My "Familias Antiguas of Baja California" project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "Familias Antiguas of Baja California" project

I have been traveling Baja California (Mexico) for over 40 years-mostly by vehicle and abt 25% by mule. During this time I got into genealogy of the many familes I met and never knew exactly WHAT kept drawing me back to the Baja peninsula. 20 yrs into my Baja travels I learned that my ancestors had come from there-early families of the soldiers and mission workers 1700 onward with many being the founding families of early Alta California (1760). I had no idea how all of this would affect my whole existence or direction in life.

Those early families of Baja California were all inter-related after the first 60 years as the Jesuits handpicked the soldiers (from mainland Mexico) early on and bringing a wife was pretty much a must as they did not want what happened on the mainland to repeat it self. Sons and daughters of those soldiers and mission workers picked their mates from those same around them with new blood arriving from the mainland every now and then. With the completion of the highway in 1975, the peninsula was really opened up with an influx of "outsiders".

I'm skipping around with a lot of the history just to give a background for what I am to ask.....

There are at least 5 surnames today that are a given to be descendants of at least 6 certain soldiers from the pre-1800s. I have spent the last 30 years researching those families and extensive genealogical information. My plan now is to start doing the Y test with 2 friends who I have traced much of their pedigrees (back to the 2 soldier-brothers w the same surname-1760).

Now because of the isolation all these years the marrying of cousins was quite common and especially in the Sierra San Francisco mountain range, the common saying is "If you throw a rock into the air anywhere in these sierras, it will drop on the head of an Arce".

The Arces go back to 2 brothers in the 1700s and I am really interested in how the Y line will play out with testing.

So with so much inbreeding will this turn into a confused mess?

I have kept good records and have over 4000 names in my database (I also am a descendant of an Arce female (1800). I want to get DNA research started as I am not getting any younger and I don't know anyone else as crazy as I am about this. I travel this mountain range by mule weeks at a time 2-3 times a year and there are many roadless ranchos that have been in these families for over 150 yrs. People know me and through the "Jungle Grapevine" they know when I'm coming.

So do I start w the basic Y test or the more expensive more markers? I will be "funding" this little project of mine so I must be very picky.

Any suggestions would be appreciated-I will be taking in 2 tests to start on my next muletrip in November. I feel that this project is very important, and as with the genealogical information, it is all FOR THE CHILDREN.

Thanks for "listening".....

Teddi Montes
    My "other" 4WD is a Baja Mule

Hello Teddi...that sounds very interesting and a lot of fun. I think the answer to your question is found in just how much money you wish to spend on your project. I am adopted and started my research with the Mt and Y12 marker tests. Ha. No way was that going to work... I now have the Y111 Marker and Family Finder along with many SNP and the Walk Through the Y. Could I afford all those? I could not; but the money was wisely spent as I have answered the questions I have long looked into. As in my case you buy the tests you can afford and as many different folks as you can. Document everything and publish what you find. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Thank you for your comments. Can you please tell me abt Walk thru the Y?

I will have access to one of the old guys who is one generation further than my two friends-he is the uncle and is over 75 and the more I think about it, he is the one I should start with and also his nephew? Should I do the basic Y for a few guys so that at least we have the samples? I presume I could upgrade the Y work as I could afford.

I don't know much abt the SNP stuff. Did the Y111 give you good info in tracing your birth lines?

Comment

Originally posted by TMontes View Post

I will have access to one of the old guys who is one generation further than my two friends-he is the uncle and is over 75 and the more I think about it, he is the one I should start with and also his nephew? Should I do the basic Y for a few guys so that at least we have the samples? I presume I could upgrade the Y work as I could afford.

I don't know much abt the SNP stuff. Did the Y111 give you good info in tracing your birth lines?
        I did not learn much from the 111 Marker. The 67 Marker told me all I needed to know. The SNP narrow your haplogroup for you and tighten up your old ancestors information. The WTY is a search of your DNA for new and unknown SNPs. It is almost to expensive now at $950. Using my 67 marker and the Family Finder I have located my father's people and even the man himself. At 72 I was running out of time. Ha.
        I was a mule man myself for years but at her death I never replaced her. I am now stuck with two horses; one to ride and one to pack.

Comment

This sounds very cool btw

The Arces go back to 2 brothers in the 1700s and I am really interested in how the Y line will play out with testing.

So with so much inbreeding will this turn into a confused mess?
          The y-chromosome inheritance won't. It will be a straight line from son to father, back through time. There's no recombination from generation to generation, so you won't have a problem picking out mixtures of male ancestors - it will just be a straight line back through time (with some tiny exceptions from time to time )

If you were looking at any autosomal testing tho, if there's a lot of inter-marrying between all the families, you might have trouble picking out accurate estimates of relationships from the DNA. It sounds like you have a lot of paper trails tho, so you should be able to sort through them all.

What testing you want to do depends on what goal you have. If its just intellectual curiosity, then you might want to write down specific things you're curious about. If you're trying to tell descendants of one brother from another that might prove to be really difficult because all their descendants will match to the father, for instance.

If you're trying to establish how many men are descendants of those hand-picked soldiers, then you'd want to establish definite descendants of them, then test other people against them.

Have you spoken to FTDNA about making it a formal project?

Comment

Teddi...what is your haplogroup? Just curious as I grew up in south Texas along the Mexican border and have some friends that are Js and their people came from Espana very early in the 1500s and later.

Comment

Working...
            X