New Geno 2.0 chip test Ordered!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Geno 2.0 chip test Ordered!

I am a U152*. I have now pre-ordered the new Geno 2.0 test at $199. I am hoping to have a newly discovered SNP!

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/about/

Roberta Estes' blog
    http://dna-explained.com/category/genographic-project/

Has anybody else ordered it or considering ordering it?

Thanks

Yes I have ordered it about 3 weeks ago. Apparently it doesn't ship until mid October

Comment

Originally posted by briancowings View Post
      Has anybody else ordered it or considering ordering it?

Thanks
      Going to suggest it makes an excellent christmas present to contribute to when people ask what to get me So early next year, probably.....

Comment

I ordered the test. Can't wait to see the results.

Does anyone know when those whose mtDNA data were used in the project will find out if they have free kits?

Comment

I got this reply, but don't know the exact date they will inform.

"These participants will be receiving a letter in the coming weeks."

I asked Clint at [email protected] and he informed me I was not on the 'chosen' list. You could always ask him if you are on the list!

Originally posted by aidan View Post

Does anyone know when those whose mtDNA data were used in the project will find out if they have free kits?

Comment

I asked Clint at [email protected] and he informed me I was not on the 'chosen' list. You could always ask him if you are on the list!
            Thanks Brian. I've sent them an email.

Comment

Does anyone know if FTDNA will be offering special pricing for members?
              Or if they will allow you to use stored DNA?
              Or do you think it is better to order direct from NatGeo?

I will definitely do this test, just wondering if I should wait and see what FTDNA offers.

Comment

Although the FTDNA labs will be involved with the analyses, this is a test from a separate organization. I don't believe there are any plans in the near future for FTDNA to offer this test, although at some time in the future this test will probably replace yDNA deep clade testing at FTDNA; I don't think anyone knows now what the pricing will look like then. As far as samples go, NatGeo is in complete control of that at this time, and they want new ones. So yes, if you want this test in the near future, you should order from NatGeo.

Comment

I just spoke to FTDNA on this issue. They told me Bennett at the moment is the only one who knows who is on the list and been chosen for a free Nat Geo kit. If you email them they will check and get back to you. Before even thinking about ordering a kit from Nat Geo email CS at FTDNA and see if you are on the list for a free kit.

Comment

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you know that this is a very small list and those chosen will receive an email from Family Tree DNA. Chances are if you do not have at least a WTY and mtDNA Full Sequence test, you will not be on the list.

-Darren Marin
                    Family Tree DNA

Comment

Mine is a birthday present and no doubt it will be a joint Christmas present too

Originally posted by aeduna View Post
                      Going to suggest it makes an excellent christmas present to contribute to when people ask what to get me So early next year, probably.....

Comment

Disappointed

Hi All,

Per Ashley at FTDNA today, "From what I understand, those that were selected have already been contacted."

I wasn't contacted.

I participated in both WTY (found new SNP) and full sequence mtDNA and still didn't make the cut.

Has anyone posted that they will receive a free Geno 2.0 kit?

A.J.

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you know that this is a very small list and those chosen will receive an email from Family Tree DNA. Chances are if you do not have at least a WTY and mtDNA Full Sequence test, you will not be on the list.

-Darren Marin
                        Family Tree DNA

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                          Hi All,

Per Ashley at FTDNA today, "From what I understand, those that were selected have already been contacted."

I wasn't contacted.

I participated in both WTY (found new SNP) and full sequence mtDNA and still didn't make the cut.

Has anyone posted that they will receive a free Geno 2.0 kit?

A.J.

Hello all,

-Darren Marin
                          Family Tree DNA
                          Myself and my father had our mutations added to the latest Phylotree Build and neither of us were selected.

Comment

Sorry you didn't get selected. Lets hope your $$$ becomes SNP!
                            Originally posted by aidan View Post
                            Myself and my father had our mutations added to the latest Phylotree Build and neither of us were selected.

Comment

Qualified for the free Geno 2.0 kit

Hi,

I was happy to receive the following email today.

Anybody else get lucky?

Happy and excited!

A.J.

Hello National Geographic and Family Tree DNA customer!

Many of you are probably aware that for the last year the National Geographic Society and Family Tree DNA have been working to bring an enhanced version of the Genographic public participation kit to market. Dubbed "Geno 2.0," it makes use of a custom-designed DNA array, or "chip," that tests for nearly 150,000 markers from across the entire genome. Included in these are more than 10,000 Y-chromomsome and 3,000 mtDNA SNPs.

As part of the development process, we tested your pre-approved sample to confirm the SNPs on the chip were working, and to help with the placement of your SNPs on the tree. Your sample was chosen based on other testing you had already done with Family Tree DNA, either the Walk the Y (WTY) or mtDNA full-genome sequencing (FGS). Not only were you able to help with the testing and development of this new and exciting tool for genetic anthropology, but you were also able to make an important contribution to science.

Because your sample was used to help test the Geno 2.0 chip, your data - autosomal, mtDNA and Y (in the case of men) will be uploaded to the new National Geographic website at www.genographic.com later this fall. Therefore, there is no reason for you to order another Geno 2.0 kit to have yourself tested; if you have already done so, please contact the National Geographic customer service department at 888-557-4450 to obtain a refund.

We appreciate your assistance in helping us to create what we feel is the highest resolution test available for genetic anthropology, and we hope you will be as excited as we are about Geno 2.0.

Spencer Wells, Ph.D.

Explorer-in-Residence
                              Director, The Genographic Project
                              National Geographic Society
                              1145 17th Street NW
                              Washington, DC 20036
                              http://www.genographic.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X