically covers virtually all of the SNPs currently offered by FT-DNA plus many new SNPs discovered in a variety of samples. FT-DNA has already gone on record saying they will be discontinuing Deep-Clade testing as this SNP makes that type of testing obsolete.

mt-DNA -- It incorporates many (but not all) SNPs in the mitochondria DNA. It should refine your haplogroup better than other similar tests currently on the marker (such as 23andMe) but it will not replace the FMS (Full Mitochondrial Spectrum) offered by FT-DNA.

autosomal DNA - The kit tests numerous Ancestral Informative Markers (AIMs) which are supposed to be able to refine where your ancestry came from. It cannot be used to match cousins (such as the various tests offered by FT-DNA, 23andMe, and AncestryDNA) but it is supposed to do a much better job of "accurately" stating where your ancestry is from (especially as the NGS uses the new SNP to test various populations).

Comment

Originally posted by Wing_Genealogis View Post
                          Y-DNA - Basically covers virtually all of the SNPs currently offered by FT-DNA plus many new SNPs discovered in a variety of samples. FT-DNA has already gone on record saying they will be discontinuing Deep-Clade testing as this SNP makes that type of testing obsolete.
                          1) Of course women will get nothing from this part of the test and men will test negative for the majority of these SNPs.

2) I don't understand FTDNA's reasoning. The Deep-Clade is much cheaper than the Geno 2.0.

3) At this time we have no idea what we'll will be able to do with the information from the Geno 2.0. I believe FTDNA has indicated we will be able to import the results into FTDNA but then what?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                            2) I don't understand FTDNA's reasoning. The Deep-Clade is much cheaper than the Geno 2.0.
                            FTDNA's deep clade test is considered bad value by members of some smaller haplogroups and they have stopped using it.

In the bigger hgs, such as R1b, deep clade has been way out of date for years. For instance, with me it bottomed-out at L48 long ago yet I have tested to at least 6 levels deeper than L48 on an individual SNP test basis.

I get the feeling that FTDNA's intention to discontinue the deep clade test product may also flag its intention to get out of the haplotree management business, too, and leave all of that to National Genographic.

I guess we'll find out soon enough once Geno 2 gets into full swing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wing_Genealogis View Post
                              We'll know more once we actually see some results, but according to what has been written by NGS and others, the test covers the following:

mt-DNA -- It incorporates many (but not all) SNPs in the mitochondria DNA. It should refine your haplogroup better than other similar tests currently on the marker (such as 23andMe) but it will not replace the FMS (Full Mitochondrial Spectrum) offered by FT-DNA.

autosomal DNA - The kit tests numerous Ancestral Informative Markers (AIMs) which are supposed to be able to refine where your ancestry came from. It cannot be used to match cousins (such as the various tests offered by FT-DNA, 23andMe, and AncestryDNA) but it is supposed to do a much better job of "accurately" stating where your ancestry is from (especially as the NGS uses the new SNP to test various populations).
                              Thank you, Wing Genealogis. The ancestry part would be the most interesting aspect to me. We'll see. I have not made up my mind yet. I might order it or simply wait a while.

Comment

I get the feeling that FTDNA's intention to discontinue the deep clade test product may also flag its intention to get out of the haplotree management business, too, and leave all of that to National Genographic.
                                I sure hope not. They sell magazines and coffee mugs.
                                Have you ever taken a test from National Geographic? If FTDNA testing time is overnight express, National Geographic is a letter mailed to the US from London in 1776.

Comment

Working...
                                X